Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDAs - recommendations

• 28-11-2006 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering where the best place to buy a PDA is? And if I were to purchase one from Ebay, are they unlockable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Just wondering where the best place to buy a PDA is? And if I were to purchase one from Ebay, are they unlockable?

PDAs aren't locked, Pocket PC phones can be but most can be easily unlocked.

Is there a paricular make and model you are looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A pocket PC phone is what I'm after actually. Sorry, this stuff is new to me :o

No particular brand in mind although I herd the XDA or Blackberry are good butboth have verious models. budget is probably max €250 so I reckon that eliinates alot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

It sounds like you are after a smartphone of some sort. The best thing to do is list what you want to do with it (in priority) and that will help narrow your search. You can go anywhere from a PDA with phone capabilities (aka XDA) to a phone with some PDA capabilities (aka nokia e series or n series).
    Then there are all the different platforms; Pocket PC, windows smartphone, Palm OS, Symbian, blackberry.......
    Ebay is good if you buy from a reputable dealer. I have bought phones, PDAs and blackberry from ebay no problem

Not sure in what order but I need it for:

Phone capabilities
    Day to day to do lists
    Calendar/Diary maintenance
    Email

There's more but that's all I got atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Sounds like you want a phone first, everything else second. if that is the case I would avoid the XDA PDA style phones as its too bog.
    Maybe take a look at;
    nokia E50, n70, n72, n73
    Blackberry 7130 or pearl
    windows xda slim phone (HTX v1240 on vodafone)
    Too be honest most decent phones can do what you want but smartphones
    do it better than reg phones i think

Are you restricted to a particular network

• Advertisement

The size thing doesn't bother me at all, I was looking at a blackberrry a while back and just decided against it at the time, now I need one for sure.

I'm with vodafone till next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Kenny 5 wrote:
    The size thing doesn't bother me at all, I was looking at a blackberrry a while back and just decided against it at the time, now I need one for sure.

I'm with vodafone till next summer.

Have a look at the Nokia E61.

Is your Email POP based or Exchange ?

I'm using Gmail man, not through outlook, just on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I cant stress how much I love my XDA IIi, it can do pretty much everything. Not only has it the usual business apps aswell as a nice large screen for web browsing but its a great multimedia package too.

Games,(can emulate SNES,GBA,PS1 etc.) Music and Movies. A 4gb SD card is around €50ish on ebay. An episode of Family guy can be converted to PDA format and is perfectly watchable @ 40mb per episode. You can get GPS packages as well as a host of 3rd party software.

I'll admit I havent looked at the latest N series phones but if the screen is pretty small it might be difficult to navigate some websites. I've had a Nokia 6600 which uses the S60 operating system the same as the current ones and found the XDA a big improvement. My 2c anyway

Advertisement