Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one is better? Taking less Mortgage and taking a personal loan or....

Options
  • 28-11-2006 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I have a silly question?

I have a mortgage approved for 360K , Term:35 years, Intr rate:4.4

Another choice is to take a personal loan for 40000 (20000+20000) and reducing the mortgage amount by 320K, Personal loan intr rate:9.0, Term 5 years

On the long term which would be better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sorry to sound sarky ITguru, but I presume you could work this out for yourself using Excel.

When you are getting your mortgage you will have to disclose the personal loans, these will be offset against your borrowing capacity.

Also, bear in mind that interest rates look like they are only going to go one way in the next five years. While mortage rate usually go up by the prescribed ECB rate changes, all bets are off with personal loans, credit cards and the like.

Personally I think the best mortgage offer is the deposit account mortgage offered by FNBS. Two years into mine and I've shaved 3 months off the total term by keeping life-savings stored in my mortage current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Personally I think the best mortgage offer is the deposit account mortgage offered by FNBS. Two years into mine and I've shaved 3 months off the total term by keeping life-savings stored in my mortgage current account.

Seems Interesting!

Could you give the First National Building Society website? The url http://www.fnbs.ie is not working!

Any other lender offering this "current account mortgage" in Ireland?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

He means First Active...

I had one of those, only thing that spoiled it for me, was poor banking services, but its a good idea.

NIB have one too. Where they take the value of all your savings and offset it against your mortgage (Provided its in an NIB acct)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

I think the best mortgage offer is the deposit account mortgage offered by FNBS. Two years into mine and I've shaved 3 months off the total term by keeping life-savings stored in my mortage current account.

How much money was in your account, that resulted in in getting a 3months off within 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 benqmark

[FONT=&quot]I have a friend who got into some trouble paying his mortgage when his wife went on unpaid maternity leave. They got behind on their mortgage and ended up going into foreclosure on their house. They were able to scrape up the money they needed to pay it off, but they are still pretty strapped and 1 month behind on their mortgage. Can you get a mortgage after almost foreclosing on your home?[/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't drag up almost two year old threads.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement