Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Radiator

Options
  • 28-11-2006 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I have a double radiator which has been lying empty in a shed for awhile . Its sound but just needs to be brightened up
    Can it be painted with a brush or be spray painted.(aerosol) Which is best and easiest. What is the best paint for the job ? Any ideas
    Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Very easy paint a radiator. I had one in my house that had been painted a dark green by the previous owner. I bought radiator paint from B&Q, waited until it was completely cold, gave it a wipe down with white spirits and painted away with a brush :) yes it really was that simple and came out, well I won't say perfect but it certainly passed the casual inspection given by most visitors. Looked a lot better that green, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

It can be painted either way by spray or brush,but seeing as you have it off wall I'd go for a spray,it means you can get into all the nooks and crannies a brush wont.

Make sure its radiator paint as normal paint will go yellow at certain temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Tks for that info folks.
    Does it have to be undercoated and glossed (eg like a door). Is the white spirit just to clean or has it some other function.
    Tks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Washing it down with White spirits is just to degrease surface before painting,make sure it wipe off any excess spirits and let dry before painting. If its fairly sound like you said and no rusting or flaking then fire away with spray.

If it was painted before use a wet/dry sanding sponge to get rid of any grit before painting/spraying.

Advertisement