Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian Sausage???

• 28-11-2006 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

There's an Italian sausage that is put on pizzas in the states, is there anywhere here that sells it by any chance?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i'd put chorizo on pizza, but i'm not sure if that's spanish or italitan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Chorizo is spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Tree wrote:
    i'd put chorizo on pizza, but i'm not sure if that's spanish or italitan
    its spanish, dam tasty though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

county wrote:
    its spanish, dam tasty though

Try it in a baguette with a nice smokey cheddar and some apple slices.

Trust me. Theres a takeaway sambo place round the back of Nassau street that does or did do it. It mostly does office catering, broke my heart when work stopped ordering from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Wikipedia says :

"In the United States, Italian sausage is a style of pork sausage which is noted for its seasoning of fennel and/or anise, containing at least 85% meat. It is made in sweet and hot styles"

...and...

"Sweet Italian sausage is the most typical topping for pizza in Chicago, Illinois."

My guess is that its not actually Italian, but rather American. You'll be lucky to find that somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

bonkey wrote:
    My guess is that its not actually Italian, but rather American. You'll be lucky to find that somewhere.

You could be right.

Someone might know if there's a shop somewhere that has it. It's quite good on the pizzas........ yum yum......

bonkey wrote:
    "Sweet Italian sausage is the most typical topping for pizza in Chicago, Illinois."

Man have you ever had chicago deep dish double layer pizza? Crust, then a layer of cheese sausage and pepperoni, followed by another layer of crust then sauce, cheese and toppings.

In restaurants they serve em baby, small, medium, and large, and **** me but you could feed the population of Mullingar with a small one.
    Celticfire wrote:
    You could be right.

Someone might know if there's a shop somewhere that has it. It's quite good on the pizzas........ yum yum......

First stop shop would be the big cheese company, just off bank street, on andrews lane in Dublin. Importers of fine cheese and american foodstuffs.

Or Magills behind the Powerscourt town house center, have a wide selection of pepperoni's and sausages. Just go into either and ask for a sweet Italian sausage similiar to US pizza topping sausage. Then theres obviously the interweb

http://www.brooklynporkstore.com/PRODUCTS/all_fresh_italian_sausage.htm

http://www.shoplocal.com/default.aspx?Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&N=133251&action=searchbroadreach&Ntk=ALL&Ntt=sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Diogenes wrote:
    First stop shop would be the big cheese company, just off bank street, on andrews lane in Dublin. Importers of fine cheese and american foodstuffs.
    Is that place still there? I thought it had closed back in 2003 sometime?

Alun wrote:
    Is that place still there? I thought it had closed back in 2003 sometime?

I've not had cause to go there in years, but I hadn't heard of it closing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats funny I just made a batch of Italian hot-sweet sausages this weekend, and I m just finishing off the last of them now after giving a good few away.
    This is the recipe I used:
    · 5 pounds pork belly
    · 1 cups very cold red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon works nicely)
    · 2 tablespoons salt
    · 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
    · 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    · 1/3 tablespoon ground coriander
    · 1 teaspoons chilli flakes
    · 3/4 teaspoons oregano
    · 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    · 1 teaspoons sugar
    · 3/4 teaspoons caraway seed
    1/3 teaspoon MSG
    Minced all the meat through the coarsest blade on my lidl sausage maker and mixed the spices through, the wine was absorbed very rapidly.
    Made about 18 25mm dia sausages that are 120mm long.
    extremely tasty mix.
    If you don't have a mincer ask your butcher to mince some pork bellies for you and just shape them into patties or sausage shapes by hand.
    edit:try and get quite fat pork bellies or they will be too dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

CJhaughey wrote:
    Thats funny I just made a batch of Italian hot-sweet sausages this weekend, and I m just finishing off the last of them now after giving a good few away.
    This is the recipe I used:
    · 5 pounds pork belly
    · 1 cups very cold red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon works nicely)
    · 2 tablespoons salt
    · 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
    · 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    · 1/3 tablespoon ground coriander
    · 1 teaspoons chilli flakes
    · 3/4 teaspoons oregano
    · 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    · 1 teaspoons sugar
    · 3/4 teaspoons caraway seed
    1/3 teaspoon MSG
    Minced all the meat through the coarsest blade on my lidl sausage maker and mixed the spices through, the wine was absorbed very rapidly.
    Made about 18 25mm dia sausages that are 120mm long.
    extremely tasty mix.
    If you don't have a mincer ask your butcher to mince some pork bellies for you and just shape them into patties or sausage shapes by hand.
    edit:try and get quite fat pork bellies or they will be too dry.

Sounds tasty , do you do shipping???? ;)

Nope sorry, just friends get lucky, sometimes.
    Seriously its not hard to make you could even scale it down to 2.5lbs which isn't much thats only 2 and a half packs of denny sausages.
    Sausages freeze well my suggestion would be to make a batch and freeze it, and use as needed.
    5lbs sounds like a lot but it isn't really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

CJhaughey wrote:
    my lidl sausage maker

Review! Review!

I'm always looking at mincing machines w/ sausage making attachments, but I can always find something wrong with what's on the shelf that puts me off buying it (not least the the price tag). What's yours like?

Cost €49.99 about 3 yrs ago.
    It is supplied with a grater attachment, a tube maker, a mincer with 3 different size holes, a biscuit maker and a sausage stuffing tube.
    The sausage tube is roughly 25mm in diameter and 100mm long, it also tapers from the machine down.
    The machine is ~400w and has a little trouble mincing large quantities of meat if the meat is not cubed first the other problem is that the connective tissue wraps around the blade stopping efficient mincing but this could be due to the loss of a washer that sits behind the archimedes screw.
    I couldn't use it with the casings I have , but a friend kindly gave me another tube made from translucent polypropylene that is about 200mm long and much smaller in diameter.
    I can fit about 6ft of casing onto this and this allows me to make a large amount of sausages in one go.
    The machine is cheap and if I go into serious production I will have to invest in a new and more powerful machine but for now I can make plenty of sausage for domestic use quite easily.
    Worth the 50euro easy andf sausage making is so much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Is it a Lidl own-brand?

I suffer from an affliction that affects many cooks, known as the Significant-Other-Says-MORE-gear-for-the-kitchen? syndrome. My brother suffers from the same thing (but he's a total gadget whore). We get around it by sneakily buying each other kitchen gifts (though the 16 inch paella pan I got in November will only be useful when I finally move to Australia and can use it for outdoor cooking).

We've had a search on for mincers with sausage-making attachments for a while now. The bro reckons the chrome plated ones have an intrinsic fault in that you'll be finding bits of chrome plating in your sausage after a couple of months of use. Neither of us want one of the hand-crank jobs that sits on a workbench like a G-clamp (I don't have the space for it for starters). However, SOSMGK? syndrome means you don't want to rock home with over £100 worth of equipment, only to use it three times and relegate it to the back of the cupboard because it's user-unfriendly.

(NB: my SO did let go of his SOSMGK tendancies this year to get me a Peugeot nutmeg mill for Christmas, so I shouldn't give out really.)

It is made by Bifinett, which seems to be sold only by Lidl so I guess that it probably is own brand.
    If you are not interested in making sausages or mincing your own meat you probably won't be interested in one.
    However mincing ones own meat allows one to buy good cheap meat and convert it into mince, without having the possible addition of lips and arseholes into the mix.
    The bifinett model is white plastic and is unlikely to introduce pieces of itself into the mix anytime soon.
    The attachments are pretty good though, I am quite fond of the grater attachment, if you like to make your own coleslaw then you will find it a good way to grate stuff.
    The attachments to make extruded biscuits and tubes of meat I have never used and probably never will.
    but for heavy duty stressfree grating and mincing and sausagemaking you can't go wrong for 50euro or 35 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

OP: I was in Terry Whelan's butchers on Parnell Street today and they had Italian sausage on special. Go get it!

Advertisement