Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for house/flat share - questions

Options
  • 28-11-2006 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a house or flat share in Dublin (using Daft) for the last month or so; so far no success. I'm not run of my feet looking at places, but I'd say I've seen about 15 by now. Some of them I've turned down flat, some of them I've been interested in but didn't get.

Anyway, what are peoples experineces with either looking for or renting out rooms in a house or flat?

I've sort of expected that the current tennants, ie. the people you'll potentially be living with, would be prepared with questions and have a bit more of a sit down and chat, but for the most part that's not really been the case. The majority of rooms I've seen have been a case of them giving me a tour of the place and then asking if I've got any questions.

Obviously I do have questions (what's the area like? bills? your work?) but after that it's usually just 'give us your name and number and we'll get back to you', and putting myself in their shoes I'm left thinking that they still don't know a thing about me -- very little chance I'm going to get the room as a result.

So is this actually the norm for these 'interviews'? any tips for better getting my case accross / better introducing myself? What to you look for when 'interviewing' a prospective housemate?

And also, do you think a gay person should make it known that they're gay? As much as I'd like that not to be an issue at all, I don't want to move in somewhere and find my hosemates are uptight homophobes, and maybe it's a (smaller) issue for the rest of you? Don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Advertisement