Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mid Week Prem fixtures

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Mad Dog wrote:
    I have to say I'm quite surprised Liverpool aren't giving a better showing this season so far but shocked over Arsenals current form, seems like they just can't take the in your face game and are a bit soft :eek: Most teams now know to get physical with them and they don't handle it too well. Also have the look of a one man team too :confused:

What one man would that be? Henry's been fairly cack all season, even when they were winning he wasn't at his best. Van Persie's had a better season than Henry so far and he's been asked to play on the wing quite alot, I think he's even on goals with Henry after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Savman wrote:
    :mad:

Was hopin you'd be on....!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

What one man would that be? Henry's been fairly cack all season, even when they were winning he wasn't at his best. Van Persie's had a better season than Henry so far and he's been asked to play on the wing quite alot, I think he's even on goals with Henry after tonight.

I think you answered your own question there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thats ok I'm sure like me Savman prefers this page: http://home.skysports.com/leaguetable.aspx?channel=football_home&cpid=8

Incase you didn't notice Villa are 5th and City are 12th :D

irish1 wrote:
    Thats ok I'm sure like me Savman prefers this page: http://home.skysports.com/leaguetable.aspx?channel=football_home&cpid=8

Ah the token response to a bad home defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, well, well. Liverpool drop another 2 pts from target. Okay, a neutral may say that Portsmouth are a top team given their league position, but really they aren't.

Does anyone know what the formation was, as I didnt see the game? From the reports, Jamie Carragher played in central midfield. As good and all as Jamie is, he is just not a player that can play in the same mould as Alonso in that position. How did he do?

Also from the reports I read, Liverpool doominated, and the attempts on goal stat would back that up, but they weren't able to convert the better chances they created. Portsmouth came for the draw, with a depleted side seemingly, and they got it.

Arsenal had a worse night it has to be said. And its once again emphasised that both teams will have a long long trek to the 3rd and 4th positions. If Wenger hasnt written himself out of winning it yet he needs to wake up.

The ladder version of the table is now:
    38 Man Utd
    35 Chelsea
    24 Portsmouth, Bolton 
    23 Aston Villa
    22 Arsenal, Liverpool, Reading  
    21 Everton      
    20 Fulham, 
    19 Tottenham, Man City

By the way, I see a new player for Liverpool got a run-out, Nabil El Zhar.; A bit of a surprise for me as a) he wasnt listed on Liverpoolfc.tv's website as being a squad player, and b) he wasn't listed as a player on any of the matchday programmes which I've read. The squad numbering stopped at 40, and he has 42. I found some info on him and I'll post it in the Liverpool rumours thread.

My prediction is still unchanged:
    CMAL

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

irish1 wrote:

4 points gap man, that's nothin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Whats the craic with Old Trafford (half) emptying before the final whistle, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what was the deal with the reebok being a quater empty the whole way through? I'd have thought chelsea would sell it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

just after watching MOTD highlights and there should have been 10 goals in that Fulham v Arsenal game. looked to be a great game. i think Henry's goal should have stood. didn't think it was offside myself. Senderos deserved to be sent off. you can't do what he did. Fulham deserve to win? i don't think so. a draw would have been a fairer result i think

Doesn't MOTD start in 15 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Doesn't MOTD start in 15 minutes?

in Northern Ireland maybe. i am watching BBC1 London

Phew, you scared a few people there. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good solid result for us again tonite, even with a scatter of players missing, thought O'shea had a solid game and got in some good challenges. Evra was immense again.
    Chelsea were all over Bolton, Bolton barely turned up. Shame as I thought Chelsea were going to drop points.
    Arsenal, brutal again, is there any other team who just lose a game without been a pack of bee utches, it couldn't happen to a nicer shower.
    Liverpool, best part of this match was seeing on MOTD team listing "Bellamy missing due to court case", legend player. But for the other 4 teams above been as sh*te then they would not even deserve a UEFA cup spot. Challenging for the league, your having a laugh...... Need to go and find a striker as fat boy and kuyt don't look like they will be making the top scorers list.

Now Man City were very good, worringly so heading towards a derby, they have a few very decent players with Dunne, Barton, Trabelsi, Corradi, Samaras, with the type of football they are playing they deserve a UEFA cup spot, but can they keep their consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

yop wrote:
    Need to go and find a striker as fat boy and kuyt don't look like they will be making the top scorers list.
    For a start your wit is so good, I don't know who you are talking about when you say "fat-boy". Is it a joke about how skinny Crouch is? Or a pop at Fowler? Either way, good one, ha.....

Secondly Kuyt has five league goals, only three of top scorer, and has played fewer league games than most in the list. He's not doing too bad. In fact his overall play is one of the few definite plus points to a sluggish start to the season.

Yop If I was you I would edit that post before a mod see's it, it has a ban written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm not quite sure who fat boy is, I feel so out of the loop.

Another semi decent night for United, every week it seems to become more and more of a 2 horse race, with either Arsenal or Liverpool, or both, dropping points.

Bolton had some chances to score against Chelsea, some pretty good ones, especially the one at the very end, so it's kinda disappointing they couldn't get anything off them.

Big week coming up for United now, Boro (A), Benfica (H), City (H)
    All those teams have been bogey teams for United in the past, but we need three wins out of three, so it's gona be tense :) As was pointed out on MOTD, if we can win those two premiership games, by the time Chelsea play next, we'll be 9 points ahead, and they'll be playing Arsenal.

yop wrote:
    Now Man City were very good, worringly so heading towards a derby, they have a few very decent players with Dunne, Barton, Trabelsi, Corradi, Samaras, with the type of football they are playing they deserve a UEFA cup spot, but can they keep their consistency.

It's City, of course they can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Definitely need 2 wins in the league games to open up a nice gap and then hope the gooners can raise their game or put away a couple of the many, many chances that they create every game.

Hilarious listening to Arsene Whinger again last night complaining about the amount of games and when they are scheduled. You would think it was his first season in the Premier League and that his shower were the only ones playing twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

redspider wrote:
    Well, well, well. Liverpool drop another 2 pts from target. Okay, a neutral may say that Portsmouth are a top team given their league position, but really they aren't.

Typical arrogant attitude of fans from the "Big Four".

Pompey are above "Pool because they have scored more goals and conceded less. (Even though Ray Houghton seems to think we have trouble scoring, wtf!)

Ask Boro how good we are, ask Blackburn, Ask reading. OK Man U and Chelsea both played us off the pitch, but in reality, Chelsea were lucky to get away with all three points as we could easily have snatched an equaliser in the dieing minutes.

I know Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U fans think teams like Pompey should roll over and die for them, but sorry, Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I know Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U fans think teams like Pompey should roll over and die for them, but sorry, Not going to happen.
    They did against Newcastle, twice already.

kinaldo wrote:
    They did against Newcastle, twice already.

and Newcastle are a "Big" team are they:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Bigger than Pompey, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Typical arrogant attitude of fans from the "Big Four".

Pompey are above "Pool because they have scored more goals and conceded less. (Even though Ray Houghton seems to think we have trouble scoring, wtf!)

Ask Boro how good we are, ask Blackburn, Ask reading. OK Man U and Chelsea both played us off the pitch, but in reality, Chelsea were lucky to get away with all three points as we could easily have snatched an equaliser in the dieing minutes.

Well, dont take me up wrong. I'm as much for those teams that have not done well in the past, and which dont have the financial income or spending to do well, the category that many call the 'smaller clubs'. By no means do I think they should roll over. And, evidence is that they dont, that they in fact try and raise their game in more cases than not against the 'bigger clubs'.

The Big-4 is a reasonably apt label as it is descriptive of the incomes and the spending of those four clubs (CMAL) as well as their success in the league and the cups in England as well as in Europe.

I admit that the term the 'also-rans' has derogatory undertones, but you will see in my post that I am putting the team I follow (Liverpool) into that category now, as this season the league is clearly a 2-horse race.

I hope Portsmouth do well. Indeed, out of the chasing pack they are a club that deserve as much success as they can muster. They are punching well above their weight in terms of what they are spending annually.

However, I hope Pompey's success doesnt come at the expense of Liverpool. Last night, it did, and from a Liverpool perspective we should have ben aiming for 3 pts last night. I think 'Arry will be pleased with a point as he will see it as a point gained. Also, given what went on the field of play, Liverpool created the vast majority of the danger and deserved to get all 3 pts. Such is football though. Liverpool played similar against Man City and did get the 3 pts there - you win some, you draw some, you lose some.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    Well, dont take me up wrong. I'm as much for those teams that have not done well in the past, and which dont have the financial income or spending to do well, the category that many call the 'smaller clubs'.

They are punching well above their weight in terms of what they are spending annually.

Wait a second, this is Pompey we're talking about, right?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Wait a second, this is Pompey we're talking about, right?

We have a supposedly wealthy owner now, but our record signing still stands at £4.5m. Compare that to Brum who spent a fortune and still got relegated.

Kanu was a free, Campbell was a free, James cost £1m and our mot influential player, Pedro Mendes (Thanks Spurs, why on earth did you sell him:D ) was part of a three payer package (Which included Sean Davies and Noe pomerot) valued at £12m.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Portsmouth have a decent squad and built on small funds. But don't they have money to spend in Jan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

(Thanks Spurs, why on earth did you sell him:D ) .

because we had a surplus of midfield players, and mendes wasnt going to get a game every week.
    he wanted to go and play football, so he was allowed to leave.

personally, i liked him, but as murinho has said, he is a workhorse. i would have preferred sean davies to stay. but then again, we had routledge, carrick, lennon, reid, davids, jenas, tainio. he was really a third choice player across all positions.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Ah the token response to a bad home defeat.

:) Yea it was a bad defeat very bad in fact, but I knew a home defeat was coming soon, we haven't played well in our lastfew games, and our squad is very small to have to play so many games close together.

Evryone has been talking Villa up because of the good start they I have made but I predicted a few weeks ago we would finish 6th or 7th and I still thinks thats the best we can do. The main positive is the fact O'Neill has made such a good start with more or less the same squad which should help him get quality players in January and more so in the summer.

Villa have real money to spend and if O'Neill spends it wisely I would be hoping Villa could contest for 3rd or 4th or 5th next season and build from there. You can't expect to go from bottom 6 to top 6 in one season with only 1 or 2 new players.

• Advertisement

yop wrote:
    Portsmouth have a decent squad and built on small funds. But don't they have money to spend in Jan?

supposedly, providing interpol or Mossad don't get in the way :rolleyes:

maybe I should start a "Pompey rumours and Transfers" thread :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Whats the craic with Old Trafford (half) emptying before the final whistle, anyone?

Only began to empty after O Shea knocked in the third goal. There was only a couple of mins left at that stage.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Only began to empty after O Shea knocked in the third goal. There was only a couple of mins left at that stage.

I guess the Everton fans were the last to leave as they didn't have as far to go as the Man fans:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I guess the Everton fans were the last to leave as they didn't have as far to go as the Man fans:D

Strangeways isnt too far alright. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Stekelly wrote:
    what was the deal with the reebok being a quater empty the whole way through? I'd have thought chelsea would sell it out.

They couldn't even sell out for Utd, and they're only down the road...:rolleyes:

Advertisement