Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions: external cladding/thermawall tw53

Options
  • 28-11-2006 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone has any experience of external insulation
    at the moment we feel a block/full filled bead 100mm cavity/block is going to give poor insulation so would like to go with some sort of external insulation -
    however for our 2200 square foot house single story we have estimated prices at 20,000 which to be quite honest is light years away from our budget as we are building on very low budget young family etc.
    i have several questions about external insulation and if any one has any experience i would be most grateful for any input at all.
    1) is there a standard thickness of externall cladding?
    2)is it difficult to fit? (could i fit it myself and just get the plasterer along for the final render)
    3)are my cost estimates correct at 20000 for 240 square metres of facing wall
    4)how much extra roof overhang and/or foundation do you need
    5)how does placing the doors and windows work regarding how recessed into the building they are.
    6)what are the alternatives

alot of qustions i know but any answers at all welcome - i have been searching and googling alot but could do with the voivce of experience!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

1) Is there a standard thickness of externall cladding? It ranges from 50mm to 200mm

2)Is it difficult to fit? Relatively easy (could i fit it myself and just get the plasterer along for the final render) Possibly, but you may need to come on site with us to learn by doing.

3)Are my cost estimates correct at €20,000 for 240 square metres of facing wall? Our prices range from €40/m2 to €55/m2 depending on what material you are using and what thickness.

4)How much extra roof overhang and/or foundation do you need?
    Depends on the thickness of insulation for the roof overhang and no extra foundations are needed.

5)How does placing the doors and windows work regarding how recessed into the building they are? Put the doors and windows to the outside of the block wall and the insulation covers half the frame.

6)What are the alternatives? There are some alternatives on my website, I am not looking for work as we are more than busy but there is a lot of info here www.viking-house.net.

Advertisement