Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with new puppy

Options
  • 28-11-2006 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

I've just gotten a male jack russell. he's about 7weeks old. just wondering what are the best tips for housetraining him? also he whines and barks at night and we're not sure whether it's better to leave him whine or take him in with us to keep him company. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The basic rule of houstraining:

After every feed, after every play session and after every nap ...take him outside and praise him for doing his business there.

A seven week old pup will not yet be able to hold it all night. So in the interest of sucessful houstraining, it would be a good idea to have him sleep in a little box by your bed and as soon as he starts to get restless ...take him outside (keep a warm coat and the wellies handy:D )

Furthermore, by sleeping by your bed, you can let your hand dangle into the box where he's sleeping ...that way he will be close to you which will make it much easier for him to feel at home in his new surroundings.

He's just been ripped away from his mother and siblings, he's lonely, insecure and afraid ...make it easy on him.

You can still give him a different place to sleep later on, once he sleeps through the night and has become used to you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I found crate training great with my dogs, they fed, napped, slept and chewed toys in it, everytime they were finished I took them out the back. I never really had to house train them using the crate and now don't use the crate at all.

Advertisement