Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are joysticks really that bad?

• 28-11-2006 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about gettin a k750i but is the joystick a major issue cos if it is i probably get the 6280

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Apparently it's a fault across all Sony Ericsson phones. I have a K700i, and the joystick started giving me trouble after a few months. I love the SE user interface, but the crappy joystick has put me off buying another phone from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mine is finicky too, have to push it a few times to egt anything moving, I've asked a few times on here where I can get it cleaned but no one answers! :(
    Somewhere near Celbridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

yup the one on my v6001i is sometimes so bbad that if i wanna scroll down on a piece of text I have to lift up the joystick with 2 of my fingers or else it will think I'm pressing it down and go to send/reply
    its damn annoying, never gettin an se again.
    does anyone know if I can reture it for this? it also freezes sometimes, got it june, 5-6 mí ó shin.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had the same problems with a SE phone (model no. escapes me now) but after about 6 months it just started acting up, sometimes working, most times not. Then it just stopped working, and I just stopped buying any phone with those joysticks, in favour of phones which navigate with D-pad kind of buttons

I think it's just a case of the contacts inside the joystick aren't well protected from the likes of dust and grime and eventually it stops contact being made, whereas with the buttons, there is usually a membrane across all the contacts to protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

So i should go with the 6280.Anyone know any other good 2megpix camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Yeah its quite annoying although can easily be fixed just give it a blast of air at a petrol station and will keep it going for another while

Sony Ericsson have fixed this with the w810i and w900i by putting a d-pad in and the same with the w850i so theres no need to move away from SE cause they really do make fantastic phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Too late, I have an LG Chocolate beside me charging for the first time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

carrotcake wrote:
    Apparently it's a fault across all Sony Ericsson phones. I have a K700i, and the joystick started giving me trouble after a few months. I love the SE user interface, but the crappy joystick has put me off buying another phone from them.

I've been a sonyericsson user starting with a t610, k700, k608 and now k800. All of my old handsets are in use with other people at the moment and have not had any failures on their joysticks. I also worked for o2 during the summer there in one of their experience stores and the rate of returns on sonyericssons with joystick problems was not greater than other handsets being stocked by the store. Its the one weakness the phones have (caused by dirt accumulation under the joystick) and apparently the designers have solved it on all the new models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The SE 610im does not have a joystick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

do you have a link? I searched it, the k610im came up, but that does have joystick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I used a few SE phones and never had any major problems but my sister did have, and my girlfriends brothers one was in bits after a few months.

My favourite 'joystick' phone was probably the Nokia 6600, was great for playing emulators and games, used 2 or 3 of them, very well built and designed phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

maxitwist, the K610im does not have a joystick. I own one so I know. The knob in the middle just looks like a joystick, but in actual fact it is a button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

had really bad problems with the W800i joystick as has been described all over the internet. Sent it away under warranty to be fixed and came back telling me there was water damage externally which I totally dispute as the phone was never exposed to water (at the charging contacts) and thats the reason they told me the joystick wasn't working. Have since left meteor because paying €345 for a phone and them not fixing it after 8 months is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

What about the k800i joysticks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah its quite annoying although can easily be fixed just give it a blast of air at a petrol station and will keep it going for another while

Sony Ericsson have fixed this with the w810i and w900i by putting a d-pad in and the same with the w850i so theres no need to move away from SE cause they really do make fantastic phones
    Tis good to see they've seen the error of their ways and fixed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I found the disassembly guide for a T630 online somewhere (random Googling FTW), and tried cleaning out the joystick on two of these (brother's and a friend's) with contact cleaner (isopropyl alcohol spray) and a can compressed air. Made a bit of an improvement but they still weren't great.

To take them apart, all I needed was a small Torx screwdriver (T3, T4 or T5 - I forget) and some flat things for pryin'.

Advertisement