Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Soundtracks, esp those of Yann Tiersan

Options
  • 28-11-2006 8:03pm

HI, I dont know if its classical in the classical sense(Drumroll), but I just thought id start a thread saying how brilliant yann tiersan is..Hes been getting serious airtime in the car lately..Hes a genius..Check out the amelie or goodbye lenin soundtracks to begin with..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Not classical alright, but you'll get the best response here.

To be honest I haven't heard much of Yann Tiersan, but from what I have heard (very little) his stuff is quite lovely.

Perhaps you could change the title to film scores, and we could discuss our favourite composers and music?

Lately, I can't get enough of Hans Zimmer. His stuff is so powerful (but he can keep it quiet aswell). Check out the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest soundtrack. Great stuff.

It'll have you jumping off your seat! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm quite happy to change the title to Film Score music if the OP wants.

Yann Tiersan's Amelie soundtrack is one of my favourite things to listen to when I'm in a quiet mood.

Hi, yeah change it away..im not sure how to (if i can)..i just mentioned the two soundtracks as they'd be the 2 most people would know first..his other material too though, i guess im just on a bit of a yann tiersan buzz at the minute..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

i guess im just on a bit of a yann tiersan buzz at the minute..
    Well that's totally understandable :)

Hi, yeah change it away..im not sure how to (if i can)..i just mentioned the two soundtracks as they'd be the 2 most people would know first..his other material too though, i guess im just on a bit of a yann tiersan buzz at the minute..
    What other music has he composed?

Edit: Just remembered where I heard his name before......

Didn't he do some collaboration with Neil Hannon? A David Bowie song if I remember correctly?

• Advertisement

Yes, la jours tristesse..was it a david bowie song?..i was listening to it for about a month going 'I know that voice' until it hit me that it was neil hannon..its mr. hannon singing over a track from amelie..Never ceases to put a smile on my face though..He did a track with that guy from Tindersticks too, the name escapes me..La Phare & Rue des Cascades are two more quality albums..and it turns out i spelt his name wrong..again..

I was thinking of Life on Mars from the Black Session album, but they must have done more together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 violatom

have a peek at this if you like Yann Tiersen. Just another reason to admire him! And on the Hans Zimmerness, Gladiator is slightly overrated - suitable for the film maybe, but sounds just like Holst!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLfO5LWysM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

i suggest the waking life soundtrack by the tosca tango orchestra, not really 'classical' by definition but its still awesome, also the ninth gate soundtrack by kilar (cant spell his first name) also if your not limited to film soundtracks the soundtrack for the legend of zelda: ocarina of time by koji kondo (the orchestral version not the midi version) is pretty...awe inspiring and any of the final fantasy orchestral soundtracks are pretty great too and the lord of the rings soundtracks and anything by danny elfman i cant think of any other soundtracks i listen to regularly except yann tiersan's

Advertisement