Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying a Laptop please

• 28-11-2006 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi,
    My girlfriend is currently looking to buy a new laptop. The main issue is finding one that is lightweight and compact (small screen size etc.)
    Obviously price is an issue, not willing to pay over the odds. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also I won a bid for a Dell PC on Ebay today from their factory outlet.
    Item number: 270059523433
    any good ideas for upgrades?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Check out laptops in the various retail outlets first. PC World, Harvey Normans, Dixons etc. That way you'll have an idea what weight suits best and maybe your price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

and try to find some good internet shops ........eu only though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

is_that_so wrote:
    Check out laptops in the various retail outlets first. PC World, Harvey Normans, Dixons etc. That way you'll have an idea what weight suits best and maybe your price range.

Generally speaking, you get better deals (i.e. cheaper) on line. Check out the likes of Dell and laptopsdirect.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to laptops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Agreed but it is also good to lift them up and touch them first. Some people find 2.7kg light whereas for others it's a tonne weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

There's one in PC world which I think might be ideal for what your looking for. It's a bit pricey though, 1100 yoyo. Here's a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

ianwalsh2 wrote:
    There's one in PC world which I think might be ideal for what your looking for. It's a bit pricey though, 1100 yoyo. Here's a link

I bought that laptop (the X53) last month and so far I think its great. Im loving the 4 hour battery (after having two other laptops, one with approx 1.5 hours and the other < 1 hour battery life) its great. Its very light and so small but the screen is still good. It runs everything I need it to just perfectly. There probably are better machines for the price, but I just love this one.

Advertisement