Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help..pheasant preparation

• 28-11-2006 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

howdy all ..got a pheasant yesterday from a lad in work.. where do i start? do i let it hang first? how do i cook? do i roast like a chicken? any info much appreciated.ta :) :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Firstly, you should hang the bird by the neck for four or five days in a cool, dry place. You'll then need to pluck & draw (remove the innards) the bird. Do a google for instructions on this. Someone around here recommended the River Cottage site for this some time ago.

If this is your first time doing pheasant - you may prefer to skin the bird rather than pluck it. It is a lot easier, but it may limit your range of recipes without the skin.

Here's a quick recipe that I tried recently:
    1 Pheasant, skinned & jointed
    2 Eating apples, peeled, cored & sliced 1cm thick (cooking apples tend to disintegrate)
    1 Pint of cider (I used some gorgeous organic stuff from my local supermarket that I can't remember the name of)
    Bayleaf
    Thyme
    Black peppercorns (rough crushed)
    Salt
    Seasoned flour
    Olive Oil
    Butter
    Cream

Method:
    Preheat oven to 160C.
    Wash the pheasant pieces & pat dry with paper towels.
    Toss peices in seasoned flour & remove excess.
    On a medium heat fry the pieces in a pan using a few knobs of butter & a splash of olive oil until browned.
    Remove & place in a casserole or oven-proof dish with bayleaf, peppercorns & thyme.
    Lower heat & gently fry apple slices until coloured.
    Place on top of pheasant pieces in dish.
    Bring up heat in pan & add 1/4 pint of cider to deglaze.
    Scrape up all bits off the bottom of the pan.
    Pour mixture over apples & pheasant in dish.
    Add remaining cider, then season with salt.
    Cook in oven for 35-40 mins.
    Before serving - add a splash of cream to the sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chilledout

nice one hill billy, will give that recipie a go . cheers.:cool:

Advertisement