Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statestreet boss points to Kilkenny Infrastructural deficit

• 28-11-2006 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many businesses have been put off full stop from locating here after experiencing the N9 road from Dublin??

http://www.kilkennyadvertiser.ie/index.php?aid=3509
    A leading Kilkenny company has said that road infrastructure and difficulty in staffing are the only negative aspects about its Kilkenny location.

Speaking at a presentation to a meeting of Kilkenny Borough Council this week, Cathal Smyth Vice President and General Manager of State Street, said that Kilkenny was an ideal location for their investment bank business, however, the road from Dublin to Kilkenny was a downside. He also said that one of the company's biggest problems was getting staff.

State Street bank which has been situated in the Marble City for five years was formerly Deutsche Bank which was acquired by State Street in 2003. It provides custody and asset management services to institutional investors worldwide and while it is not a traditional bank in a banking sense it takes care of 48 clients, 406 funds and over $202 billion in mutual fund assets.

Speaking to the members of the local authority, Mr Smyth said that the main challenges to State Street was recruitment. He said that they have recently recruited ten Polish people to work at the Kilkenny bank as they cannot find staff closer to home. There are already 300 people employed by the company in Kilkenny at its Loughboy location.

Mr Smyth told the members, "there are about 1,500 people employed by State Street in Ireland including its Dublin base. Kilkenny was chosen as a location as it is a lovely city, it had an advance factory that we could immediately move into in Loughboy and there were available graduates from WIT and CIT close by. Sixty per cent of our employees are from Kilkenny city and county, while the balance travel from Waterford, Carlow, Clonmel, Carrick-on-Suir and even Portlaoise. The majority of staff are graduates - 25 per cent from WIT. The average age of staff is 26 and therefore we are a young company with good promotional opportunities. However, this means that we also lose employees who want to travel to Australia and do other things before they settle down and this is why we felt the need to travel to Poland for recruitment purposes. Experienced staff are hard to come by. People have so many options more than they had."

The road to Dublin was also mentioned as a negative aspect of locating to Kilkenny. "When we have clients from abroad - and most of our clients are in New York or London - it is awkward to bring them to Kilkenny as the road is so bad, however, they love coming here but the infrastructure is off-putting for them. The roads are definitely a drawback,' said Mr Smyth.

State Street has also been very generous to local charities and their local charities committee donated ?40,000 this year based on staff and matched company contributions. Donations were made to Friends of St Lukes, Loughboy Area Resource Centre, Amber Women's Refuge, Ossory Youth, Autism Society , Enable Ireland and others.

State Street was also the winner of the KPMG Excellence in Financial Services award 2006.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've always heard that argument made here in Waterford, but I had never heard it said about Kilkenny. In fairness, the Kilkenny-Dublin road is not too bad compared to the southern section of the N9.

The current Dublin-KK road is of course now insufficient, but it would have been considered to be quite good up until a few years ago.

Happily of course, an upgrade is well under way. Quite a bit of activity around Carlow now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The N9 route from Dublin to Kilkenny is brutal. I always travel via the M7-Abbeyleix-Durrow-Ballyragget-Kilkenny route now. Once you hit the M7 its brilliant. The traffic lights in Abbeyleix can be a pain in the ass but it still beats the N9. The sooner the new Waterford-Dublin road is finished, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Try driving Waterford to Kilkenny and you will know the meaning of brutal

Oh I know, believe me :mad:

That's got to be the worst "primary" road in the country. Waterford and Carlow are both pretty much equidistant from Kilkenny, but it takes twice as long to get to Waterford due to the sh1t road.

Bards wrote:
    Try driving Waterford to Kilkenny and you will know the meaning of brutal

That's my commute by the way... and it takes 55 minutes minimum.

Roll on the new road, and if anyone objects to it, let them come to my house, where I'll be waiting with a baseball bat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This N9 has been the most underfunded national road in the country for the last 20 years or so. Apart frm the Moone bypass and the Kilcullen link precious litttle has been invested in it further south.
    I blame the inability of our Kilkenny's TDs to stand up for and represent the county and surrounding counties interests regarding this vital road. It has taken a Waterford politician to push the N9 upgrade at last to the top of NRA prioirity; and not a moment too soon; travelling on the N9 south of Gowran or N10 south of Danesfort is a nerve wrecking experience at the best of times.
    Such a pity we've had to wait so long for upgrade (and only part of it has started).
    As for going to Dubli via the M7, yes it's great until you come to Portlaoise then you hve the congested N8 and that joke of a road between KK and Durrow.I just go by Athy usually, at least it's a bit quiter and you aviod Carlow..

Don't get off the motorway at the Portlaise exit - get off at the far side of Portlaoise near Abbeyleix (Midway hotel), so you avoid the town altogether. I think that exit is signposted Cork/Limerick.
    Then you only have crap roads from Durrow to Kilkenny ;)

Yea I know you have the M7 all the way from Portlaoise to Dublin, I went that way a few times mostly cos I had business up that way; to go that way especially to Dublin from KK I don't think is any big advantage as it's at least 10 miles longer whic cancels any time saving you might make unfortunately!

Actually the NRA had looked at bringing the N9 Waterford road via Durrow to link up with the N7/8 to save on construction costs but they decided against as it would leave Carlow out on a limb, unserved by motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Im amazed at the speed the 19km Carlow bypass is happening,many of the slip roads are tarmaced and the flyovers are almost complete,whats the betting it will be finished before the Kilkenny ring road extension.(4 km single lane)

It's being built by ASCON same people who are building the Waterford CIty Bypass and recently complete M6 kinnegad (Ahead of schedule by about 12 months) At this rate I expect the Carlow bypass to be opened by this time next year....

ASCON also have the contract for the Waterford to Knocktopher of the N9.. work is schedule to commence in March 2007 and take 24 months. Again going on track record I would say 18Months top... so by end of 2008 HQDC from Knocktopher to the Waterford City Bypass Tie-in and hopefully a finished bypass at that (Again ahead of schedule).... Happy days:D

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Regan Civil Engineering take their time farting about with the ring road in Kilkenny :(

Stephen wrote:
    Meanwhile Regan Civil Engineering take their time farting about with the ring road in Kilkenny :(

So true, the mind boggles as to why they got that contract. By now we should be seeing action to tie in at the Carlow road roundabout with the new section, instead there isn't a sign of this happening. And this was supposed to be finished May 2007..May 2008 more like it!! I'm not sure if they have even begun realigning the Waterford/Dublin railway line for the N77 overpass which I would reckon is one of the biggest aspects of the whole project:rolleyes: .

Latest twist in the ring road saga

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=2594&ArticleID=1938668

=======================================================
    Fears of cheaper bridge for ring road extension
    There might be a major change in plan for the 'feature bridge' of the city's ring road.
    The Kilkenny People has learned that the contractors employed to build the elaborate Ballyfoyle Road Bridge over the ring road extension has submitted an alternative design.
    Regan Civil Engineering Ltd of Kilcullen, Co Kildare was contracted some years ago to build the extension. As part of the project, it was to erect a bridge to carry the Ballyfoyle road over the new road, which was to be dug down into a trench. A company called Atkins designed an ornate bridge with an elliptical arch for the site near Kilkenny Golf Club.
    A model was put on display when the entire scheme was presented to the people of Kilkenny at an oral pre-planning meeting. Its graceful curves and ellipse met with widespread approval from locals, who were impressed with its geometry. It was this bridge that was shown in the submission that got planning permission, but it's now feared that the builder's new plans involve a much plainer bridge.
    "The contractor has submitted, for consideration by the council, an alternative design for the proposed Ballyfoyle Road bridge," confirmed county council director of services Michael Delahunty. But he added that the council had not yet decided on the submission.
    Being evaluated
    "The design is being evaluated and our evaluation is not yet complete," he said. "It is not unusual within construction contracts for successful contractors to submit alternative designs for aspects of projects, including bridges, for approval by the council." Mr Delahunty added that it would be some time yet before any decision was made.
    A number of residents and politicians have expressed concern that the contractor is trying to get out of building the unusual structure and proposing something much simpler. One caller to the Kilkenny People said he was disturbed that "this square box of big concrete beams will appear at eye level in the distance as the road slopes down".
    He said it would be wrong of Kilkenny Co Council or the National Roads Authority to approve the alternative. "There'll be outrage if that happens," he warned.
    Government TD John McGuinness has also heard that the new plan involves a simpler bridge. "I'm told it's quite plain and insignificant, not what was promised," he said. He also would be disappointed if such an alternative got council approval.
    Cost-saving measure
    "The local people were promised a feature bridge. It was part and parcel of the overall ring road scheme," he said. "Now it transpires that, as a cost-saving measure and because of all the overruns, the design of that has been compromised."
    He said it would be unacceptable if what was promised was not delivered. "The general public would be shortchanged," he said. "It would be quite disappointing for the residents, who expected more." He pointed out that the Ballyfoyle road was just a country road, which will now be crossed by a busy route. "At least they were going to get a nice bridge," he said of local people.
    Deputy McGuinness met the county manager and director of services on Monday and told them that anything short of what was promised would not be acceptable.
    "The council should meet to discuss it and insist on the bridge being constructed according to the original plan," he said. "It's down to the management of the whole scheme, the overruns and the problems with contractors."
    Another Fianna Fáil politician has expressed concerns about a change of plan to the council. County councillor Pat Fitzpatrick said he has been asking the same question over and over. "Is the feature bridge staying?" he has asked both the county manager and director of services. "I can't get an answer." He added that councillors have not been provided with a copy of the alternative plan. "There's frustration among the public and some of the members," he said.
    "It was really going to stand out and look well," he said of the Atkins design. "I'm worried it's now going to be very basic and cheaper, that the bridge is one of the areas where they're cutting back," he said.
    Full review
    "I hope that when the new director of services takes over, a full review of progress will be taken to insure it's expedited and that he'll issue members (of the council) with a complete update."
    For its part, Regan Civil Engineering Ltd said it was in a contract with the council and could not comment on its submission. "The bridges we're doing on site are what are required," said a spokesman for the company. "We're doing what we're contractually obliged to do. Hopefully, everyone will be able to see it when it's finished in March."
    The model of the original bridge, which was displayed in the Road design office in the city, seems to have vanished. Neither politicians nor this newspaper have been able to access it. As for the company's design, both Michael Delahunty and the spokesman for Regan said they could not unveil it yet.
    "As the matter is still being deliberated on, plans and details of the proposal are not yet available," said Mr Delahunty. "I cannot therefore release any plans of the revised design."
    The ring road's original plans were published in 1999. The entire project, including the Ballyfoyle Road bridge, is due to be completed this summer.

20 December 2006

FFS. What a bunch of ****.

Unbelievable isn't it? I can never understand how/why Regans got this contract in the 1st place. And no mention of the railway overpass; I dread tot think what they are (not) even doing there!

On the N9 (the most vital new road for Kilkennys and the regions future prosperity) I see it was mentioned (among other projects) by the ERSI as 'not being properly costed and lacks a cost/benefit analysis' or something to that effect in the news today:rolleyes: ..

mfitzy wrote:
    Unbelievable isn't it? I can never understand how/why Regans got this contract in the 1st place. And no mention of the railway overpass; I dread tot think what they are (not) even doing there!

On the N9 (the most vital new road for Kilkennys and the regions future prosperity) I see it was mentioned (among other projects) by the ERSI as 'not being properly costed and lacks a cost/benefit analysis' or something to that effect in the news today:rolleyes: ..

A certain Trinity professor quotes a Goodbody report to that affect but says that it only relates to the metro not the roads aspect of it... Amazing how the university sector will quote one Goodbody report for one thing bit will dismiss another Goodbody report on the need for a Univeristy in the S.E as rubbish

hi5 wrote:
    Im amazed at the speed the 19km Carlow bypass is happening,many of the slip roads are tarmaced and the flyovers are almost complete,whats the betting it will be finished before the Kilkenny ring road extension.(4 km single lane)

Progress has been great over the summer and autumn on this sretch indeed.My worry is what happens though in a couple of years time when the Carlow BP and Knocktopher sections of the N9 are on stream and traffic will be exiting off the new road stretches and onto the existing sections and on through Thomastown and Castledermot (just take a look at Abbeyleix now since the M7 was completed to Plaoise!!!- it'll surely make them even worse for a while at least til it's fully finished. Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it I suppose...

from Today's Irish Independent
    =======================

WORK on a key motorway is four months ahead of time.

Parts of the new N9/N10 road linking Dublin to Waterford are now ahead of its planned completion date. The 110km road, which is costing in excess of €1.1bn, is forecast to knock an average of 56 minutes off the journey.

Construction along the 19km stretch of road began in May of last year and is now four months ahead of its 2008 completion target.

The Carlow bypass project will remove 9,000 vehicles a day from the town's streets.

The new bypass becomes the second leg of the N9 to have started, with the Waterford City route now also in construction.

The Carlow to Waterford section is next, with work to start on the first stage of this section this year.

Work on the final legs, Carlow to Kilcullen and Carlow to Knocktopher which are well advanced and through statutory procedure stage, will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NewYorkJoe

How many lanes on this new road? I hope its two each side because otherwise you just get caught behind some slow moving truck or something. Then you have to try and overtake which is madness in this day and age on a main road. If its one lane its going to be outdated before its built. The government need to get serious about building roads that are up to international standards.

NewYorkJoe wrote:
    How many lanes on this new road? I hope its two each side because otherwise you just get caught behind some slow moving truck or something. Then you have to try and overtake which is madness in this day and age on a main road. If its one lane its going to be outdated before its built. The government need to get serious about building roads that are up to international standards.

The whole lot will be a dual carriageway (two lanes in either direction, central median or barrier, plus access only at flyover junctions if I understand correctly).

See links:
    www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/MajorRoadSchemesinPlanning/#d.en.543
    www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/SchemeActivity-2007/#N9CarlowBypass

The links from Kilkenny to this road in the Waterford and Dublin directions will be two lanes only, but since the road will pass a lot closer to KK city than the present N9, it should be only a short journey to the new road.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell the 'progress' on the Ring Road has been brutal. I was out the Pocoke side of town the other day and i my opinion there is not a hope of it opening by summer. I hope I'm wrong of course.
    What the hell have they been doing out there? Pissing about wouldn't be the word for it...

They've only started work on it again a few weeks ago after a few months of nothing happening. They appear to be laying tarmac on it in (small) sections at the moment, but haven't even started building the bridge at the Ballyfoyle road. Are they still disputing that with the council?

Stephen wrote:
    They've only started work on it again a few weeks ago after a few months of nothing happening. They appear to be laying tarmac on it in (small) sections at the moment, but haven't even started building the bridge at the Ballyfoyle road. Are they still disputing that with the council?

I see they are after breaking through at the Carlow roundabout there.
    I heard the company was on a go-slow for a while. The mind boggles as to why they would lay tarmac on the approach to that bridge when its not even built yet:rolleyes: !

On a happier note work is just starting on the Waterford- Kilkenny new dual carriageway, Ascon are setting up site in Mullinavat...

The sod was turned yesterday on the new Waterford-Kilkenny motorway which will go a long to start rectifying Kilkenny's woeful National road network; A great day for Kilkenny imo, even better when it opens in 2 or so years;)

Link to speech at sod-turning event;
    http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=8819&lang=ENG&loc=2127

Advertisement