Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 yr old won't go to bed

Options
  • 29-11-2006 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

My (just) 3 year old was brilliant to go to bed. Story, lights out and that was it until morning.
    In the past 2 months or so it has gone downhill. It started with him wanting the door left open, then he wanted the light on, then he wanted to sleep in another bed with the light on and toys, now he wants someone to lie with him while he goes to sleep. He can be up and down until 10.30 some nights if someone doesn't stay with him and can deteriorate into hysterics. He talks about being afraid of dragons and I do know he got a terrible fright while watching Shrek. I am trying to just pick him up and bring him back to bed every time he gets up but alot of the time I have only left the room and he's after me. It can go on for hours and is physically and mentally wrecking.
    I tend to deal with him at bedtime because my husband loses his temper after 10 mins. He has also started coming into our bed during the night. When put back to bed he cries because of the dragon again.
    I'd appreciate any advice as it's causing huge stress in the house.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It could be the film but it also it could be he became aware of the dark with the change of seasons.

Have you tried a night light ?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

I thought the 'Supernanny' method was most effective

1st time out of bed - take them back with the words " time for bed now darling"
    2nd time - take them back w. the words " time for bed now"
    3rd....nth time - take them back into bed and say nothing

it's desperately tedious for the first few evenings, but stay consistent and it does work.

if he has a thing about the room - can you move him to another room for a few weeks - in the mean time you could tidy out his room, move the bed, clear out the cupboards etc., thus getting rid of the 'monsters'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

He has a nightlight now and that worked for a short while.
    I am trying the supernanny but that can keep going for well over an hour.
    I bought a dream catcher today which dragons are scared of so hopefully this will work.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Dreamcatcher is a great idea.

Also, maybe you might reinstitute (if it's faded away) the bedtime routine: the same calming CD played, the same soothing warm bath and into jammies, the same sleepy, calm atmosphere.

If he starts talking in an anxious, jumpy way, just be calm about it - not dismissive, just calm: "No dragons here, son." And maybe go in and read him gently to sleep.

You might also tell him that lots of people go through these kinds of scareys at his age (which is true), and it wears off in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My sisters wee one was scared of a monster so before bed she would take him around the room to check the windows were closed, the cupboards/under the bed, etc, were monster free - it seemed to lessen the bad dreams for my nephew...hope you find a solution soon :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

One of ours went through something similar at that age. He became convinced that there were monsters in the house. So we told him we had a notice on the door that said that no monsters were allowed into the house. We showed him the notice - it actually said that the bell was broke and please use the knocker!! But he believed me.

We also used to spray air freshner under the bed and told him it killed the monsters !!

I would stick with the supernanny type of method. It does wear you out but stick with it. It will work as long as your consistant and dont give in!! Easier said than done I know but just keep the result in mind.

Failing all that try zertic or dozol for one night just to give you a break!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I don't have practical experience of this, but I'm wondering if 'checking for monsters' is a great idea, as it somewhat legitimises the idea of the existance of monsters in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If it is real ( and it is very real to most children ) then it can be tackled.
    I tackles the monsters in my house by checking for them threathening them with my hockey stick and then to tell thier mother's on them :)

It worked.

Ocassionally one of mine will have bad dreams and I have tought them that they can control thier dream, one will shoot them with a racket gun and the other uses a want to turn them into frogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Sorry to say, but I'm feeling your pain big time. Our 2 year old just will not go to bed lately. Same story, up to bed at nine and them multiples of bringing her back in til about 10.30 when she eventually goes to sleep.
    last night though was the worst though. Asleep at ten but woke up at 3.15 and off we go again except with hysterical crying.
    Any suggestions would be lovely.
    And a sleep would be nice too!!!

Advertisement