Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with RAM upgrade dilemma? (CL3 vs. CL2/2.5, high vs. low-density, etc.)

Options
  • 29-11-2006 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

Help an old codger out here, lads...

I want to upgrade the RAM in a two-year-old Dimension 4600 (currently 2 x 256MB dual channel) and according to Komplett this is the only suitable 1GB matched pair. I asked about other, cheaper kits, but they said it has to be low-density, not high... (dunno if that's a matter of 'CAS Latency' or 'Module Configuration'... 64 x 64 or otherwise?)

All over eBay I see much better prices for PC3200 DDR-DIMM 184-PIN, unbuffered, Non-ECC 1024MB kits (2 x matched 512MB), but lots of them are CL2 or CL2.5. Even when I've seen CL3, the sellers can't tell me whether the modules are low-density or no.

Basically, what's the difference? Does it really matter? Is there any reason I can't get something like this? Or two of these? :confused:

Thanks for any tips you can give me; I don't fancy forking out €135-odd if I can pick it up for less than half-price on eeb!

Edit: I see all the same blah here on Amazon - mine's a PIV w/800MHz FSB, so I need the PC3200. But what's with the CL=3 & 64Meg x 64 bit. Is it really crucial? Sorry, bad pun...! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

Hi,

"basically" you can get any PC3200 (ddr400) memory sticks.
    CL2/2.5/3 are latency times, generally the lower the better/faster,
    but in most cases there is no differance that u can feel it being faster.

As for the density you could run into some problems, and your dell might not
    like high density ones, good way to see is if it is double sided DS (chips on both side of stick) meaning lower density and higher chance of compatibility (regards 512MB sticks).

You can try using an online memorytool to find the correct type such as
    found on www.shop4memory.com or www.crucial.com.
    Make a note of RAM suggested and look around.

good luck

Advertisement