Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodchip cost ?

Options
  • 29-11-2006 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I know this subject has been discussed before and I'm aware of the current problems with chip supply but I'm wondering how those who have installed a woodchip boiler are getting on cost wise. Have you noticed a sigificant difference in your monthly outlay since you changed from gas/oil. My brotherinlaw who will be installing some for Kedco says the 16w is enough for a normal 3 bed terraced, is it.Are they a better system, apart from cost,in actually heating the house. I'm thinking of jumping on the bandwagon before the grant scheme is reduced or done away with so thanks for any replies.

Comments

Have a look at this blog, http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.com/ it may give you some information.

FWIW I am still planning to install one during the coming summer, just have to build the garage to house it & storage bin.

Hopefully the pellet supply problem has been resolved by then, if not I may have to rethink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Have a look at this blog, http://wood-pellet-ireland.blogspot.com/ it may give you some information.

According to that, Ireland has ample oil to make us non-dependant on others for our oil supply!?!?

Is this true or b/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm well aware that there is a shortage of chips and that the sei grant is silly/wonderfull.Any users out there who can compare what their previous bills were like compared to woodchip, a monthly or six monthly comparision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Most boilers can only run on wood pellet some like baxi can run on wood chip from forstry bark etc which is much cheaper
    1 litre of oil is supposed to be the same as 2.2 kg of pellets so at todays oil prices unless you can get pellets under 270 euro a ton you are better off with oil
    Bag pellets are more expencive than oil
    I havent my wood pellet boiler in long enough to compare monthly usage with oil but the house is very warm and cosy

Advertisement