Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillarious Street Names

Options
  • 29-11-2006 5:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Well I have to say there are some damn funny street/alley/laneways out there and I thought I'd share some I found funny.
    Photographic evidence is always good and I'll share mine when I can find my phone. It's on silent, I can hear it vibrating but I can't find the flucker!!!

Balls Lane - I pass this on the way to work each day.
    Curved Street - Tis in Temple Bar
    Smug Street - My best mate used to have a job in some records place and he came across this winner. Can't remember where it was, but it does exist.

Does anyone else have any they thought were particuarly funny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Misery Hill

coke lane - on sombodys sig, cant think who.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Coke lane is in apexaviours sig - still have to get him to show me where it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

You can see it from the Luas Red Line. Its at the bottom of Smithfield plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Photo Evidence as promised!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The old streetnames were great.
    There was once a Cock Hill and a Cock lane near St. Michael's Hill.
    Cuckold's Row in Newmarket.
    Three Nun Alley in the Coombe.
    Murdering lane and Cut-throat lane were in Mount Brown.
    Cathedral lane off Kevin Street was known as Cabbage Garden.
    An area close to Christ Church was called Hell.
    Hammond lane was originally Hangman lane.
    Bridgefoot Street was previously known as Dirty lane.
    Part of Cornmarket was called Cutpurse row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Little Britain Street
    Hole in the Wall Road
    Protestant Row
    Beaver Close
    Lady's Lane
    Ebenezer Terrace
    Ryder's Row

&#231 wrote: »
    Coke lane is in apexaviours sig - still have to get him to show me where it is :)
    It's near the junction of Queen Street and Arran Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not a street, but I was driving up towards the coast road on Killiney Hill Rd and saw a place called Gayfield and then made a right turn and saw Little Gayfield! Started laughing like a 12 year old to myself.

There's also a South Park and Cypress Hill somewhere, think they are estates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

love lane-just off mount street

springfield in tallaght

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Beaver Row
    Bass Place
    Pig Lane
    Queen Street
    Scarlett Row
    Blackpitts

cormie wrote:
    There's also a South Park and Cypress Hill somewhere, think they are estates!
    South Park is in Cornelscourt near the junction of the N11 and Clonkeen Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I seem to remember a place called misery hill, forget where it was but. Also Cuckoo lane down past parnell street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Great thread, but does anyone know the history behind some of these fantastic names?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Lad Lane, Dublin 2 is good one.

Always find 1st Avenue off Seville Place quite strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mairt wrote:
    Great thread, but does anyone know the history behind some of these fantastic names?.

http://www.eiretek.org/chapters/books/DublinSt/dubindex.htm
    Great site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Healio wrote:
    I seem to remember a place called misery hill, forget where it was but. Also Cuckoo lane down past parnell street.

It's a continuation of Hanover Street East at the Cardiff Lane end... I hope you know where they are!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bluetonic wrote:

Always find 1st Avenue off Seville Place quite strange.

There's a second, third and fourth avenue off Seville Place also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Little Britain Street
    QUOTE]

So named because Parnell St was originally called Great Britian St, you call imagine that was changed quick smart.

There was a guy in charge of naming a lot of the streets in the North Inner City, Henry Moore Earl of Drogheda, he used every part of his name, Drogheda st was what turned into O connell St and there even is an Of lane, cheeky Bast*rd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Ok I know its not Dublin but this was on way through Mojava Desert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

Was driving from New York to Boston during the summer and came across a place called "Daniels Hole"!

mad m wrote:
    Ok I know its not Dublin but this was on way through Mojava Desert...
    Zzyzx Rd - that's incredible. It must be pretty easy to find in an index! Pronunciation? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Zzyzx Rd - that's incredible. It must be pretty easy to find in an index! Pronunciation? :D

Pronunciation now thats a hard one....Zikes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

"Hole in the Wall Road" - just past Donaghmede leaving the Grange Road. I grew up near there and the road literally got its name from an old wall with a big hole in it . As far as I remember it was opposite the Sports Center at the start of the road. I think the wall has since been demolished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

not really an unusual name but more a case of misnaming in the extreme, there's a skanky grey dirty smells of piss laneway in Phibsboro, just beside the black church, which goes by the name of unfiitting address of "Paradise Place"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I go past love lane on my way to college.
    Pity its not as cute as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ballyfermot College is actually located on Sasame Street... I'd have learned more watching an episode of Sesame Street than going to that kip to be honest.

I'm pretty sure I've passed a Lois Lane in Rathmines at some stage...

Oh and there is a housing estate near where I live that was built in 1969, the year of the moon landings, and all the streets are named in celebration of that so you have Aldrin Walk, Tranquility Park, Eagle Way and Armstrong Avenue... No Micheal Collins Street though... poor Micheal Collins... always forgotten when it comes to the moon landing...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

I used to live near Buttocks Booth, Northampton UK. They've changed it to Boothville now, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I go past love lane on my way to college.
    Pity its not as cute as it sounds.

Maybe it is on Saturday nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    There was a guy in charge of naming a lot of the streets in the North Inner City, Henry Moore Earl of Drogheda, he used every part of his name, Drogheda st was what turned into O connell St and there even is an Of lane, cheeky Bast*rd!!

I've heard this before many times.

Henry Street
    North Earl Street
    Moore Street
    Drogheda Street

...Where's 'Of Street'???

Of Lane is now called Henry Place and is one of the warren of lanes that run in the block surrounded by Henry Street, Moore Street and Parnell Street.

It's the one that The Mint is in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Goldfingers

Ratt Row was knocked down to build Tara Street Dart Station.I think the original sign is still on the wall in Ned Scanlans pub.Theres also Lad lane,Cock Hill Road,Beggars Bush,Lady Lane and of course Butt Bridge.

Advertisement