Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillarious Street Names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

Fumbally Lane, near St Patricks is a corruption of Bum Baliffe Lane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Blood Stoney Road, just around the corner from Misery Hill. You gotta love the docklands. I think there's a place called Cromwell's Quarters or something around Kilmainham. I'm not sure if it's a new or old name (either way it's pretty odd).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Middle Third out in Raheny (there might be other Thirds as well, but I'm not sure). Would love to know the reason behind that name!

Misery Hill would have been where the Grand Canal Theatre is now, or thereabouts - it backed onto the old gasometer site.

Blood Stoney Road, just around the corner from Misery Hill. You gotta love the docklands. I think there's a place called Cromwell's Quarters or something around Kilmainham. I'm not sure if it's a new or old name (either way it's pretty odd).

Cromwell's Quarter is a set of steps leading from Mount Brown down to Kilmainhman Lane/Bow Street.

Blood Stoney was a person - can't remember where I saw that, but see it I did, only recently.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Cromwell's Quarter is a set of steps leading from Mount Brown down to Kilmainhman Lane/Bow Street.

Blood Stoney was a person - can't remember where I saw that, but see it I did, only recently.

What a name! Do you know anything about the story behind Cromwell's Quarter? It seems an odd name for anything at all in Ireland, but maybe it wasn't named after that Cromwell?

• Advertisement

What a name! Do you know anything about the story behind Cromwell's Quarter? It seems an odd name for anything at all in Ireland, but maybe it wasn't named after that Cromwell?

Hah! A quick google hasn't answered the question of where Cromwell's Quarter came from - but apparently it used to be called Murdering Lane - even better!

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/a-follow-up-on-cromwells-quarters/

In the comments below there's one explanation of how it and Cutthroat Lane got renamed.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/the-murdring-lane-how-apt/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

At the back of the airport there's Passifyoucan.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Thundercut Alley was off Smithfield until relatively recently. Was a very narrow passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

There's a "prince of wales terrace" in Sandymount which is kind of odd that the name lasted.

"Ballsbridge - Erected in 17xx" sign always makes me smile. :pac:

Also cames across this....(old name.....current name)

Elbow lane .................... now ... Bow Lane
    Cuckold's Row ................. " ... Brabazon Street.
    Dirty Lane ..................... " ... Bridgefoot Street.
    Cutthrroat Lane ............. " ... Brookfield Road.
    Hangmans Lane ............ " ... Hammond Lane.
    Watery Lane ................ " ... Lansdown Road.
    Gallows Road ................. " ... Lower Baggot St.
    The Old Rope Walk ........ " ... Lwr. Gardner St.
    Gibbet Meadow .............. " ... Mespil Road.
    Murdering Lane .............. " ... Old Kilmaimham
    Artichoke Road ................ " ... Shelbourne Road.
    Macgillamocholmog's St. ... " ... St. Michaels Lane.
    Monks Walk....................... " ... St.Stephens green east
    Dog & Duck yard .............. " ... Usher's Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bindon Blood Stoney was an engineer with Dublin Port in the 1700s. He was responsible for much work in the area including building the quay walls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Thundercut Alley was off Smithfield until relatively recently.
    It was rebuilt and is still there, as a modern pedestrian street running just south of Fresh.

Thunder was one of the old Dublin brewing families and they had a brewery around there, which was later absorbed into Jameson's brewery (who did beer as well as whiskey). I've often wondered if Thundercut Alley is connected to Thunder's brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Thundercut Alley was off Smithfield until relatively recently. Was a very narrow passage.

Old pic:

1_07_12_10_8_46_15.jpeg

Hah! A quick google hasn't answered the question of where Cromwell's Quarter came from - but apparently it used to be called Murdering Lane - even better!

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/a-follow-up-on-cromwells-quarters/

In the comments below there's one explanation of how it and Cutthroat Lane got renamed.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/the-murdring-lane-how-apt/

Looks like a great blog. Thanks for that (although I suppose I could've just googled myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

ollaetta wrote: »
    Old pic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=92365&d=1330466835

My personal favourite Dublin street name! Well, actually its joint first with Morning Star Avenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's a lazer lane down in docklands, presumably its a new addition

the tonlegee road is pretty funny too, in either language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Can't think of any good Irish ones but believe it or not there used to be at least one street named 'Gropecunt street' in London. Long since renamed, not too surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Bambi wrote: »
    the tonlegee road is pretty funny too, in either language.

I grew up just off it and I have no idea what it means. Can you shed some light on it ?

KTRIC wrote: »
    I grew up just off it and I have no idea what it means. Can you shed some light on it ?

Arse to the wind allegedly, tóin le gaoith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

LLU wrote: »
    believe it or not there used to be at least one street named 'Gropecunt street' in London. Long since renamed, not too surprisingly.
    Lots of English cities had them. "Grope Lane" or "Grape Lane" are what they tend to have been bowdlerised to.

Wiki article here. London had several, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I live on Love Lane! I've heard many stories of how it got its name, ranging from how there used to be an STI clinic located there, to how there used to be a brothel!! If anyone has the real background story, please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

ajjmk wrote: »
    I live on Love Lane! I've heard many stories of how it got its name, ranging from how there used to be an STI clinic located there, to how there used to be a brothel!! If anyone has the real background story, please let me know!

I always smile when I go past Love Lane on the bus, would be interesdted to hear the background too/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

There's a lazer lane down in docklands, presumably its a new addition

Apparently it's a shortening of Lazerus. Can anyone confirm that?

Hermy wrote:
    At the back of the airport there's Passifyoucan.

My brother looked this up, it seems that was the name of a tavern thereabouts at some stage in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Louis Lane in Rathmines is nearly funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'Celtic Park Avenue' (Dublin 9). I never met any Ran**** supporters there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I always liked Lea Road in Sandymount - someone made a balls of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apparently it's a shortening of Lazerus. Can anyone confirm that?

From W.T. McCready:
    'On this elevated ridge, about the year 1220, an hospital is said to have been founded for pilgrims intending to embark for the shrine of St. James of Compostella, the patron saint of lepers [or lazars, from Lazarus] from which the termination of Townsend street received the name of Lazar's hill.'

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Loving the thread. V. interesting.

But is the length of time between posts 30 and 31 a record!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

shar01 wrote: »
    But is the length of time between posts 30 and 31 a record!?!?!
    Jesus yes a bit of an exhumation alright - 6 years!!

I have posted earlier in the thread but would never have thought that amount of time has passed. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Arse to the wind allegedly, tóin le gaoith

back to the wind.

its a mountain in wicklow

Advertisement