Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving licence

Options
  • 29-11-2006 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

Just a quick question , I recently got a full oZ driving licence with no restrictions. Im wondering when i do finally come home can i trade this in for a full Irish licence easily ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Cheers mate , Its a five year licence so i think i will hold on to it until it nearly expires just in case im ever caught speeding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sarge wrote:
    Cheers mate , Its a five year licence so i think i will hold on to it until it nearly expires just in case im ever caught speeding :)

Unless you also plan to give false details if you are caught it won't matter.

The penalty is put against you personally so when you change over the licence to an Irish one they should be applied.

You would probably have difficulty getting insurance on the Oz licence.

Well done on passing the test BTW and be careful with the speeding over there, they are bastids about that as I found out myself a few years ago.

Thats the funny thing i never actually had to take any test whatsoever. I was in a very remote area and walked in to the motor reg office handed in my provisonal irish licence and chatted and flirted with the girl behind the counter who liked the irish accent and bobs your uncle full oZ licence.

Regarding Insurance why would you find it hard to get it under a oz licence ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Quite surprised at that, given the Australian reputation for rtoad safety and driver's ed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote:
    Quite surprised at that, given the Australian reputation for rtoad safety and driver's ed etc.
    That reputation is new, up toa few years ago, drink driving was considered a national sport.

Victor wrote:
    That reputation is new, up toa few years ago, drink driving was considered a national sport.

On that note , i forgot to mention that when i received my licence there was a restriction on it called a Z condition. Which means you can't have ANY alcoholin your system but with no hesitation the lady took it off for me.

Advertisement