Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a rent a room tenant claim tax relief?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello,

I have a tennant who is renting a room in my home on the r a r scheme, they want to claim tax back on the rent, Does anyone know if they can claim tax back?, considering I dont have to pay tax on the income as it is less than 7620 euro,

Thanks.

XP

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

xpression wrote:
    Hello,

I have a tennant who is renting a room in my home on the r a r scheme, they want to claim tax back on the rent, Does anyone know if they can claim tax back?, considering I dont have to pay tax on the income as it is less than 7620 euro,

Thanks.

XP

You are expected to declare your income under the rent-a-room scheme to the Revenue Commissioners in an annual tax return, despite the fact that there is no tax due on it (note: given that there are tax credits available for all manner of things- it is well worth your while doing an annual tax return, if you are not doing so at present).

Your tenant is entitled to claim a tax credit towards the 'rent' that he/she has paid you- to a maximum of 254 Euro (200 old Irish pounds).

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote:
    given that there are tax credits available for all manner of things- it is well worth your while doing an annual tax return, if you are not doing so at present
    Just for clarity, a londlord under the Rent-a-Room scheme is not allowed write off his expenses (but there is Mortgage Interest Relief).
    Your tenant is entitled to claim a tax credit towards the 'rent' that he/she has paid you- to a maximum of 254 Euro (200 old Irish pounds).
    I think this is now worth 300 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 xpression

Hi and thanks for your info.

Another question has popped into a discussion, If another person moves in to the house and I hold the rent to below the RAR scheme say 70Euro each per week, can both Tennants claim Tax relief ...

Thanks,

XP

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes. If they so wish. The tenants rent relief is not linked to anything the landlord does, as such.

You could have 20 tenants (subject to the laws of common sense) and they could all claim relief, but you would be stuck with the same limit.

Advertisement