Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNC Machine

Options
  • 29-11-2006 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi there,

So, the time has come to present you my CNC machine.
    Look scary at a first look, but this is really easy to build if you take care of what you are doing !
    The machine is fully built using hollow steel bars (God, that's heavy !), and use a belt system for the driving. Precise to 0.01mm in theory !
    Speed ? well, I can cut up to 50mm/s (can do more, but the stepper motors are not following !), but in practice, I cut balsa (any thickness) at 30mm/s and plywood at 10mm/s. You can't go back to the old fashion way after that ! :rolleyes:

cnc4.jpg

For more info : http://gliderireland.modelisme.com/cnc.htm

And if you have any questions, don't hesitate ! :)

Fred

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Have been looking into building one with a friend for a while now, yous make it look so easy and cheap to make one :(
    How much it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi Flunked,

Well.. that's a company secret ! :D:D
    But using only Irish stuff, the complete machine will cost you around 1200 euros...For something serious ! Can cost less if you use low cost materials, but then, you will have what you pay for...:o
    A bigger one is in project already :D For next year !

But basically, this machine can be build in 2 week-ends if you have all the materials and a bit of time !

If you have more questions :)

Fred

build a cheap one that will cut the parts for teh next one, and build em up reusing parts form teh last and so on :Dwww.cnczone.com check it you if you havnt dedi for cnc macinists and builders, If you browse that you will find the 'JGRO Design' which we might try

Hi there,

Well, I've checked this forum...
    Damn ! When you see the price of stuff for this cnc in the UK, you can build 2 "Coquery" Design ! And better. Just my 0.02 cts ! :eek:
    And at thoses prices, why not buy a Step Four ? If you are 2, or if it's for a club, that is worth the investment.

Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Nice machine OP, well done. I'm a cnc programmer for a multinational engineering company, it sure is nice to have €100,000 worth of machine to play with :)

• Advertisement

Thanks M83 ! :)
    Now, I hope that the prices for laser tubes and electronics will go down next year for my new machine... Prices are still very high (around 3000 euros :o:o ) but who knows ! But after that, I'll stop ! :p

Time to cut some kits now :D

Fred

design a good kit, and you could be selling them :)
    Make hope ups for carson models and see if green hobby will sell them, and you will get money. but that only if it can cut think enought aluminium :) [probably needs to be a bit beefyer]

Hi Flunked,
    You mean a kit like the Ka3 ? :p:p:p

With the Kress and the good endmills, I can cut everything I want. The Pb with steel, is that I need a water cooling system. I did not made one, because I haven't plan to cut lot of steel / aluminium. And that's a lot of tubing for that ! :rolleyes:

Fred

Advertisement