Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG the Wii doesn't play DVDs!!!

Options
  • 29-11-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Before you all start. I already know this, and it never bothered me. Only now its has hit me.

Before I left Ireland I shared house with my brother. Only two of us in the house, 3x dvd players (2 had surround sound set up), 3x 28" tvs, an xbox 360a game cube and 3mb broadband. We gave the PS2 and xbox to our younger brother.

Now I'm in a situation where I have moved to Auckland, needed to buy a tv. Since I'm not working yet I went for the cheap option of a 14" (shudder).

My laptop is having an over heating problem. Playing a dvd is too much work for it.

I have no broadband, but there is a net cafe around the corner (it is amazing how many asian guys/girls play WOW and Warcraft)

Now, here is the problem. I love watching movies, have a decent collection at home which is no use to me here. Anyway, I like playing a few games here and there also.

Which leads me to my problem. I want to get a Wii when it comes out. But then it means I need to get a dvd player as well. Now I could get a 360 and solve my gaming and movie problems at once. But I'm still without a Wii.
    I know a few of you will probably say the Wii is cheaper than the 360 and dvd players are dirt cheap. So I should just buy the 2 of them. Well, I'm thinking about it.

But for the first time I can actually see where people were coming from when they were moaning about the lack of dvd playback on the Wii.

At the end of the day it is going to be a complete bitch to play games and watch movies on a ****ty 14" tv. Better get a job so I can buy what I need/want.

Rant over....

byeeeeee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lord Suave

Can not see the problem to be honest.

mountain met molehill.

When you look at the price of a dvd player these days its not exactly an issue is it. Added to which most cheapo drives are also multiregion.

All in all its a good call by nintendo to add one, might be different if it was one of the emerging technologies such blueray.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Lord Suave wrote:
    When you look at the price of a dvd player these days its not exactly an issue is it. Added to which most cheapo drives are also multiregion.
    I know. But for the first time I'm in a place with no dvd player. They are dirt cheap. Came across one (not that way) in The Warehouse for about NZ$80 which is nothing in Euro. Easy to buy one.
    At the end of it all. I can feel the pain of those few people that don't have a device of any kind that can play dvds and want to get a Wii, but then realise they still need a stand alone dvd player.
    The cost of a dvd and a Wii is still probably cheaper than a 360. Most definitly cheaper than a PS3.

Truth be told, I want a 360 as well. But that is just greed :D

Meh....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

lidl are selling a dvd player for €49 tomorrow just to let ya guys know (i know this means nothing to you in NZ)
    but it has a usb port and reads all ur memory cards
    very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There will be a Dvd based Wii released next year, initially Japan only, then we should see it out here at some stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I use my PC to play DVDs via a wireless transmitter from the bedroom to living room. In the place I'm in now its prone to interference and a cheap DVD player (or DVD playing games console with motion sensitive controllers...) would be nice. But at the end of the day I'd say I'm in the minority and fair dues to nintendo for making this console war interesting.

Re the laptop overheating, I've seen similar issues fixed by taking a vacuum cleaner to it just incase the heatsink is fowled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

een one for 32 euro in dunnes :)

STAPLE it to your Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OMG it's a games console not a dvd player.

Cremo wrote:
    OMG it's a games console not a dvd player.
    Like, OMG!!! I totaly know that.

Just making a point that I know where people are coming from. Didn't before, but now I'm at that side of the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

lol sionce when have nintendo ever been ontop of technology? they were still using cartidges upto a few years ago.. way behind the times imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Rabies wrote:
    Like, OMG!!! I totaly know that.

Just making a point that I know where people are coming from. Didn't before, but now I'm at that side of the fence.

Like others have said, a Wii with DVD support is planned and you can get DVD players for nothing.

This isn't really an issue. If you want a Wii to play games, you buy a Wii to play games. If you want a 360 to play games, you buy a 360 to play games and you can also watch DVD's on it etc...

I don't think any reasonable person makes a console choice on what movie formats it supports and I don't think it really bothers that many people. It would have been nice to have but what are you going to do? Well you can either wait for a DVD enabled Wii or buy a cheap stand alone player that probably has better quality than the one the Wii will have anyway.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote:
    I don't think any reasonable person makes a console choice on what movie formats it supports and I don't think it really bothers that many people.

I've you've just destroyed Sony's marketing strategy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Rabies wrote:
    it is amazing how many asian guys/girls play WOW and Warcraft
    WOW is Warcraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

1huge1 wrote:
    lidl are selling a dvd player for €49 tomorrow just to let ya guys know (i know this means nothing to you in NZ)
    but it has a usb port and reads all ur memory cards
    very impressive
    Is that the DivX playing one as well? I bought one the last time they came around. I must say I've had no problems.

Do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's probably not powerful enough to play them th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Import one of the Japanese ones, they have DVD I heard?

Meh to consoles.
    The pop music of gaming systems. :p

This is when someone reminds you that the Beatles were a pop band...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

5uspect wrote:
    This is when someone reminds you that the Beatles were a pop band...

I didn't have an utter clue what you wrote there. I figured it out anyway. Beatles are overrated anyway.

Sorry should have quoted.

Marts wrote:
    WOW is Warcraft
    Sorry, MMORG game and the regular strategy game. Both are heavly played here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

WOW is Warcraft
    World of Warcraft and Warcraft III I think is what he refers to. I've been in internet cafes in Singapore and Korea, so I know what he's talking about. Insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Still, the whole purpose of blu-ray in the PS3 is so when the average consumer is looking to buy hidh definition movies they will choose blu-ray as little Billy has one built into his games machine, so he will ignore HD-DVD, not because ones better than the other but because why buy another HD media player when he/she already has one in the house.
    The implication is that Sonys strategy isn't to sell the blu-ray to consumers initially but to render it the default most easily played HD media requiring the least further investment on the partt if the consumer, people won't be seeking out HD films commonly for another 2 years or so by which time even the most conservative individual would have to say that the PS3 will be the HD capable console with the best market penetration.

Crafty buggers, those guys at Sony, very crafty, canny too.

Advertisement