Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croke Park ticket details

• 29-11-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭

Prices confirmed at €50 for all areas of the ground, with the exception of the Hogan and Cusack lower which are priced at €70. No news about the price of bucket seats on the Hill, other than they are held back for away supporters. The price is about as I expected, though I had hoped they’d offer Canal End (now called Davin Stand) tickets a little cheaper. Whatever about Wales and Germany, I can’t see Slovakia and Cyprus bringing 6,000 fans each, so not sure how they’ll handle the remainder of the Hill tickets

Block bookers (+corporates, clubs and affiliates) are offered tickets first (letters went out this week – these currently account for 32,000 tickets and is expected to rise), then those on the block book waiting list (5,000 according to the Irish Times) will be asked. As I understand it everyone will have to commit for all four home games (March: Wales & Slovakia - October: Germany & Cyprus).

If they sell less than 68,000 tickets from the above, then tickets will go on general sale (must buy tickets for 2 games at a time) early in the New Year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

TBH €50 to watch the cr*p we've been subjected to in recent times is a shambles. Two and a half times what some of the prices are in Lansdowne or for the GAA in Croke Park.

I'd also think they'd be better reserving one of the ends, which I thought would ideally have been The Hill, to try and encourage a particular type of fan to go there.

I mean, they should be trying to encourage the young males to all get in together, stand up and sing for the match. It should be plastered around forums and on the radio. It's a fresh start for the Irish support and we shouldn't throw it away lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm almost glad that I'm boycotting every Croke Park match. Absolute rip-off prices, it again shows the idiocy of the FAI. If they had any interest in the game, and not just money, they would have made the entire Hill 16 area a cheap option - saw €20 a ticket - to encourage the real fans to go there and create an atmosphere. I think this whole Croke Park excercise will fall on it's arse once the initial novelty wears off and I can see some really bad atmospheres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i thought they weren't going to be using the hill. UEFA gave a special dispensation to use temporary seating in Lansdowne on the understanding that the stadium was going to be redeveloped - do we not need to the same permission to use bucket seats in Croker?

I'm almost glad that I'm boycotting every Croke Park match. Absolute rip-off prices, it again shows the idiocy of the FAI. If they had any interest in the game, and not just money, they would have made the entire Hill 16 area a cheap option - saw €20 a ticket - to encourage the real fans to go there and create an atmosphere.
    Why would the tickets being cheaper encourage the "real fans" to go there?

I'd have no problem paying €50 for a competitive game into The Hill if I knew that it would have the atmosphere where I could stand up, shout, sing, curse, down a hip flask, without being looked at in disgust.

€50 for friendlies however will leave the stadium half full. Sure you can buy tickets outside Lansdowne for less than €10 for most friendlies, and there'd still be empty seats.

Because traditionally in football the cheaper tickets attract the working class fans, who are by and large more vocal - look at the likes of the Kop, and even Hill 16 in GAA.

• Advertisement

Because traditionally in football the cheaper tickets attract the working class fans, who are by and large more vocal - look at the likes of the Kop, and even Hill 16 in GAA.
    But logic would suggest that a "real fan" wouldn't have a problem with paying any amount into a ground to support their team.

Historically, it may have been the case that the price dictated where the fans went, and as a result places like The Kop and The Hill had a very working class and vocal support, and as a result you still get those fans there today. But now a days, it is not the price that does it, as evidenced by the amount of fans from those stands making a beeline for The Albert in Liverpool or Meaghars/Quinns in Dublin after every game.

My point is, by charging €20 into The Hill today, you are not going to necessarily attract "vocal fans", I'd be more inclined to say you'd attract either (a) more casual fans who wouldn't pay €50 to see a game, or (b) young/teenage fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

loyatemu wrote:
    i thought they weren't going to be using the hill. UEFA gave a special dispensation to use temporary seating in Lansdowne on the understanding that the stadium was going to be redeveloped - do we not need to the same permission to use bucket seats in Croker?
    Bucket seats are fine and many countries have them. Lansdowne was never built to hold bucket seats though so UEFA didn't think it was safe. the Hill has been built to allow for bucket seats. Maybe someone else will explain it better. The away fans are getting the Hill anyway. I think it's better that way.
    €50 for friendlies however will leave the stadium half full.
    There won't be any friendlies. :)

You could get a season ticket at any EL club for the price of these 4 games.

I disagree, I think there's a lot of 'real' fans who have become disenfranchised with the national team because of big ticket prices, the block selling of tickets and the difficulty in obtaining tickets at Lansdowne in the past. A move like this could win them back and really add to the atmosphere. However it won't make the maximum possible money and as a result, the FAI will ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

while im sure the Fai love their money im pretty certain its the GAA who are being the greedy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well to be honest I remember being at the Brazil match in Lansdowne a while back. This was the one where you had to buy the 3 tickets together. The athmosphere was shocking, in so far as there was none! I remember looking around and the south terrace was full of suits. Now for those of us that remember the south in its prime it was an amazing place to be. Come the next match and that same south terrace was nowhere near full. Reason being that all the suits got the tickets for the Brazil match through connections and had no interest going to the rest hence a lot of real fans lost out.

Now this due to the small size of that old kip happened quite a lot. Ireland matchs for the past 10 years have been about who you know or how long your in the block booking. Real fans have been left in the cold. Gone are the days of quing up outside the fai to buy your ticket, the real fans didn't mind this, the suits wouldn't hear of it. Thats why the athmosphere has been non existant for a long time. I think with Croker a lot of these people will come back and we will have a voice once again. The best athmosphere in the last 10 years I can remember at lansdowne was the Shels Deportivo game. Real eircom league fans and we almost tore the roof off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

evad_lhorg wrote:
    while im sure the Fai love their money im pretty certain its the GAA who are being the greedy here.
    WTF??
    The GAA have no control over what prices the FAI set.

If the FAI wanted they could set the prices much lower and still earn more of a net profit than they earned at Lansdowne. Whether that would make business sense is another thing!

evad_lhorg wrote:

The GAA, greedy? Never! They're the reason I won't step foot inside Croke Park, they won't get a penny of my money, even if it means missing Ireland games.

Has someone forgot their brain?

The GAA are on a fixed fee. €1,250,000 (unless gate receipts exceed about €5m, in which case they get slightly more (26% of receipts).

If you go to a soccer match all your money goes to the FAI. It impacts not one iota on what the GAA get. But fair play to the boycotters. You serve your cause well :D

The FAI will have receipts of approx €5,000,000 from Croke Park (including an estimated €1,000,000 in respect of corporate seats and additional advertising income given the larger signage areas in Croker).

They will pay out €1,250,000 to the GAA in rent.

So a profit of €3.7m

A full house Lansdowne grossed €1.6m in receipts and about €250k was paid in rent. A profit of €1.4m.

If the FAI reduced their ticket prices by 30 quid to €40 and €20, they'd still make a quarter of a million more than they currently do for internationals in Lansdowne.

But of course the tickets prices are all the GAA's fault :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

evad_lhorg wrote:

what input do the GAA have in all this? it is the FAI who are selling the tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eirebhoy wrote:
    You could get a season ticket at any EL club for the price of these 4 games.

Or 2 games if you're a student. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Or 2 games if you're a student. :)

Cost me €120 for my Bray season ticket. I think the prices are a bit ridiculous although saying that, a ticket for the family stand in Elland Road costs €52.50 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Block bookers (+corporates, clubs and affiliates) are offered tickets first (letters went out this week – these currently account for 32,000 tickets and is expected to rise), then those on the block book waiting list (5,000 according to the Irish Times) will be asked. As I understand it everyone will have to commit for all four home games (March: Wales & Slovakia - October: Germany & Cyprus).

If they sell less than 68,000 tickets from the above, then tickets will go on general sale (must buy tickets for 2 games at a time) early in the New Year.

Where'd you hear this? Just checked the FAI site and got this

It has been confirmed that Republic of Ireland senior competitive international fixtures will be held in Croke Park in 2007. At the present time there are no finalised details on match tickets for this venue. Please check back here for further details. (Note: Those with block bookings will be notified by the ticket office).

Especially interested in the bit about those on the block booking waiting list as I am currently on this and wasn't expecting to be a guaranteed a ticket. Great news if this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The GAA, greedy? Never! They're the reason I won't step foot inside Croke Park, they won't get a penny of my money, even if it means missing Ireland games.

Thats a ridiculous statement :rolleyes: Damm FAI looking for their pound of flesh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep I can confirm what the Rooster stated, I got my letter today to apply for tickets, I'm secretary of a Club.

Tbh I don't have a problem paying €50 or €70 to see my national side play in one of the best stadiums in the world. It costs me more to see a PL team play and I have to fly or get a boat.

I'll be requesting tickets and I'll be happy to support my national side, god knows we need all the support we can get at the moment.

stepbar wrote:
    Thats a ridiculous statement :rolleyes: Damm FAI looking for their pound of flesh :(

Why? I don't claim that the current high ticket prices are the GAA's fault, but I still refuse to enter their stadium. A proportion of the ticket price will go to them to pay for use of Croke Park and because of that I won't be going.

The GAA are greedy, narrowminded and insular organastion that, by their own admission, are trying to kill soccer in Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The GAA are greedy, narrowminded and insular organastion that, by their own admission, are trying to kill soccer in Tallaght.

Really? In what way are they greedy? Just cos they may be clever enough to make a killing from a terrible organisation! The GAA dont need the money they will be getting in, sure Croker already paying for itself. If it wasnt for the GAA having such a godd stadium that the FAI(and IRFU), people would be travelling to Wales for our "home" matches. Sure I heard the FAI tried to use Croker for training in December...are they the only people who realise its only in use from 2007 till 2009? Although I do fully expect Croker to be used for other sports also after this period! GAA have a good business sense, they'll be the ones to go far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if the fai was run half as well as the GAA, irish football would be in a much better situation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Call_me_al wrote:
    if the fai was run half as well as the GAA, irish football would be in a much better situation...

If Irish football was half as well supported as GAA, it would be in a much better situation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If Irish football was half as well supported as GAA, it would be in a much better situation too.
    Season Ticket for celtic park is cheaper than 4 games at croker!!

Lads come on this money is going back into the games here, i.e. €1.25 million to the GAA and €3.75 million to the FAI.

How much money do soccer fans spend here every week to go see PL teams play?? Its not cheap but it is going towards the development of games here in our state.

Why? Well I'll tell you why....... You cant blame the GAA for the ineptness of the FAI's for a start. Eircom Park could have been the answer to the FAI's problems but as per usual the FAI pandered to the Government instead of growing some balls and going ahead with the project. At least the GAA had the foresight to decide their own future. So lets get that straight for a start. The GAA are well within their rights to charge rent, GAA members in part paid for the construction of Croke Park through the sale of premium seats, fundraising etc. The Millenium Stadium and similar stadiums through out England would attract a compariable rent. A proportion of your ticket at present goes towards the IRFU (abeit a slightly smaller persentage) so I dont what your problem is. I suppose you would rather see Irish fans stand on the "Kop" all in the name of Irish Soccer :rolleyes: Takes the piss out of "Buy Irish" dont you think? Is it no wonder the likes of Shamrock Rovers cant even sustain themselves.

So well done FAI for negotiating a rent of 1.25m because hopefully they'll use the bumper profits (:rolleyes:) to get their own house in order

MrJoeSoap wrote:

And whose fault is that? <Opens can of Worms>.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I remember reading that the GAA forbade the FAI to release cut price tickets to fill the ground against the smaller teams, especially kids tickets as they don't want to make football more popular! It makes sense from their point of view.

Of course the FAI can now charge huge prices and blame the GAA!

I remember reading that the GAA forbade the FAI to release cut price tickets to fill the ground against the smaller teams, especially kids tickets as they don't want to make football more popular! It makes sense from their point of view.

In light of recent performances it might be a bit scary for the kids...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Mushy wrote:
    Really? In what way are they greedy? Just cos they may be clever enough to make a killing from a terrible organisation! The GAA dont need the money they will be getting in, sure Croker already paying for itself. If it wasnt for the GAA having such a godd stadium that the FAI(and IRFU), people would be travelling to Wales for our "home" matches. Sure I heard the FAI tried to use Croker for training in December...are they the only people who realise its only in use from 2007 till 2009? Although I do fully expect Croker to be used for other sports also after this period! GAA have a good business sense, they'll be the ones to go far

Maybe if our goverment wasnt throwing most of the money at the GAA the FAI would of had a better stadium years ago.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:

Your not honestly saying more people support GAA over football :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Maybe if our goverment wasnt throwing most of the money at the GAA the FAI would of had a better stadium years ago.

The FAI are entitled to as much Gov. support as the GAA or any other sporting body, so what's your point.
    If the FAI had a bit of cop on and made the most of the good times in the '90s they would have a proper stadium.

Why does every Croke Park dicussion turn into a GAA bashing session ?, juealousy I suppose.

The FAI will get €3m + from every game next year in Croke Park, I'll just sit back and watch them blow it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think the prices are a bit steep, but not way over the top. I had sideline tickets for the Irish match in Landsdowne recently v San Marino and I think they were 40 euro or something. I dont remember exactly. The tickets for the Dutch match were cheaper I believe, in the East Stand.

> Ireland matchs for the past 10 years have been about who you know or how long your in the block booking.

I agree with this to some extent. Matches weren't open to 100% of the public each time, but the FAI had their reasons for this in attempting to garner more income. And you could get tickts from 'sellers' outside the ground for most matches, distributing 'unwanted' tickets. I think the increased capacity will give most nearly anyone who wants to go to a game a chance to go, so that has to be a good thing, whereas in Landsdowne (with seats) it was 30-odd thousand capacity.

Overall, I think the FAI and the GAA could have set prices like 40 and 50, rather than 50 and 70. But its a fine line really.

However, one point should be understood by all, and that is that the prices have been agreed by BOTH organisations, so for anyone throwing complaints around you need to look at both. The GAA may be getting a fixed fee per match (maybe they didnt trust the FAI?!?) but I can guarantee you that they had a veto on the retail price that has been set.

Given that it is a larger stadium, and the games v Slovakia and Cyprus may not be filled, I dont blame the FAI for mandating a 4-match or when/if it comes about the 2-match booking regime. They have done that before and fans have bought them up.

I'm all for cheaper tickets though. On this occasion, I think they have priced the tickets 'just a tad' high, but for people that want to go to Croker to see the team, this is a national occasion and some history in the making, for Ireland and the GAA itself, then this higher price wont be a factor for many people.

Question 1: if Ireland plays any home friendlies in 2007, where will they be played?

Question 2: what happens in 2008, 2009, etc? The new Landsdowne wont be finished for a good while!

Redspider

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Average attendance figures would suggest so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

More people play football than GAA but GAA is certainly the bigger spectator sport in this country.

So well done FAI for negotiating a rent of 1.25m because hopefully they'll use the bumper profits to get their own house in order

They never even had their "own house"!
    Question 2: what happens in 2008, 2009, etc? The new Landsdowne wont be finished for a good while!

Croker is being used till Landsdowne is done, so it includes 2008 and start of 2009 AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Mushy wrote:
    They never even had their "own house"!
    Yes they did, it's crumbling away behind a shopping centre in Phibsborough.

Yes they did, it's crumbling away behind a shopping centre in Phibsborough.

I was quoting on another comment somewhere up the page, as you can see. So I was referring to modern times specifically. Didnt know they were in Phibsboro before that though.

Actually about the tickets, Im glad I dont really go to the matches, they are very steep prices to be paying for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

any links to that comment re the tickets?.

Blackjack wrote:
    any links to that comment re the tickets?.
    Of course there's no link coz its pure balls.

The FAI could charge one euro a ticket if they wanted. It wouldnt matter to the GAA, because they are guaranteed €1.25m.

The price of tickets is almost irrelevant to the GAA - unless the renter charges huge prices (e.g the IRFU charging €80 a ticket) in which case the GAA get a bonus amount.

Out of interest, who will get all the catering money that will be had on match days? The GAA or FAI? And will the bars in Croker be open?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Football is the fourth sport in this country behind Gaelic Football, Hurling and then Rugby.

More people play GAA than play Football. Many counties outside Dublin have very few Football teams but there are huge numbers playing GAA in every county in Ireland.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Football is the fourth sport in this country behind Gaelic Football, Hurling and then Rugby.

More people play GAA than play Football. Many counties outside Dublin have very few Football teams but there are huge numbers playing GAA in every county in Ireland.

Are you sure about? got any data to support it? I remember seen stats a year or two ago which showed more people are playing soccer. I mean take my County Carlow for example there is many many more soccer teams than football teams in the county.

irish1 wrote:
    Are you sure about? got any data to support it? I remember seen stats a year or two ago which showed more people are playing soccer. I mean take my County Carlow for example there is many many more soccer teams than football teams in the county.

Yep I am. I work in the Department of Sport and have seen the figures. Outside Dublin, GAA is played more than any other sport.

Supporter wise, Football is a clear fourth.

Cool any chance of posting up the figures?

Also just one figure I know for Carlow, the Carlow Junior Soccer League play over 900 fixtures every year and thats not including Juvenile fixtures!!! Thats a hell of a lot more than the GAA play!

irish1 wrote:
    Cool any chance of posting up the figures?

Also just one figure I know for Carlow, the Carlow Junior Soccer League play over 900 fixtures every year and thats not including Juvenile fixtures!!! Thats a hell of a lot more than the GAA play!

Dont know exact figures off the top of my head. Ill try have a sneaky look tomorrow :D

Mushy wrote:
    I was quoting on another comment somewhere up the page, as you can see. So I was referring to modern times specifically. Didnt know they were in Phibsboro before that though.

Were you Mushy? I dont think you know what you were referring to really....... The term "own house in order" is a fairly general term TBH :rolleyes: Heard of the Genesis report? I think you should get what im on about by now........

Stepbar, I think I realise now what was meant! By now Im guessing Merrion Square...and if not, then nope, i dont understand. What I meant by that term was the stadium, and not the offices part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

The bars on the the premium level will be open but the new bars on the normal level will all be closed. They are not allowed to be open under UEFA law.

Catering and drinks are run by Fitzers so assume they will make the profit from them (They pay for the right to sell in croker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Out of interest, Has anyone on the block booking scheme waiting list recieved any details regarding croker tickets or inclusion on the block booking scheme proper, or is it just rumoured that the FAI have sent out mail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement