Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FUH2.com

Options
  • 29-11-2006 11:47am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised at the huge anti 4x4 sentiment on the net. Some of them are really childish including this site, http://www.fuh2.com/

With more and more wealth knocking around Ireland and as more hummers and other urban 4x4's are bought, will this kind of reaction ever occur over here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah, I think we should all buy 4x4's, for that tricky offroading thats getting so popular these days. Of course, when we all have 4x4's, those of us with smaller 4x4's will need to upgrade to larger ones, so we can see over people again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

And they should also try to ban any car that has an engine over 1.3 :rolleyes:
    No-one really need a bigger engine than that..... Ban anything that can go faster that the speed limit. Ban anything that has low MPG etc etc....

If people want to drive 4x4's/SUV then let them. You pay more for using them with poor mpg and high tax.

Still, I won't be selling mine in a hurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Was in the UK at the weekend and noticed three things:

1. the complete lack of SUVs except for the few Range Rovers; but many, many more new(er) cars than here.
    2. everyone (nearly 8 out of every 10 cars) has a satnav on the dash
    3. in 6 hours of driving from London to Holyhead (5pm to 11pm), only saw one car with its foglights on

I guess SUVs are simply more fashionable here. Didn't see any "commercial" version SUVs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If people want to drive 4x4's/SUV then let them. You pay more for using them with poor mpg and high tax.
    That's no help either to other road users who can't see past them in traffic or to the people who get hit by them. People who drive SUVs when they don't actually need them are a.) sociopathic and b.) stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

franksm wrote:
    Was in the UK at the weekend and noticed three things:

1. the complete lack of SUVs except for the few Range Rovers; but many, many more new(er) cars than here.
    2. everyone (nearly 8 out of every 10 cars) has a satnav on the dash
    3. in 6 hours of driving from London to Holyhead (5pm to 11pm), only saw one car with its foglights on

I guess SUVs are simply more fashionable here. Didn't see any "commercial" version SUVs at all.

I actually think there are newer cars over here. There is a much more vibrant second-hand car market in the UK.
    Also, there are big tax benefits for commerical SUVs in Ireland, that's one reason why they are so popular. The same loophole doesn't exist in the UK.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    That's no help either to other road users who can't see past them in traffic or to the people who get hit by them. People who drive SUVs when they don't actually need them are a.) sociopathic and b.) stupid.

Like your opinion make a difference...

Like your opinion make a difference...
    QED.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

dubstub wrote:
    Also, there are big tax benefits for commerical SUVs in Ireland, that's one reason why they are so popular. The same loophole doesn't exist in the UK.

Care to elaborate on the tax benefits, or have you any links? I'm looking at a commercial Landy 90 for pulling kayaks and crossing rivers.

wet-paint wrote:
    Care to elaborate on the tax benefits, or have you any links? I'm looking at a commercial Landy 90 for pulling kayaks and crossing rivers.
    Commercials are not liable for VRT, whereas passenger vehicles are.

Commercials also benefit from a flat rate for road tax. €253 per year for commercials instead of cc based for private (passenger) SUV's.

My 4x4 is commercial, meaning there is no back seats. Just the driver and fronts passenger seats. It makes for a great cargo area behind. Very handy for me for wetsuits and waterski's etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

wet-paint wrote:

As well as not being liable for VRT, annual road tax is only €252, instead of close to a grand for the engine size in most jeeps.
    Also, if you have your own company you can buy the jeep with the companies money (i.e. pre-tax profits) and not pay any benefit-in-kind.
    It works out as a huge saving and if you do it properly you can drive around in a brand-new, top of the range jeep and it won't cost you anything. You even get tax allowances for depreciation every month.
    This is the main reason there are so many commercial jeeps around the country.

Advertisement