Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What provider next.

Options
  • 29-11-2006 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Are Bt any good? How are their contention rates. I just came off a contract with smart who, despite all the bad press , never gave me any problems but I've moved house and can't get service with them anymore. I was thinking of going with magnet but they're quite expensive. I need to get TV phone and BB so I thought they're Ent. package looked good but it's €59 + €24 line rental per month. Any one got any suggestions? if possible I'd like to keep the bill under or around €60 p/m.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Digiweb = €20 for 1mb internet and free home phone
    then get your TV with Sky= basic package €26 per month (or Chorus price?)
    Total = €46 per month and you can send me the change from the €60 that you budgeted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cormob

legend, will check that out. are digiweb wireless? is their service good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

AFAIK Digiweb offer phone DSL, wireless and satelite - all dependent on whats available in your area. Don't know how good they are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

neacy69 wrote:
    then get your TV with Sky= basic package €26 per month
    Go one better and get a Freeview satellite system for about 50 up front and no subscription.

As for BB/phone options - depends on your exact area; if Smart's 7K coverage can't reach you, there may be other providers that you need to rule out (i.e. if the exchange is enabled but you're too far from it).

I'd be surprised if there were exchanges in Dublin that Smart weren't in.....if that's the case, you've no other DSL options other than Magnet, and then you're down to wireless or cable (UPC - i.e. Chorus/NTL).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A bit more realistically for a FTA sat system. But the right idea. 45 decent channels & 30 .. 70 radio depending on taste. All 4 ITV, 8 BBC, Film4 etc.. Better quality picture than cable too. RTE/TV3/TG4 via aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I'd be surprised if there were exchanges in Dublin that Smart weren't in.....
    Newlands Cross is one, there must be others.
    if that's the case, you've no other DSL options other than Magnet
    Not so, there's Eircom (hisss!) or any of the Eircom bitstream resellers, i.e. Digiweb DSL, BT, etc. etc. etc.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninja900 wrote:
    Not so, there's Eircom (hisss!) or any of the Eircom bitstream resellers, i.e. Digiweb DSL, BT, etc. etc. etc.

My response as quoted was based on the original request:
    I'd like to keep the bill under or around €60 p/m

Eircom ain't an option if you're trying to get phone and broadband and have money left over for TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I'd be surprised if there were exchanges in Dublin that Smart weren't in.
    There are lots of Dublin Exchanges that Smart aren't in. If you go to the Smart home page, it gives an example phone number - "e.g 01298889". That's only a 6 digit number, so tack a 1 on the end and test e.g 012988891 and you get the response:
    Your phone number 12988891 is serviced by the DUNDRUM exchange.
    This exchange is not on the Smart Broadband Network Build Programme.
    Dundrum is a reasonably big exchange, and was one of the exchanges that eircom enabled for it's DSL trials, before it released 512K DSL at over a hundred a month (only 4 years ago!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Liam Byrne wrote:
    My response as quoted was based on the original request
    oops yeah forgot that bit.
    I'd like to get BB for €15 a month with huge caps, etc. etc. but when it comes to telecoms in this country there's usually a big difference what we'd like and what we can get :(
    Eircom ain't an option if you're trying to get phone and broadband and have money left over for TV!
    Perhaps not, but free to air satellite is a good option and getting better all the time, and Eircom, while not at all cheap do have a reputation for providing a solid service in general (as do others like Digiweb.) You're better off paying €30 for a service that works and where the support lines are actually answered, than €20 for one that doesn't work and you can't get them to answer their phone, never mind fix.

Of course, if we had a decent regulator...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

neacy69 wrote:
    Digiweb = €20 for 1mb internet and free home phone

Better clarify that one. The phone (while there is no line rental) is not free. There are free Metro-Metro calls, but all other calls are charged at the appropriate rate. It's not like Blueface (www.blueface.ie) where, for a fixed monthly fee, you get unlimited local and national calls to landlines in Ireland/UK 24/7.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course blueface can't offer the managed QOS of Metro voice. But then again you can use Blueface (or gizmo, or Skype) also and avail of other rates, as well.

With not using eircom for dialup and having most of family also on Metro and people using mobiles our Digiweb phone charges are a few euro a month compared with 70 Euro a month or more before we had a CPS and broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Freddie59 wrote:
    Better clarify that one. The phone (while there is no line rental) is not free. There are free Metro-Metro calls, but all other calls are charged at the appropriate rate. It's not like Blueface (www.blueface.ie) where, for a fixed monthly fee, you get unlimited local and national calls to landlines in Ireland/UK 24/7.:D

the home phone is provided free of charge -> Free Home Phone....
    im sure the op realises there will be a charge for calls he would be making?

Advertisement