Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"of" does not equal "have"

• 29-11-2006 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is better in AH or Spell Czechs or other wise. Please move as appropriate.

I am sure someone has mentioned this before but why do people substitute the word "have" with the word "of" when posting on message boards?

Kippy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I shouldn't of even bothered opening this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What a weird and wild accusation! Pighead doesn't for one minute believe this could be happening though. Something as serious as this would surely have been brought to our attention by now.

Links, examples and a 100 word essay on your feelings regarding the issue are hereby DEMANDED!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think I of ever seen posts that of got those two words mixed up. Have course, I could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I used to do that in school. I'd write should of instead of should have. Probably because that's how it sounds. Then my english teacher pointed it out to me and I stopped. Yeah there's really no story there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I seen this kind of thread before, tbh.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote:
    I seen this kind of thread before, tbh.

Dont you mean kind have thread before? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kippy wrote:
    Not sure if this is better in AH or Spell Czechs or other wise. Please move as appropriate.

...substitute the word "have" with the word "of"...

Noooooooo! We don't want it. We have standards!

Put it in 'Personal issues', for Gawd's sake. It'll keep them amused for hours (trying to work out what's up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I do be mad when I do see dese tings! In anyways, irregardless have this post this thread should of been taken off of After Hours and put in the Recycle Bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

On a related note; I hate it when people say "again" instead of "as well". They even drop the freaking a! Everytime a dumbass says something like "Oh, can I have a cup of coffee ag'in?" I fell like yelling "You haven't had a ****ing coffee yet! It's 'as well' you ****ing moron!"

Calm blue ocean. Calm blue ocean. Calm blue ocean............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah and whats with the nordies saying "whenever" instead of "when"??!?! "Whenever I was a wee baby" "whenever I did my driving test" - Someone should sort that out!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement