Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Supplier on a Self-Build

Options
  • 29-11-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if a couple of the self builders on here can help me out! I'm just starting a new house by direct labour and was wondering what is the norm regarding paying suppliers. Will most suppliers give 30 days credit and what is needed when setting up an account with them. I understand that all companies may have different criteria, but whas wondering what people found was the norm!

Salmon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Hi Salmon

I openend an account with a local Builders Providers (wexford area), all was done over the phone/fax as I am based in Dublin. Found them to be very helpful and got at least 30 days, somestimes nearer 40.

Cos I am based in Dublin, I only ever met most of the trade people long after they had started , some even only at the finish. Now I wasn't that naieve, they all came highly reccommended by more than one source. funny though when meeting them , as I would have an image from how they sounded, nobody looked like i imagined at all. Still avn't met the Builder Provider yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Were you building by Direct labour secman? If so, how did you get away without meeting the tradesmen? I'd love it if I could organise it all over the phone, but I'd say its going to be much more hassle than that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 silverb

facing similar problem at the moment. we are commencing a self build via direct labour in donegal. Went round a few of the local builders merchants to open accounts. they wanted credit references. the only one i would have is with home heating oil supplier, so one of the builders merchants is looking a cheque for 5 grand to open an account. waiting for the other one to come back now but i think we'll end up paying cash for a while to establish the relationship - i aint giving them 5 grand at least if i have it its earning money in the bank (just about)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No issues with setting up accounts here, I managed to get Heiton buckleys to provide an account with no references needed, then when the rest of them asked for trade references, I used Heiton buckleys as my reference!!

When they saw the competition they had no issues in giving me an account!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Salmon,

sorry for delay in getting back, the build is in wexford.
    We are at first fixing stage, with plumbing and electrics. My brothers are in the building game, so I always got them to get quotes from their Dublin suppliers and every time the materials and labour were cheaper in wexford, even thogh nobody knew me from Adam.

I never paid anyone up front, nor was i asked to, I always owed out, great leverage but never had to use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement