Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB - Netopia Modem: Realtek network card - Wireless not working

Options
  • 29-11-2006 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

All,

I have been trying to setup Eircom braodband at home. Using Ethernet there was no problem with the connection, everything works fine. However when trying to use wireless, my laptop does not find the Netopia 2247NWG.

I have tried to connect with WEP enabled and disabled. But no luck.

Has anyone any ideas, I would really appreciate your help with this.

Cheers,
    Higgs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Is the wireless on the laptop turned on?
    Is the wireless on the Netopia turned on? The wireless light on the front should be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Sorry Kaizersoze!

Yet, I checked the router config and wireless is enabled, everything looks good. I went to the laptop and scanned for available networks but it states that no networks have been found. Pain in the *ss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

whats in the SSID field in the wireless config, if its blank insert the word "Carrot" and save, reboot the router and rescan

I hope you are taking the p*ss with the carrot comment :-)

SSID is exactly as it is defined on the router. I have tried to set it up using WEP and with WEP disabled, still no difference. Could it be something to do with the channel that the router is broadcasting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Higgsy wrote:
    SSID is exactly as it is defined on the router.

So you're saying that there is an SSID showing on the laptop?

Probably nothing to do with channel it's broadcasting on... it broadcasts on channel 7 by default, if you go into your Wireless cards setup, you should be able to see the range of channels... I'd be surprised if it can't pick up 7

• Advertisement

I think so. I have attached some screen shots of the wireless card configuration. Hope this provides more information.

Folks.....

Had another go and reinstalling the eircom setup last night, but no luck.

Does anyone have any other ideas/guesses?

Must be something simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I had the exact same problem...
    All I did was change the default channel for the wireless: (wireless>advanced configuration.)
    It was set to 7or 8 so I changed the channel to 2 and my laptop never had a problem finding it again

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Higgsy wrote:
    Folks.....

Had another go and reinstalling the eircom setup last night, but no luck.

Does anyone have any other ideas/guesses?

Must be something simple

Just bought one today, plan to use it as an access point (thanks again Spongebob). Have tested wireless, can surf through the Netopia no problems. I just turned off privacy, DHCP, NAT, set the RF channel to 11 (802.11b only), set the router IP withing local LAN IP range & it worked right away.

What do you see in the Netopia stats page (expert mode ->statistics -> wireless?

Can you try using something like netstumbler on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Have you double checked the setup procedure?

2247NWG Wireless Setup

May be worth another look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Remove the network from Preferred Networks.

Change the channel the netopia is broadcasting on and re-scan.

Advertisement