Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught Speeding - Can I appeal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

APM wrote:
    it seems like every day a new post is popping up about someone and their speeding story.

Maybe there's enough scope for a
    Motors > Speeding forum ?

Anyone else agree?
    Maybe there should be a sticky where people can whine about being caught speeding but think they shouldn't get the fine + points?

Same applies to the "I got caught driving in the Bus Lane" brigade.

Folks, if you're caught, suck it up, pay the fine, take the points and be more careful in future. As was previously mentioned, two points don't affect your insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

CK.1 wrote:
    Yeah, but they have quotas to reach (or so I'm led to believe). They get a bollocking if they are not taking in enough in fines each month.

Who decides then?

They can if it is an unfair law, or if a law designed to improve road safety is being used to raise cash instead of what it was intended for.

They DONT have quotas to meet,

The government and the comissioner decides. Normal gardai dont get much say in the matter,

And if its an unfair law, bitching that youve been caught coz you decide to break it isnt the way to deal with it. petition to get it changed.

You dont get checkpoints on narrowdark country roads BECAUSE THEY ARE narrow dark country roads. imagine soom loon flying around the bend gets pulled over, fine on its own but imagine then while the gardai are talking to the driver, loon number 2 comes flying round same bend and clean himself and the garda AND the driver who was stopped first clean off the road. whos at fault then? my geuss is people will blame the gardai for having a checkpoint in an unsafe place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

They DONT have quotas to meet,
    How do you know? It was widely reported in the media that they do
    The government and the comissioner decides. Normal gardai dont get much say in the matter,
    It is the wrong decision whoever is making it.

EDIT: I know a Guard and he told me that they would often decide themselves where to set up.
    And if its an unfair law, bitching that youve been caught coz you decide to break it isnt the way to deal with it. petition to get it changed.

You dont get checkpoints on narrowdark country roads BECAUSE THEY ARE narrow dark country roads. imagine soom loon flying around the bend gets pulled over, fine on its own but imagine then while the gardai are talking to the driver, loon number 2 comes flying round same bend and clean himself and the garda AND the driver who was stopped first clean off the road. whos at fault then? my geuss is people will blame the gardai for having a checkpoint in an unsafe place.
    They don't need a checkpoint on a narrow dark country road. All they need is a Gatso camera that photographs cars breaking the speed limit. No need to stop anybody at all. They should be concentrating their speed checks on known accident black spots instead of relatively safe motorways and dual carriageways.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They DONT have quotas to meet
    CK.1 wrote:
    How do you know? It was widely reported in the media that they do
    It was also brought up at the AGSI conference last year when a speaker mentioned league tables and how underperforming stations risked losing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Besides, the Gardai SHOULD be required to provide evidence - and his/her "word" isn't good enough in my book given the never ending reports of corruption and incompetence in the force. If Sky One can make entire shows out of chase footage in the UK, then there's no reason Garda squad cars can't be similarly outfitted and the tapes presented in court as evidence.
    We know the Gardai are no angels, but that is a relatively isolated incident. In any case, we're talking about a regular speed check and in this case the guy is admitting he was in the wrong.

The UK is very different to Ireland. Much denser population, 15 times our population and appears to have alot more anti-social issues than us. We would probably do well to knock a couple of Sky Ones shows out of it.

kbannon wrote:
    Recently we heard of a local authority who had upped a speed limit but didn't bother their ass telling anyone. Drivers caught between the posted limit and the actual limit had their fines returned and points wiped.
    Had nobody said anything this probably would have not happened.
    Again, such an isolated incident it doesn't really argue so well.
    kbannon wrote:
    Secondly, it is the right of everyone to challenge any accusation laid against them. If a poster requires advice on this then who are we to stop them.
    Lastly, it is the right of anyone to challenge the legality of our laws. Are you happy with all of our laws? Speeding laws by their design imply that a driver is guilty until they prove their innocence, something that I am not happy with.
    All good and well when one thinks they may have been wrongly accused. The OP hadn't a clue what speed he was doing but knew well he was over the limit (30km/r over, in fact). That sort of attitude stinks, if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have never done anything wrong in my life ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to add to this, and add further weight to the point that it's about revenue not safety, I was told this morning that the Gardai were camped out on the M50 early this morning (between about 8 and 9am) just past the Blanch exit.

No doubt now some people here will attempt to defend this, and convince us that they really AREN'T just trying to rack up the statistics/money. :rolleyes:

But bear in mind that it's only the 3rd of December and it's been regularly reported here that the cops are sent out in the few days either side of the month to meet the targets.

Advertisement