Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Irish is boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Gordon wrote:
    Woah! I was merely being facetious!

Fa what now?
    Either way, you're both wrong.
    The correct term is bigot not racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I guess it depends on what your criteria are for classing someone as "irish"

Like many on boards, im from Ireland and living abroad. I lived in Finglas for 23 years and Clondalkin for 2, thats pretty irish IMO! Ive been living in the US for two months now

In terms of "having current information" its easier to stay up to date now than ever thanks to the advancements of communication, boards.ie being one of them, then you have texting, cheap VOIP calls with local gegraphical numbers, rss feeds and all kinds of wonderful things. The world is smaller than ever. In any case, I still run a small company in in Ireland so I need to keep up to date with things.

Im not quite sure of the purpose of this thread though, perhaps the OP can enlighten me?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Check out facetious on dictionary.com Bru.

New words have been added since the Jurassic edition ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

*Adopted Irish = People who have lived here long enough to know what it is to be Irish, without actually being Irish. Think Des Bishop

Des Bishop could live here for 100 years and he wouldn't know what it is to be Irish. I saw him at a comedy gig in England and he did nothing but slag off OUR country. I stood in a 1000 strong crowd and never felt so alienated in my life. If he was truly Irish, he would understand why that was a bad thing to do.

You can live here long enough to merit being able to offer a valuable contribution to the threads but knowing what it is to be Irish is a very different thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I think they should at least run background checks on non-nationals signing up to boards.
    We have enough trolls of our own without importing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Well it certainly looks like I raised a few hackles here.
    Even got the thread moved to Feedback by person or persons unknown.

As usual a number of people strayed off topic and launched into insults simply because they can. It also gets their post count up, which to some appears to be the main purpose of visiting boards. Ooh look at me, I've 20 million posts and 100 stars and a big fat signature picture. Some people even have dictionaries.

Trilla - If this is pointless why bother posting in it. Oh forgot, one more post!

Hill Billy thanks for the link. Your name seems to suit you.

Diogenes - I know that aldi.ie is an Irish store, but I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Anyway, I was not making any racist comments. Read the original post before shooting your mouths off, or borrow the dictionary and look it up.
    I was merely remarking on the fact that many of the posters/moderators (anyone know how many?) are not resident in Ireland, and consequently could be accused of not being sufficiently in touch with the facts in all cases.
    Maybe in such situations they do actually step back and don't offer opinions on things they know little about.

As I said I'm relatively new here, and it was just something I noticed.
    I didn't expect anything like the ****storm that seems to have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

seems to me that a lot of the posts here are off topic and have strayed from discussing the original thread:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Mods do not have to be Irish, they just have to be there, ready, to strike down the ever-present muppet. They don't have to take part in discussion.
    In the mean-time....

anc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pansy Potter how many mods do you think there are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Even got the thread moved to Feedback by person or persons unknown.
    Because thats where discussions regarding boards.ie go.
    As usual a number of people strayed off topic and launched into insults simply because they can.
    Oh, the irony.
    consequently could be accused of not being sufficiently in touch with the facts in all cases.
    Well, (leaving aside the obvious question on how many of the facts on any matter anyone will ever know at any point of a debate), how so? If its national news, then surely there will be reports about it on the internet. There are many Irish news sites, many Irish blogs commenting on Irish affairs, etc.

If its a regional debate, then would a person from outside the region be exempt from commenting for the same reasons, they don't know the facts, don't understand the region?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

quiet you doodle sketch...wtf would you know about anything outside killarney!?

Thaedydal wrote:
    And disappointingly, she appears not to have read my post.

Thaedydal wrote:

Is that a trick question?

How would I possibly know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

RuggieBear wrote:
    quiet you doodle sketch...wtf would you know about anything outside killarney!?
    Hey, thats not fair. I go to Tralee too... :(

No it is not a trick question.

The information there is there if you bothered to look for it and find out.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showgroups.php

Thaedydal wrote:

In fairness Thaed, that only shows Cat Mods, Subscribers and SMods.

Though the mods are listed on the wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

...could be accused of not being sufficiently in touch with the facts in all cases.
    Maybe in such situations they do actually step back and don't offer opinions on things they know little about.

Well, I assume your point about mods not being in touch applies to regular users like myself yet you don't seem to have taken on board any of my points in my previous post.

Do you think that leaving Ireland means that you forget about it and stay out of touch?

I have been able to inform my parents about things going on in our local community at home that they didn't know about and yet I live in England!!!11eleventy-one. ;) This was achieved by my reading online websites and local newspapers :) I also told my friend about the plans for a new shopping centre in her village and she didn't know about that either :D

Sometimes those of us abroad are more in touch with what's happening at home than people living in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

RuggieBear wrote:
    I've lived in Ireland the past 26 years...is that long enough to be considered Irish?
    Nah, that makes you a blow-in

Thaedydal wrote:

What has the number of moderators got to do with anything even if I was bothered to look?

What has the number of moderators got to do with anything even if I was bothered to look?
    Ah fudge off in fairness if you're going to be an arse about it.

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    Ah fudge off in fairness if you're going to be an arse about it.

I'm not being an arse about anything.
    I've gone to the link that you included and seen a long page full of names of moderators, super moderators and subscribers.

What inspiration am I supposed to take from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

This could be seen as a small fraction of the people who think people who post pointless, whingy threads are ássholes?

Right Pansy you don't know how many mods there are.
    Do you know how many are not holders or irish passports or not currently resident in ireland ?
    Do you know how a mod is chosen, what the citera are and who dedcides ?

What is it that you want?
    Boards only to be accessible to those with 'irish' ip addresses ?
    Irish topics only to be talked about ?
    anything that is not created/invented by an irish person to be disallowed ?
    Anything that is not happening in the 26 counties to be disallowed as it is not happening in ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

tbh the irish ip thing wouldnt work(i know its a frecking stupid idea in the first place) if such a filter could be put in place, because NTL and Chorus are routed through amsterdam.

also, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Diogenes - I know that aldi.ie is an Irish store, but I don't know what point you're trying to make.

The point whistling over your head is that aldi is an international store, therefore a mod, living abroad, could have personal experience of aldi, and recommend or suggest someone should try the irish website of aldi.

Anyway, I was not making any racist comments. Read the original post before shooting your mouths off, or borrow the dictionary and look it up.
    I was merely remarking on the fact that many of the posters/moderators (anyone know how many?) are not resident in Ireland, and consequently could be accused of not being sufficiently in touch with the facts in all cases.

Perhaps you could offer us an example wherein a mod living abroad, got the facts wrong on some matter, and such a mistake is due to the fact that they are living abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Some of us tell fibs about our locations too.

I don't actually live in Vector Sigma

Some day though... some day soon...

tbh the irish ip thing wouldnt work(i know its a frecking stupid idea in the first place) if such a filter could be put in place, because NTL and Chorus are routed through amsterdam.

Some sites don't see ibb ips as being irish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

anc.jpg

Hahah, I wondered what Dermot was up to these days - making good use of his time obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭leche solara

Thaedydal wrote:
    Right Pansy you don't know how many mods there are.
    Do you know how many are not holders or irish passports or not currently resident in ireland ?
    Do you know how a mod is chosen, what the citera are and who dedcides ?

What is it that you want?
    Boards only to be accessible to those with 'irish' ip addresses ?
    Irish topics only to be talked about ?
    anything that is not created/invented by an irish person to be disallowed ?
    Anything that is not happening in the 26 counties to be disallowed as it is not happening in ireland ?

Talk about going over board!
    What the OP referred to was that she had noticed that some forums (unspecified) appeared to be moderated by non-residents, and she didnt think this was a good thing. She can only have known they were non-resident if they gave their location as being abroad, or if it came up in a thread. Without knowing what forum, we can't know. Maybe the OP can elaborate.
    I think if you had actually read what she said you would see no reference to any of the above that I've quoted from you..

While I'm not in complete agreement with the OP, I think a lot of what has been said since is mindless ranting from people who should engage their brain before rushing into posting a reply.

Like the OP, I don't get the relevance of CuLT's hyperactive rant about the number of moderators. I guess he/she didn't read/understand the OP either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Still, its a break from the old "Boards.ie is a british conspiracy" routine.

(it is, you know)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement