Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Irish is boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Like the OP, I don't get the relevance of CuLT's hyperactive rant about the number of moderators. I guess he/she didn't read/understand the OP either.

I'm going to assume you're just a bit dim, so I'll give you the chance to redeem yourself. Where did I go on a hyperactive rant?

Please, quote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are nearly 400 mods, if pansy thinks there are only 50 and 10 of them are non national I can understand where she may have concerns but I find the idea that this makes the site less irish to be a perplexing one.

So I have asked a few questions to flesh out her point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Des Bishop could live here for 100 years and he wouldn't know what it is to be Irish. I saw him at a comedy gig in England and he did nothing but slag off OUR country. I stood in a 1000 strong crowd and never felt so alienated in my life. If he was truly Irish, he would understand why that was a bad thing to do.

You can live here long enough to merit being able to offer a valuable contribution to the threads but knowing what it is to be Irish is a very different thing.
    wait...you say that Des Bishop doesn't know what its like to be truly Irish, because he slags Ireland? Have you read boards at all recently by any chance? Irish people slag Ireland all of the time.

Blowfish wrote:
    wait...you say that Des Bishop doesn't know what its like to be truly Irish, because he slags Ireland? Have you read boards at all recently by any chance? Irish people slag Ireland all of the time.
    Pfft, it's ok to slag Ireland if you're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭leche solara

CuLT, both yourself and Thaedydal kept going on about counting the number of moderators. I don't think it served any purpose in making your debating point. It just came across to me as shouting. And I think her point was about non-residents not non-nationals. Now that would be a different discussion altogether.

I could expand further if I knew how to do multiple quotes.

• Advertisement

The code for quotes is pretty easy
    [noparse]
    UserName wrote:
    What they said.
    [/noparse]

This is how you make multiple quotes:
    CuLT, both yourself and Thaedydal kept going on about counting the number of moderators.
    Wrong.

I mentioned once to Thaed that her link did not show the moderators. Then, as a side note, I posted information on where one could obtain such a list of they were interested.
    I don't think it served any purpose in making your debating point.
    My only original point was on what a moderators role is. Additionally, this is a discussion, not a debate.

When was the last time your curtly cut a friend off in a pub conversation when it meandered away from what the conversation started as?
    It just came across to me as shouting.
    Okaaaaay. Well, you're coming across as a bit of an oddball in interpreting how people write.
    THIS IS HOW MOST PEOPLE "AURALIZE" SHOUTING ON A FORUM.
    And I think her point was about non-residents not non-nationals.
    Yes, yes, her thinly veiled dislike of those who aren't "one of us" was appreciated by all.
    Now that would be a different discussion altogether.

Yes, much of it centering around her discriminating against people who aren't up with current affairs in Ireland for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Was answered more or less on the first or second page.

Moderators are like cleaners. Best to think of them like that. Not some kind of all knowing all seeing beings.

As for boards, its fricken huge. So huge that it is unlikely you would read everything or even find everything. We have gifted kids schools, pirate ninjas and kittencake and heck I've been around since day1 and only found out there was a nintendo forum like 2 weeks ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RuggieBear wrote:
    I've lived in Ireland the past 26 years...is that long enough to be considered Irish?
    Normans have been here since 1169 but are still considered blowins by some :p

I fear, however, that particularly with moderators from overseas, who are out of touch with the Irish zeitgeist that boards.ie could be colonised by outside cultures.
    "out of touch with the Irish zeitgeist", would this be that which existed pre boom and can still be found, or the shallower more materialistic one of the boom which is less distinctively Irish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Blowfish wrote:

Yes I have been around boards and yes I know Irish people slag off Ireland all the time - but he is not Irish. You will find that some of those who presistently slag off this country, call it a kip etc etc etc love nothing better than to bring anything green they have with them when they go abroad, drape the tricolour off their holiday balcony and spend their times in Irish pubs going on to everyone else about how great it is here. You will NEVER find an Irish person slagging off Ireland and the Irish people to a crowd of English / British folk. It's something you just don't do. If he was Irish and understood what it is to be Irish he wouldn't have done it in a million years.
    Maybe I should have elaborated. He told them about working in Abrakebabra and how a Chinese member of staff dealt with racist / rude customers with 'I hope you Irish paddies die in the famine' to which the English crowd roared in approval, jumping up and down clapping, cheering and waving their fists. Several were laughing in my face as, at the start of the gig Bishop asked for all Irish people to put their hands up, which I did and they knew then where I was from. He said nothing about how good the country is, how it gave him his living, how he's happy to sleep with our 'freckled' women who are mainly 'products of incest' - and they are direct quotes folks!
    I've had no time for him after that because of the way he made me feel that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

paragraphs....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can't find them either?

Where are you seeing them Ruggie?

Is this some kind of mod 'in-joke' about paragraphs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭leche solara

CuLT wrote:

I mentioned once to Thaed that her link did not show the moderators. Then, as a side note, I posted information on where one could obtain such a list of they were interested.

The OP said at the outset she didn't have a list of the mods she was referring to. Supplying a list didnt help any as it was just a list - it didnt provide any information on location. So the list in itself served no purpose.
    CuLT wrote:
    My only original point was on what a moderators role is. Additionally, this is a discussion, not a debate.

I dont think the role of the moderator was ever in question.
    Discussion v. debate = semantics
    CuLT wrote:
    Okaaaaay. Well, you're coming across as a bit of an oddball in interpreting how people write.
    THIS IS HOW MOST PEOPLE "AURALIZE" SHOUTING ON A FORUM.

I think if a person keeps going on about something until they get an answer that is shouting whether it is upper or lower case.
    CuLT wrote:
    Yes, yes, her thinly veiled dislike of those who aren't "one of us" was appreciated by all.

Thinly veiled as it might have been to you, I don't believe that was the point at all.

and finally your post started with:
    CuLT wrote:
    This is how you make multiple quotes:
    You didnt show me or tell me how to do multiple quotes - you just showed that you can do them. Very big and clever.

No it is not an in joke it is those of use that find large chunks of text with out the good grace of paragraphs damn hard to read never mind understand.

And what on earth does dopey des the bollix bishop have to do with the issue ?

You didnt show me or tell me how to do multiple quotes - you just showed that you can do them. Very big and clever.

That's because I was making fun of you.

The rest of your post is uninteresting. The pair of you aren't even proper haters, just airheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I am posting this in After Hours as AH seems to me to be a catch-all for miscellaneous topics. Feel free to move it if its not appropriate.
    The mod who cleaned up after your laziness may or may not have been Irish. This didn't affect them being able to clean up after your laziness.

The answer to the question "How Irish is boards.ie?" is, boards.ie is a website run by an Irish-registered company which is run by a group of people, most of whom are Irish and all of whom are resident in Ireland.

It grew organically from a group of people that are mainly Irish but has never excluded those outside of Ireland and you've hardly made much of an argument for it suddenly starting now.

Thaedydal wrote:
    No it is not an in joke it is those of use that find large chunks of text with out the good grace of paragraphs damn hard to read never mind understand.

And what on earth does dopey des the bollix bishop have to do with the issue ?

par·a·graph Pronunciation (pr-grf)
    n.
    1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

As you will see from my post, the words 'yes' and 'maybe' are the markers of the start of my 2 paragraphs.
    Anyone who finds 'large chunks of text' hard to read shouldn't be on here, never mind be a moderator. Understanding comes in the reading of text.

If you had read earlier on in the forum, you would see that someone was outlining the different types of moderators on here. the last was 'adopted Irish' and Des Bishop was given as an example of someone who knew what it was to be Irish. I felt the need to respond, which I did. Not to say that someone that isn't from here couldn't be a moderator but that knowing what it is to be Irish is very different from knowing what it is like to live here.

What has paragraphs got to do with the issue? 2 moderators took up 3 posts referring to it in a smart manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

i think i lol'd so much some wee came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As I said I'm relatively new here, and it was just something I noticed.

You may be new, but you've managed to post one of the most pointless threads to surface on boards for a long time. Congrats on being notable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

/me raises hand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I fear, however, that particularly with moderators from overseas, who are out of touch with the Irish zeitgeist that boards.ie could be colonised by outside cultures..
    Believe me, I could be living in any other country and I'd still be as out of touch with the Irish zeitgeist as I currently am.

Personally I don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Misinformation comes from all directions and people, Irish, located in Ireland or not!

I vote Atari Jaguar, anyone with me?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If someone wasn't up to the job of moderation, they'd be removed in the dead of night (the admins have people for these sorts of jobs). Someone's nationality should have no bearing on things. BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET, location has zero bearing on this.

Being a mod is a pain in the arse, we have to deal with all the muppets and then every 6 - 9 months someone like you comes along who just doesn't get it and probably never will. This isn't your fault and I'm not going to have a go at you (it'd be too easy and not very constructive). I am going to offer an explanation as to why all these people have slagged you off...
    • You admit to being new here, so you have no idea how this community "pulses"
    • You have made the assumption that someone's location is vital to their knowledge of and ability to talk about any topic
    • You do not know what it is the "staff" (general catch-all name for the admins, smods and mods, and no, I'm not implying we "work" for boards) do.
    • You didn't take the time to figure out/ask where this thread should have gone (that's just bad manners, sorry)
    • Your point doesn't make a lot of sense to most of us
    Should I scare you by saying that I know 1 of the admins is English and another born in Belfast?!?!?! OMFG TEH KONSPEARICY!!!!!!11

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Kharn wrote:
    Should I scare you by saying that I know 1 of the admins is English and another born in Belfast?!?!?! OMFG TEH KONSPEARICY!!!!!!11
    Can we take away their Admin rights?

I'm currently living in New Zealand for about 3 weeks now. Got made a mod when I moved. Maybe I should move more often :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yes I have been around boards and yes I know Irish people slag off Ireland all the time - but he is not Irish.

You will find that some of those who presistently slag off this country, call it a kip etc etc etc love nothing better than to bring anything green they have with them when they go abroad, drape the tricolour off their holiday balcony and spend their times in Irish pubs going on to everyone else about how great it is here.

You will NEVER find an Irish person slagging off Ireland and the Irish people to a crowd of English / British folk. It's something you just don't do. If he was Irish and understood what it is to be Irish he wouldn't have done it in a million years.

Maybe I should have elaborated. He told them about working in Abrakebabra and how a Chinese member of staff dealt with racist / rude customers with 'I hope you Irish paddies die in the famine' to which the English crowd roared in approval, jumping up and down clapping, cheering and waving their fists.

Several were laughing in my face as, at the start of the gig Bishop asked for all Irish people to put their hands up, which I did and they knew then where I was from.

He said nothing about how good the country is, how it gave him his living, how he's happy to sleep with our 'freckled' women who are mainly 'products of incest' - and they are direct quotes folks!

I've had no time for him after that because of the way he made me feel that day.

Much easier to read.
    Anyone who finds 'large chunks of text' hard to read shouldn't be on here, never mind be a moderator. Understanding comes in the reading of text.

Did you know without paragraphs it makes your stuff a nightmare to read for people who don't have English as a first language. On the internet you also shouldn't span a paragraph over 3-4 lines and always have a break between paragraphs.

This will probably get me a membership to spellchecks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

20041103h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hobbes wrote:
    Did you know without paragraphs it makes your stuff a nightmare to read for people who don't have English as a first language.

Maybe s/he wants to wind up the "auslander" boardies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

While my original posting has gone completely off topic (Who is the moderator of this forum?) there are some things I would like to come back on.
    Kharn wrote:
    If someone wasn't up to the job of moderation, they'd be removed in the dead of night (the admins have people for these sorts of jobs). Someone's nationality should have no bearing on things. BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET, location has zero bearing on this.

Being a mod is a pain in the arse, we have to deal with all the muppets and then every 6 - 9 months someone like you comes along who just doesn't get it and probably never will. This isn't your fault and I'm not going to have a go at you (it'd be too easy and not very constructive). I am going to offer an explanation as to why all these people have slagged you off...

I don't agree that "location has zero bearing". While the internet makes the world a smaller place, it cant be the answer to everything. As I said earlier there are some situations where you just have to be there. That is the only point I was making. I was not targetting moderators or ordinary posters - I was just saying that local knowledge can on many occasions supersede information gleaned from the net.

Kharn also explains the onerous task of being a moderator. I accept that its not a job for everyone, and indeed I wouldn't want it myself, but I do not think it should be given to bullies who respond to people like this.
    CuLT wrote:
    That's because I was making fun of you.

The rest of your post is uninteresting. The pair of you aren't even proper haters, just airheads.

IMHO I believe a moderator should be a voice of reason, a calming influence. I don't think CuLT has contributed anything meaningful to this discussion, This "I'm better than you, I can make multiple quotes", "I was making fun of you" is frankly childish. I can see why he's a moderator for mostly children's activities. Is his behaviour considered normal for a moderator?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement