Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Irish is boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

I'd like a list of the moderators who Pansy Potter feels are inappropriate to their forums because they are not based in Ireland.

I would also like at one link to instances where those moderators have responded to threads offering inaccurate and out of date information that they believe to be true, because they are out of touch with Irish culture.

Without a response to the above two requests, this thread is nothing but a rabble-rousing, unsubstantiated allegation by an attention whore, who based on number of posts, registration date and vociferousness of opinion is probably the re-registration of a banned user or a second account.

After you, Pansy Potter, substantiate your claims, or I shall throw custard pies at you and piss all over your worthless allegations.

You like many others in this thread have not read or understood what I have said. Just go back to the start and carefully read everything that has been written. Any big words look for help. We'll wait for you.

You are another of these, and you are far from alone, who believe that the number of posts you have put up gives you some kind of seniority and right to insult others. You didnt start on boards with 2,000 posts. When, please tell me, am I allowed to show "vociferousness of opinion".
    I didnt realise that anyone newish was a serf to long serving folk like yourself. Now maybe you can put your custard pie to some use when you go back to jacking off Daniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

well that was mature

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You are another of these, and you are far from alone, who believe that the number of posts you have put up gives you some kind of seniority and right to insult others.
    The only person here who seems to be obsessed with post counts is yourself.

And I don't think it's about a feeling of seniority, it's more a sense community. You've suggested that there is a problem with this community without providing any specific example... how would you suggest people react in such a situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

attention whore

A bit harsh no? I've seen people getting warned for less - where are the Moderators now I ask??????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Boards needs to be pure!!

IE for the Irish!

I say we round up all these non-irish blow in trouble makers and put them in a camp and make them concentrate on what they have done! We'll call them thinking camps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You like many others in this thread have not read or understood what I have said. Just go back to the start and carefully read everything that has been written. Any big words look for help. We'll wait for you.

That's good of you. Considering you can't even recall what you posted first, I'm not sure you're the one to help me.
    I am, however, surprised at the number of posters, many of them moderators, who are not living in Ireland. I know the internet is the same wherever you are in the world (well maybe not China!), but some subjects are unique to different countries, and I'm not sure that a poster or moderator that is not living in Ireland is fully tuned in.

This is your first point - posters or moderators not living in Ireland may not be fully tuned in to Irish issues.
    Its easy to compare prices/quality etc. from different websites wherever you are in the world, but for some things you just have to be there.

This is your second point - you feel that just referencing the internet is not sufficient to support your opinion, you have to be in Ireland to be able to talk with authority on Irish matters.
    Even when a posting can be resolved by pointing the OP to a website, I find it strange when a poster who lives in England, or the U.S. or elsewhere suggests aldi.ie or some other Irish store. They mightn't have a clue how the site performs, or what the recommended store is like since they last saw it when they were last in Ireland.

This is the support to your second point - you give some examples of how just quoting the contents of the internet isn't necessarily helpful to a poster seeking first hand experience.
    I suppose many that have moved abroad might miss the 'oul sod' and boards.ie gives them a little taste of home, but what makes Boards stand out from other discussion sites is its Irishness. Many international sites have answers, opinions and languages so diverse as to be mostly useless, and definitely soulless. Everyone on boards speaks the same language, they understand the Irish way of doing things, Irish humour etc. Those things to me are what makes its appeal.

This is an observation about what makes boards.ie Irish, in your opinion.
    I fear, however, that particularly with moderators from overseas, who are out of touch with the Irish zeitgeist that boards.ie could be colonised by outside cultures.

This is your third point, where you come sweeping in from the left, having put two and two together and made seven. You're basically saying that you think that having overseas mods may facilitiate, or even drive, higher traffic from abroad, thereby diluting the very Irish slant of boards.ie.

**This is the first place where people start to disagree with you.**
    I am not referring to any specific individual(s) above; its just something I've noticed in my thrawling through many many threads. I can't even remember the names.

This is a flippant reference in support of your third point.

**This is the section that is encouraging people to ask you to support your reference, and in turn support your third point, also known as the first place where people start to disagree with you.**

Trying to bait me personally is pointless. I am not a troll shark, I do not rise to troll bait.

And 'jack off to daniels'? What like, did you go to the loo during Puns 101? What does that even mean?

Fact is, your first two points are observations. There is no discussion really to be had around them. Your third point and the supporting statement have been called into question. You have not answered those questions.

If you like, I'll rewrite your opening post so your thread actually makes sense? I think what you were trying to say was:

"When I'm reading boards.ie, I sometimes see posters and moderators offer solutions to queries and problems that the original poster could easily have found for themselves, if only they had used Google. I would like to see more first-hand accounts of personal experience on these boards. And since these boards are hosted in Ireland, for Irish people, I wonder whether or not the number of posters and moderators based overseas just add to the proliferation of Googled responses, with no personal experience."

What you actually came across as saying was 'keep boards.ie for the Irish' and 'no foreign mods' and possibly even 'no mods in foreign countries, sure what would they know about the irish'.

Some people prefer discussion to search engines. Some people have been to search engines and still want discussion to reinforce pros and cons. Some people just like boards.ie.

When you're here a bit longer, you'll see that posters who have never lived in Ireland and offer bullshit opinions on Irish matters are usually shouted down or exposed as not knowing what they're talking about within two or three replies. There is no need to admit posters selectively based on nationality and location, and there is no need to oust moderators who have emigrated in order to keep boards.ie somehow 'as Irish as ever'.

If boards hasn't turned into a lol-fest of smilies, crosstalk, over-busy signatures and international rubbish yet, why do you think it would at this stage of its life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Pansy. Here's an idea.

Why don't you set up a website that's only for Irish people? Nobody's stopping you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am, however, surprised at the number of posters, many of them moderators, who are not living in Ireland. I know the internet is the same wherever you are in the world (well maybe not China!), but some subjects are unique to different countries, and I'm not sure that a poster or moderator that is not living in Ireland is fully tuned in. Its easy to compare prices/quality etc. from different websites wherever you are in the world, but for some things you just have to be there.
    So, back to your original post.
    If this is a problem whatsoever, please point out any examples.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Pansy,

I believe the piece that may have set people off was:

"I fear, however, that particularly with moderators from overseas, who are out of touch with the Irish zeitgeist that boards.ie could be colonised by outside cultures."

Now, I dont know about you but given the number of Stormfronters we have (successfully) fended off... I know my mupp-o-meter nearly blew.

So, people think you are trying to underhandedly slip in a racist/bigotted message, coating it in a more pallitable form of "you'd have to live here to know" rhetoric.

Thats why you are getting hostility. Personally I'm leaning towards that view too. I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise.

In answer to your point directly. We generally have one moderator have SOME knowledge of their topic. Its occasionally important for making decisions on the forum but by and large a moderators job is to clean up the crap and keep things ticking over as smoothly as possible.
    That doesnt require local knowledge. So, the official boards answer would be "thanks for your concern but we think its fine as it is at the moment".

I hope the above helps, I hope you are a genuine person and not a troll or a rascist trying to pimp their agenda by the backdoor but I fear so.

DeV.

Course, most of those "Irish" stormfronters aren't Irish at all but American, for added ironic value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Is his behaviour considered normal for a moderator?
    CuLT isn't a Feedback moderator, so hes just another user posting in the forum. Is his behaviour considered normal for a user? Yes, I would imagine it is.

Regarding your concerns over the diversity of Boards.ie, I don't see where the moderators come into it tbh. What difference does it make if they contribute to a thread? They're just users on this forum, as are we, but they have the responsibility of ensuring the forums they've been granted moderatorship of run smoothly and take care of any trouble makers.

So really your concerns lay with the users here who aren't living in Ireland or aren't Irish, which is a tad stormfront-esque tbh.

People can contribute to whatever thread they want on this great forum, what difference does it make if an Irish person recommends aldi.ie or an American? If both haven't used the service, then they can only recommend the site but can't comment on their service as they haven't used it.
    Also, in the case of that example, aldi is an multi-national company so a users recommendation of its services could be entirely valid, despite them not living in Ireland (OH TEH NO!!!).

Generally people stick to posting what they have knowledge about, or ask questions about subjects that they have no knowledge in, so what difference does it make if they're Irish/English etc?

A moderator is a user like you and I, except they have the burden of responsibility for a forum/fora and their nationality nor their location should matter.

If you have a problem with people living outside Ireland, non-Irish living in Ireland, Irish living outside Ireland etc. posting on Boards, , there's a white nationalist forum in existence that you can f*ck off to (if you're not already a member). Or as Talliesin said, set up your own "Pure Irish Only" site.

[/on-topic serious contribution]

Asok: Keep up the good work :D
    I can see why he's a moderator for mostly children's activities.

LOL, Adverts.ie and Digital Art/Design are mostly childrens activities these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

An excellent step by step annihilation of one of our latest malcontent moaners.

Now, *that* is how you pwn someone.

Take note, my friends.

Now, *that* is how you pwn someone.

Take note, my friends.

Aye,
    Pansy Potter got owned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭leche solara

rb_ie wrote:

What purpose does that serve?
    Click the link and get brought to a silly set of pictures that annoy whoever looks at them
    What does owned mean?
    Is that meant to be some sort of punishment?
    Childishness does seem to be prevalent here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

7 god-dam pages and no Amp posts. Makes me sick.

On a side note, by saying you were owned they are making reference to what gamers say to their opponents when they are constantly beating them in a competitive environment within the strict rules of the game. Eg; You lost, prepare to be well informed of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

maby pansy potters idea was to get you all hot under the collar, well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

regi wrote:
    Still, its a break from the old "Boards.ie is a british conspiracy" routine.

(it is, you know)

I knew it, run!
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3636/ohnoessk4np3.gif

Click the link and get brought to a silly set of pictures that annoy whoever looks at them
    What does owned mean?
    ... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

What does owned mean?

721421666029350365416657_biddies.jpg

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    Generally people stick to posting what they have knowledge about, or ask questions about subjects that they have no knowledge in, so what difference does it make if they're Irish/English etc?
    Actually, posters tend to very often post on matters they haven't a clue (e.g. the OP in this thread). That's okay though because people can reply. They can also point out qualifications in their replies (e.g. Faith on a recent PI thread about paternity and genetics could say "I'm a geneticist" and hence back up her reply with information on where she's coming from in that). What I don't think is okay is to say "I know about this, you don't, shut up" (Indeed, I've banned people for doing that).
    Amusement.
    What does owned mean?
    Owned is hacker, gamer and military slang (apparantly the hacking and military uses were coined independently - a lot of hacker slang comes from military terms, especially pre 1970, but that doesn't seem to be the case here - and both then influenced gamer use) for defeating thoroughly, to the degree of humiliating the loser.
    More giggles at someone else's expense.
    Yes, the thread started at the mental doldrums of ultra-nationalism, but we've raised the intellectual level up to childish. Well done everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It had to be done (sorry!)

This is a local board for local people

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You like many others..pointless waffle, inane drivel, misguided sarcasm, mistaken identity, blah blah... Daniel.

Stop. For the love of all that is sacred to everyone, irregardless of creed, stop.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd like to actually hear what Pansy's response to my answer is. As one of the five owners and considering that I'm one of the few not poking fun I think it might be interesting.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

DeVore wrote:
    I hope you are a genuine person and not a troll or a rascist trying to pimp their agenda by the backdoor but I fear so."
    DeVore wrote:

hmmm I think you are trying to underhandedly slip in an insult , coating it in a more palatable form of "I hope you are a genuine person"

everyone is far to quick to scream racist , witch hunt ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

Why did I read all 8 pages of this thread? Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mike65 wrote:
    It had to be done (sorry!)

This is a local board for local people

Mike.

To help our non-Irish friends get in touch with their inner Irish zeitgeist that's pronouced "A Lhoakhal Booard Fahr Lhoakhal Peapal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Makaveli wrote:
    Why did I read all 8 pages of this thread? Waste of time.
    You know, if you'd changed your Number of Posts to Show Per Page to 40; it would only have been 4 pages.
    You'd be finished in half the time!!!*

*Comments may be for entertainment purposes only and are not subject to facts, actual mathmatics, correct spelling, punctuation or on-topicness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know, if you'd changed your Number of Posts to Show Per Page to 40; it would only have been 4 pages.
    You'd be finished in half the time!!!*
    I was just thinking the same thing.

LOLs at the owned page. If ye thought that was difficult to understand, be thankfull it wasn't pwn3d :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

My oh my haven't the boys been busy...
    Now, *that* is how you pwn someone

Is pwn a misspelling or does it mean something?
    krazy 8s wrote:
    On a side note, by saying you were owned they are making reference to what gamers say to their opponents when they are constantly beating them in a competitive environment within the strict rules of the game

Strict rules of the game? I went offline at about 16:40 yesterday. This 'owned' thing happened at 21:23. I wouldn't call it strict rules of the game if the opponent isn't present.
    rb ie wrote:
    If you have a problem with people living outside Ireland, non-Irish living in Ireland, Irish living outside Ireland etc. posting on Boards, , there's a white nationalist forum in existence that you can f*ck off to (if you're not already a member). Or as Talliesin said, set up your own "Pure Irish Only" site.

Idiot. I never said any of that. You and the rest of the lynch mob have chosen to interpret what I said in a way that suits your own nasty bully boy agenda.
    Talliesin wrote:
    but we've raised the intellectual level up to childish. Well done everyone!

Congatulations again.
    DeVore wrote:
    I'd like to actually hear what Pansy's response to my answer is. As one of the five owners and considering that I'm one of the few not poking fun I think it might be interesting.

I don't know what you mean by 'owners' 'Not poking fun' See my response re strict rules of the game.
    Kharn wrote:
    LOLs at the owned page. If ye thought that was difficult to understand, be thankfull it wasn't pwn3d

pwn3d???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement