Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Irish is boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I don't know what you mean by 'owners' 'Not poking fun' See my response re strict rules of the game.

DeV is one of the five people who own the site boards.ie and numerous other boards sites. See the boards.ieWiki history

EDIT:
    DeVore wrote:
    I'd like to actually hear what Pansy's response to my answer is. As one of the five owners and considering that I'm one of the few not poking fun I think it might be interesting.

Well that's interesting because I also wasn't poking fun and it took ages to get a response from the OP as well! I had to use BIG SHINY LETTERS to get a response. :) Methinks the OP is far more interested in playing the flame war game than actually replying to people who are trying to get a rational response from her while giving the benefit of the doubt regarding her being a...troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am also still waiting for pansy to answer any of the questions put to her.

Thaedydal wrote:
    I am also still waiting for pansy to answer any of the questions put to her.

/Hands out ticket numbers
    Please form an orderly queue ladies and gentlemen, no need to push, thank you :)

C'mon Pansy, forget chasing the flames, try answering those who have treated you with some modicum of respect instead :) Or you could just go to the Thunderdome and get it all out of your system there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

Well done Pansy Potter, the flames you see outside your window are from the crazed mob waiting to ravish your tender body. Wouldn't want to be in your high heels the next time you raise your head above the parapet and have an opinion on anything here.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Shut it pansy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

r3nu4l wrote:
    /Hands out ticket numbers
    Please form an orderly queue ladies and gentlemen, no need to push, thank you :)

C'mon Pansy, forget chasing the flames, try answering those who have treated you with some modicum of respect instead :) Or you could just go to the Thunderdome and get it all out of your system there!

I believed (naively) that the boards experience was about seeking imformation, imparting information, amusement, expressing an opinion, getting and giving feedback and more. However, I was sadly mistaken particularly in relation to expressing an opinion. I made a point which, almost from the word go, has come under attack. So much for my deluded notion that I could express an opinion. I have been subjected to a series of attacks from a mob of arrogant juvenile bullies. If I don't give an answer to a question within a very short period of time I am dodging an issue, and subjected to more abuse from the mob. Then there is the 'owning'. I am flattered.

r3nu4l if you consider "handing out tickets" as "treating me with a modicum of respect" you're just as much up your arse as the rest of the lynch mob.

You should realise that I too have asked questions and only received selective answers, smart answers or no answers at all.

I never thought that if my opinion doesn't fit with the rabble majority then it is immediately wrong, and that I have to be battered into agreeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why don't we start again?

What questions would you like answered?

And can you show us examples of the problems that you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Basically you expressed an opinion and you don't like the replies you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I cant believe you think I am part of a linch mob. I mean I didn't even bring my hanging rope or banjo.

Is pwn a misspelling or does it mean something?

Yes, but deliberate.
    Strict rules of the game? I went offline at about 16:40 yesterday. This 'owned' thing happened at 21:23. I wouldn't call it strict rules of the game if the opponent isn't present.

You are taking what I said out of context. In the context of how it was said to you, it implied that you were making a fool of yourself by being unable to back up anything you had said with facts or evidence. To break the rules in this case would have been to insult with childish humor rather then to explain your point in a concise manner. If you managed to succeed following these guidelines is another matter.

And yes I am aware that quite a few people have responded to you with childish humor, possibly because they didn't want to iterate the same point over and over again. If you want to know what that point was read over the first page.

I don't know what you mean by 'owners' 'Not poking fun' See my response re strict rules of the game.

Out of context, or is it?
    pwn3d???

FTW, IMAO lollers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, as DeV said, examples. Without examples it doesn't look like you have a point, if you can illustrate the problem by giving links then perhaps people can discuss it and see where you're coming from. Perhaps it helps if you knew aswell the history here, and how often StormFront people have come onto the boards to spew their racist-verbal-diarrhea. It has made people weary.

At the moment it looks more like:
    <rant from pansy>
    <abuse from someone>
    <immature joke from someone else>
    <valid point>
    <valid point>
    <valid point>
    <valid point>
    <OMG THIS IS ABUSE from pansy>
    <valid point>
    <valid point>
    <valid point>
    <I'M BEING BULLIED from pansy>

Rather than focus on the posts you're not happy with, you could answer genuine questions people have asked. Otherwise I might be inclined to think you're enjoying playing victim or that you don't want to back up your original post with anything else.

I just want to add aswell that surely you can see where people are coming from. How many racist rants contain something like "we're being colonised by other cultures" and "we're losing our own identity, foreigners shouldn't be allowed in". If your intention isn't racist, defend yourself and explain, instead of saying "woe is me you're all bad and I'm right"

• Advertisement

r3nu4l if you consider "handing out tickets" as "treating me with a modicum of respect" you're just as much up your arse as the rest of the lynch mob.

Ah, Pansy I was joking, that's all. I honestly wasn't trying to offend you. I agree with Gordon, start again and try not to get dragged off topic by the smart-arsed remarks (mine or anyone else's).

I do hope that you don't feel I have bullied you, I just thought that since I was one of the few that actually made an attempt to answer your questions, I would get a response sooner than people who were firing all sorts of crap at you. You had plenty of time to reply to me and others who have tried to answer your questions but instead spent time replying to the rubbish posts. I know it can be hard to ignore them but try not to lose focus.

As I said ages ago, I do sort of see where you are trying to come from but I just don't think that it stands up and I've given my reasons why.

On boards.ie users regularly express opinions on things like 'The Death Penalty in America'. Now last time I was home, Ireland didn't have a death penalty so why are they discussing American issues on an Irish site? After all they are Irish discussing an American issue! Should this be stopped? I don't believe so.

Here's a reason for including Irish (and non-Irish) abroad in boards.ie. Not so long ago someone posted a thread about political correctness. A poster stated that in England, banks can no longer use the image of a Piggy Bank because it is offensive to Muslims.

Now I live in England, I currently bank with Natwest (not for much longer :)) and Natwest use Piggy banks in their adverts all the time. They're everywhere! So some Irish poster, living in Ireland was using an example from England to illustrate a point but was completely wrong!

I quickly replied and attached an image from the Natwest website with said Piggy Bank on display. That was only corrected because my direct experience told me that the post was bullsh*t. It is true that somebody made a complaint to the financial regulator but leading Muslim groups did not back this complaint.

So sometimes having a wide array of experience can help to correct what are insular thoughts and concepts. Diversity is a good thing or...variety is the spice of life :)

EDIT: Pansy, this site will help you with the abbreviations you see here. Type 'pwned' and 'FTW' and 'W00t' etc into the search engine and it will explain them for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Basically you expressed an opinion and you don't like the replies you got.

I don't agree, she expressed an opinion and was dive bombed by certain people on here. r3nu4l, you have just put up one of the fairest replies to her I've seen on here. Whether she agrees or not, she can at least feel she was answered in a courteous manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

I don't agree, she expressed an opinion and was dive bombed

No she expressed an opinion badly, offered little or no insight in what brought her to this conclusion, nor offered any example of the problem she presented, and has consistently failed to so. She's not focused on the posters who've actually asked questions, including one site admin, she's gone after posters in a tit for tat manner.

Diogenes wrote:
    No she expressed an opinion badly, offered little or no insight in what brought her to this conclusion, nor offered any example of the problem she presented, and has consistently failed to so. She's not focused on the posters who've actually asked questions, including one site admin, she's gone after posters in a tit for tat manner.

She said it was something she 'noticed' while on here. You can notice that it rains sometimes and is sunny other times but if asked to pin point the exact date and time it did, it can be hard.

Are you not allowed to make a general observation about something without providing dates, times, mods, posters, statistics? Just because she doesn't have these things to hand doesnt mean she hasnt 'noticed' something. She may not have seen a misinformed post by someone not Irish or from outside Ireland, but on observing that there are those on that are not in the country, she is merely asking for feedback from others to see if and how this affects the operation of the site. If she is new, she might not know.

She was only making an observation. People felt offended and some addressed her in an aggressive manner for merely pointing out something she had noticed.

Not everyone is going to agree with whatever the OP says but there are ways and means of responding. It is very easy to get involved in the tit for tat aspect because if someone is accusing you of something or being nasty, it is human nature to want to defend yourself before anything else.

I know that there are people waiting in the wings for responses to their nicely phrased questions, I am aware of that, all I am saying is, if this debate was happening in someone's front room and we were all face to face, you would find a lot of people reeling in their acid tongues and a lot of what has been written to and about her would not be said. If everyone behaved better maybe then she would be able to respond to the people who asked nicely instead of having to constantly defend her name against the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH Cherie Pansy has had plenty of opportunity to express her views and provide examples to back them up. She could have ignored the "ignorant" responses and addressed those people who politely responded.

Instead she has ignorantly stonewalled their responses and carried on in the same vein. My opinion is that she/he is a nothing more than a troublemaker and troll. I would love to be proven wrong but doubt I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

So is it actually heresy on Boards to express an opinion without the foreknowledge to parcel up all the relevant quotes and reference points required by law and can you not just toss one out there and see what happens???:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

letterman wrote:
    So is it actually heresy on Boards to express an opinion without the foreknowledge to parcel up all the relevant quotes and reference points required by law and can you not just toss one out there and see what happens???:confused:
    Of course you can just "toss it out there and see what happens", but as you can see, this is what happens.

If you want to say something, why be lazy about it?

letterman wrote:

You can but this is what happens. Ask a silly question....etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

letterman wrote:

If you "just toss one out there" you can expect to get responses, that's what happened. Sometimes they'll disagree with you. If you're expecting to post up any old crap and automatically have people agree then... well that's some sort of fantasy land, really. People will challenge what you're saying.

Or was it supposed to be more along the lines of.... Pansy posts rant, admin responds and says "Oh dear you must be right, I will correct this right away and get rid of everyone who doesn't live in Ireland. We are very sorry for this inconvenience!"

letterman wrote:

No if you express your opinion you should be prepared to back it up or suffer the consequences if you are unable to. That rule is whether you are on a discussion board online or talking to some mates down the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

She said it was something she 'noticed' while on here. You can notice that it rains sometimes and is sunny other times but if asked to pin point the exact date and time it did, it can be hard.

Pansy is making a claim that goes aganist the grain of other users. To use your inane analogy, if you came in on monday and said you'd had a lovely sunny weekend in the garden, while everyone else in the office says it was pouring down all weekend, your opinion is an aberation.

Pansy is making a claim, that most people disagree with, Some, admin's included, have asked her to clarify her postion with examples, she's failed to do so/
    Are you not allowed to make a general observation about something without providing dates, times, mods, posters, statistics? Just because she doesn't have these things to hand doesnt mean she hasnt 'noticed' something.

No one asking for all of that they're just asking her to name a forum, or a thread, or a poster. However what she's saying goes directly aganist the grain of most other users who surf boards, and her comments about "colonised by other cultures"
    She may not have seen a misinformed post by someone not Irish or from outside Ireland, but on observing that there are those on that are not in the country, she is merely asking for feedback from others to see if and how this affects the operation of the site. If she is new, she might not know.

Now she said she noticed it on several threads with several posters.
    She was only making an observation. People felt offended and some addressed her in an aggressive manner for merely pointing out something she had noticed.

The majority of posts were polite but dismissive, and the thread was heading into the usual Feedback injokery until she came out with post 37, which was mostly agressive bitching.
    Not everyone is going to agree with whatever the OP says but there are ways and means of responding. It is very easy to get involved in the tit for tat aspect because if someone is accusing you of something or being nasty, it is human nature to want to defend yourself before anything else.

Er lets look at her first response

[quote=pansy
    As usual a number of people strayed off topic and launched into insults simply because they can. It also gets their post count up, which to some appears to be the main purpose of visiting boards. Ooh look at me, I've 20 million posts and 100 stars and a big fat signature picture. Some people even have dictionaries.
    [/quote]

For her the best defense is a good offence apparently.
    I know that there are people waiting in the wings for responses to their nicely phrased questions, I am aware of that, all I am saying is, if this debate was happening in someone's front room and we were all face to face, you would find a lot of people reeling in their acid tongues and a lot of what has been written to and about her would not be said. If everyone behaved better maybe then she would be able to respond to the people who asked nicely instead of having to constantly defend her name against the rest.

New to the internet are you?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

The thread title was enough to prompt the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

She said it was something she 'noticed' while on here.
    So what if she noticed that some of us aren't Irish?

There are very few cases (pretty much who gets to vote in our elections and that's it) where "you are/are not Irish" deserves any response beyond "**** off". Instead people went to the effort of poking fun at her for other users' amusement instead.

She's not going to answer DeVore's questions because she has no answers.

Funnily enough she thinks some moderators and posters may not understand the culture/zeitgeist/whatever and yet has to ask what "pwned" means. Not that I think she should be prohibited from posting just because she doesn't get that part of the local culture on this site, (I for one have always seen the site growing beyond the gaming culture it started from as a good thing) but it's still ironic.

Wow, over 170 posts in, isn't it about time to draw a line under this?

I think Pansy Potter tried to make a point to which even I can see (;)) there was some logic but then it all went haywire after that in the normal AH/feedback manner :D

Okay, she hasn't responded to a lot of points made but there is a lot of pressure on here and...in my opinion only, too many people ready to rip out her throat the moment she posts.

I'm sure she recognises in hindsight that coming to Feedback with this idea without a load of [.QUOTE] tags under her arm wasn't the best way to start the thread.

We should also try to remember that she is (or appears to be) a new user and new users take a while to get acquainted with the way things work in these here parts. :) Even reading the forum charters doesn't always prepare you for intricacies of the boards.ie culture. Hell I'm still learning after almost a year of posting and still make mistakes ;)

I'm not defending Pansy Potter or the manner in which she (and others) have posted, I'm just saying that perhaps it's time to let this one go? Maybe in the spirit of Christmas* we can all gather round for a love-in :)

Myself and plenty of others here are people most likely to be offended by the OP's thread but I'm not offended, I consider it a genuine but misguided question and it's my experience of boards.ie that has let me know how users such as myself can provide relevant input to boards. Pansy is new to boards.ie and perhaps we can remember that. I know some of her posts were aggressive but I'm sure she has learned how far that gets you on boards.ie, this thread is full of examples of the type of replies to expect from an aggressively worded post :D

* Not an excuse to say Bah! Humbug! :D

Diogenes wrote:
    To use your inane analogy, if you came in on monday and said you'd had a lovely sunny weekend in the garden, while everyone else in the office says it was pouring down all weekend, your opinion is an aberation.

To put a spin on your "inane" response, it is sunny and rainy in different places at different times. Maybe when it's raining in Pansy's garden it is sunny in everyone elses - hence the differences of opinion.

Diogenes wrote:
    Pansy is making a claim, that most people disagree with, Some, admin's included, have asked her to clarify her postion with examples, she's failed to do so

I did acknowledge this

Diogenes wrote:
    No one asking for all of that they're just asking her to name a forum, or a thread, or a poster.

...you are responding to me with what I just questioned the necessity of...
    Diogenes wrote:
    Now she said she noticed it on several threads with several posters.

Doesn't mean she recalls which ones
    Diogenes wrote:
    The majority of posts were polite but dismissive, and the thread was heading into the usual Feedback injokery until she came out with post 37, which was mostly agressive bitching..

Post 37 was on foot of the follwing:
    Her point was called 'complete tripe'
    She was called 'racist', diverted to immigration control, told she 'must be living under a rock. Crawl back under it'
    If you doubt the feeling that these posts created, another poster(before 37) says:

"God Almighty, everybody is very touchy. Surely the whole point of boards.ie is that people can come on here and voice their opinion on any subject?
    Seems some people have forgotten this."

Diogenes wrote:
    New to the internet are you?

Clearly not, but just because we're in cyber space and it's easier to be smart or abusive, doesn't mean we should be. You obviously see it as par for the course and perhaps have no problem assuming the persona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

I had considered rewriting my original post from scratch in an attempt to clarify what I was saying, but I no longer have the stomach for this. No matter what I might now write is only likely to be dissected and dissed by the huge array of pedants and malcontents who are more intent on personal attacks than actual constructive discussion. I know there are some here who have remained on topic and who have asked me for clarification on points they do not agree with. But every time I venture into boards for a look (I have work to do as well) I see another 6 or 7 smart ass comments, and I have neither the time nor the patience to filter out those that are legit and those that are just juvenile **** stirrers.

The last straw was the night time boys Roundymooney and RB IE with their "Pansy Potter is owned" ****, and the subsequent response from someone about "the competitive environment within the strict rules of the game".

I appreciate the balanced support from CherieAmour, Letterman and Leche Solara, and to some extent from R3nu4l, and I understand the frustration of some of the genuine posters who have been looking for me to clarify. With the bombardment I have been receiving I just can't keep up.

From now on I'm going to be a good well behaved little boardsie and become a spectator rather than a participant. I don't need this ****.

I know that many of you will be delighted that you slapped down the uppity little newbie, and I hope I have managed to bring some light into your pathetic little lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well then just respond to DeVore's post. He is one of the owners of Boards.ie and is probably best suited to answering your questions.

A couple of things if you cannot "stomach" the smart ass comments then you will not last long on internet discussion boards. The fact you have let this thread carry on for so long without engaging properly has left you open to these people to carry on attacking you because they feel that you are wasting peoples time by jumping in making statements that alot of people took offense to and not even having the manners to clarify what you meant.

Every time you post you climb back up on your cross and act the victim. 6th has a point the least you can do is answer one of the owners of this site DeVore as his hard work provides you with this forum to air your "views".

...I fear, however .... that boards.ie could be colonised by outside cultures...

Even if you ignore the above I don't think its a valid point that someone without local knowledge dilutes the value of thread on a local issue. often that perspective is very informative.

If you are going to start a contentious thread, especially in feedback, you'd want to be able to argue your point and punch above experienced posters to get over the inevitable noise, especially in feedback and especially with mods. Theres always a danger of being misinterpreted if you post woolly comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

troll tbh.

PFO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement