Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is there no automatic top-up option for prepay phones?

• 29-11-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Something that has puzzled me for a long time is why the phone companies don't offer regular automatic top-up by credit/debit card for prepay phones. The facility is there; with all the phone companies I can purchase call credit on their web site with a credit/debit card. I don't understand why they can't have an option to continue topping-up with an amount I choose every month. So I don't have to remember to top up, and go through the inconvenience of having to top-up.

It would be a win-win facility for all: far more convenient for the customer and the phone companies would be getting regularly paid for top-ups from lots of people. I've seen this available on the web sites of some mobile phone companies overseas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they do have that. its called a bill phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup a lot of UK networks offer it. You're credit drops to X amount, and an automatic top up of 10/20/30 etc is debited from your card. Pretyty handy, and no, it's not the same as a bill phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've seen that offered in Germany on pre-pay phones as well. You can choose to have your phone topped up by a fixed amount on a weekly or monthly basis, or have it topped up automatically if your credit drops below X amount.

It's not the same as a bill phone as it still offers you some level of protection (e.g. no nasty surprises), and there is no contract!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i suppose it is different to a bill in that you can stop it when you want but you still have to go to the hassle of contacting your bank or the provider to stop it. also, you have to remember that its going to happen. the last thing you want is the last €20 in your account to be taken just as you're calling someone to say you're going to the atm to get money for a taxi home.

text top up does me just fine.

topup20 to 50131

reply with 3 digits of my online banking pin

and voila, i'm topped up. what could be simpler? you can even top up other people's numbers

Advertisement