Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand console recommendations?

Options
  • 29-11-2006 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

right, i want to get a second hand console. i'm considering everything from a ps2, sega saturn, game cube, n64.

i'm just looking for something cheap and cheerful, games still easy to get, something that isnt going to die on me (i've heard alot of stuff about problems with PS). i enjoy shoot em ups, war games, flying games. not mad about driving games or gay magic/witchcraft type games. think call of duty over zelda

this'll most likely be an ebay jobby. are my concerns about ps justified? i've just seem friends of mine having grief with them - is it endemic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

N64 FTW - with goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of time and banjo kazooie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One word - Dreamcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ok well i'm not into zelda or kirby or lotr or FF or any of that lark
    give me a good old half life or wolfenstein style game any day over that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Atari Jaguar?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

if your into fps, the gc/n64/dreamcast are out the window. ps2 it

• Advertisement

if your into fps, the gc/n64/dreamcast are out the window. ps2 it

Eh goldenye :rolleyes: One of that best FPS....no wait..... one of the best games ever made!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Eh goldenye :rolleyes: One of that best FPS....no wait..... one of the best games ever made!!!!!!!

It was in it's day, but have you played it recently? Let's just say the years haven't been kind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love my Saturn. Excellent selection of shmups, some great quirky titles and of course the unparallelled Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Get a chipped Japanese or american model so even the PAL games will run at 60Hz and also get an action replay 4 in 1 so you can play imports. The raritis are expensive but they are basically abandonware now.

Have to agree with super furry. Goldeneye has aged terribly.

Just like your ma........:D I suppose it's like 10 years old or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Get an Xbox

Halo, Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, Strangers Wrath, Splinter Cell, Pro Evolution 5, Fight Night, Gothem Racing etc etc

Some great games, and because the Xbox 360 has been out for ages the console and games are all pretty cheap second hand. GAME will sell you a second hand Xbox with a years warrenty for €70.

Or the safe bet is the PS2.

Hundreds of quality games, though the PS2 does look "older" (graphics wise) than the Xbox these days, and the second hand games while having a wider range tend to be a bit more expensive (only a few euro though).

Really what ever you pick, Xbox, PS2 or GameCube you will have a large back catolog of class games to play. It is one of the best times to be getting one of these machines, everything is so cheap you will feel like a kid in a candy store.

While the older consoles, like the Dreamcast or N64 have great games on them you will find it a bit harder to find these games, especially the high quality ones (still looking for Paper Mario for my N64 ... roll on the Wii port), where as with a Xbox or PS2 you can walk into your nearest GAME or GameStop and find hundreds

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    Some great games, and because the Xbox 360 has been out for ages the console and games are all pretty cheap second hand. GAME will sell you a second hand Xbox with a years warrenty for €70.
    seriously? sounds deadly!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

xbox would be best actually(you didnt mention it as an option, i assumed you had one)

goldeneye was great but basically timesplitters has the same gameplay IMO

xbox would be best actually(you didnt mention it as an option, i assumed you had one)
    nah, last console i owned was commador64 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

you should get yourself an auld sega saturn. classic auld computer with games like sega rally and virtua cop. hours of fun and id say you would get it for feck all too so you could buy another cheap console, snes maybe, old school baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

mickith wrote:
    you should get yourself an auld sega saturn. classic auld computer with games like sega rally and virtua cop. hours of fun and id say you would get it for feck all too so you could buy another cheap console, snes maybe, old school baby!

Yeah but where is he going to get the games?

The advantage of getting a PS2 or Xbox (or even a GameCube) is that second hand games for these machines are all over the place. Where do you buy quality Saturn games from, apart from dodgy blokes of eBay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Wicknight wrote:
    Yeah but where is he going to get the games?

The advantage of getting a PS2 or Xbox (or even a GameCube) is that second hand games for these machines are all over the place. Where do you buy quality Saturn games from, apart from dodgy blokes of eBay?

I have bought everything for my sega saturn apart from one batch of games off ebay, and I have never had a problem. Games always came as described, everything works perfectly. I love the sega saturn, only machine I still play occasionaly. (Until the Wii is out, 9 days and counting!!!)

Advertisement