Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gpa

Options
  • 29-11-2006 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Does first year count towards your gpa ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Quite simply no only second and third years in Arts degrees that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well you do get a first year GPA but I'm quite sure that in no course does this contribute to the GPA of your degree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

no it doesnt count. i thought it did and i really worked that year. actually wish i hadnt, would've had more fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

why would anyone work hard in first year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

So I could get a high enough GPA to go to Australia during 2nd Year?

Oh wait - dats wuts happening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

So I could get a high enough GPA to go to Australia during 2nd Year?

Oh wait - dats wuts happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Pantsless wrote:
    why would anyone work hard in first year ?
    um, if you thought it had a bearing towards your degree??

um, if you thought it had a bearing towards your degree??

Actually can employers look at your transcript for first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Someone i know is/was (dunno anymore) hoping to join the US airforce and apparently they take your average over your entire degree (he wasnt totally sure tho whatever way it works in the states). I guess it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

AFAIK, Yes employers see your entire transcripts. I remember it being mentioned when ppl had to fail/repeat exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i worked hard in first year for erasmus reasons as well, if there's competition for a place it comes down to your grades and attendance. I dunno if there was competition or not for my place, but i got it anyway, going to UvA in Amsterdam for 3rd year, gonna be sweet!

AFAIK, Yes employers see your entire transcripts. I remember it being mentioned when ppl had to fail/repeat exams.

Cheers thanks for clarifying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Shark you're a rad if I remember correctly - unless the school have gone absolutely mental (which okay may have happened) only 3rd and 4th year will count - mainly because so much of first and second year is not radiography based. 3rd year is 30% of your degree (which i'm currently facing down the barrel not pretty) and 70% goes for 4th year

Also you do no clinical with patients in first year - be mad to have that towards your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Chalker, Id still recommend you ask someone in your school if its important as what was the case for commerce 3 years ago may not be the same for arts today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Just checked with health Sci PRO who has checked his minutes of the programme boards and it's 30% for Stage 3 and 70% for Stage 4 for all radiography students.

And tbh only logical way for it Kaptain, if you look at our course structure compared to Arts or Commerce you'd understand why it was far more logical 1st and 2nd year are far more broadly science based rather with far more emphasis in 3rd and 4th year on Radiography skills.

Advertisement