Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ferrari Enzo rest in peace

Options
  • 29-11-2006 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Ferrari_Enzo_2424b.jpg

Billionaire Suleiman Kerimov totalled his new Ferrari...
    What a sad sight :(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 comphreak

Ferrari_2425c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The insurance company is going to love that! :D

What exactly happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 comphreak

Only after getting it at weekend. Was zig-zagging between cars on Promenade des Anglais in Nice and suddenly drives off road into a tree. He is in critical condition and might not survirve... a woman passenger has minor injuries and will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Scarily enough, that one is only another on the list. remember the one totaled in the US?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Apparently Ferrari will not replace the car, but will rebuild it if the client will cover the cost. They are adamant that only a set number of Enzo's will be made and not a single one more..

Imagine the cost of repairing that baby.. :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Thats what happens for showing off. These cars are to cruise in or to rally around a track where you can go top speeds.Not on a road where theres traffic.:D

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Apparently Ferrari will not replace the car, but will rebuild it if the client will cover the cost. They are adamant that only a set number of Enzo's will be made and not a single one more..

Imagine the cost of repairing that baby.. :eek: :eek:

So if the customer pays they will make another one. That still means an extra one made logically. eg there was 399 now there will be 400 made if this guy pays up.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Or maybe it says something about the people who drive them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Thats the 3rd enzo i've seen split down the middle, must be a design problem.

No, quite the opposite, the cockpit is designed as a "Safety cell" and the car is designed to lose mass in the event of a serious accident, thereby minimizing the risk of injury to the passengers...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

According to Wikipedia, he'd borrowed it from a friend....

Do-more wrote:
    No, quite the opposite, the cockpit is designed as a "Safety cell" and the car is designed to lose mass in the event of a serious accident, thereby minimizing the risk of injury to the passengers...
    What? Like this? http://www.leblogauto.com/images/ferrari_enzo_crash_2.jpg
    Edit: thats another shot of the enzo i posted a min ago.

They just seem to split down either side of the cockpit

yes i have also noticed that all the enzo's that have crashed split in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

drdre wrote:
    So if the customer pays they will make another one. That still means an extra one made logically. eg there was 399 now there will be 400 made if this guy pays up.:cool:

No - Ferrari will not build a brand new Enzo from nothing.
    drdre wrote:
    yes i have also noticed that all the enzo's that have crashed split in the middle.

Ferrari designed the Enzo in a way that the cockpit will seperate from the engine in the case of an accident.

as stated its a safety cell, the same as in an f1 car. By it splitting down the middle, it seperates the passenger section from the engine section.

And it wont mean another one built, it will be the same car REPAIRED.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

drdre wrote:

No, there will still only be 399, the rebuilt car will still carry the chassis number from the wreck!

invest4deepvalue.com

as stated its a safety cell, the same as in an f1 car. By it splitting down the middle, it seperates the passenger section from the engine section.
    And it means you have a chance of hitting the pavement at 170mph when the car starts separating. Wow, great 'safety' cell.

It doesn't work properly 33%of the time. They should have left it out.

of corse its safer, the car is made of carbon fiber, if it crashes and doesnt split, there is morechance of the engine coming through the back of the seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

What? Like this? http://www.leblogauto.com/images/ferrari_enzo_crash_2.jpg
    Edit: thats another shot of the enzo i posted a min ago.

They just seem to split down either side of the cockpit

No car would survive after a 150mph crash.I doubt Ferrari built the Enzo's cell to withstand such a crash. Just look at the rest of the pictures,it still did it's job by detaching itself from the engine.God only knows what that car+cell went through before it came to a rest. Looks more like a car bomb then a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

And it means you have a chance of hitting the pavement at 170mph when the car starts separating. Wow, great 'safety' cell.

It doesn't work properly 33%of the time. They should have left it out.

:rolleyes:

Quote from atlasf1.autosport.com...
    With the survival cell being so strong, some of the force from the impact must be taken away from the driver, and teams partially achieve this by designing the car to break up in certain impacts. A good example of this is the way in which Martin Brundle's Jordan broke in two when it rolled in Australia in 1996 - the rear of the car broke away, leaving the survival cell separated from the engine and gearbox, reducing the forces transmitted to the driver.

Taxman I was talking about when the front of the car detached from the cockpit thus shredding the driver to pieces. Your posts about how its usually meant to work are irrelevant. It doesn't work all of the time in this car and has catastrophic results when it doesn't.

I am fully aware of how dissapating energy is a way of cutting down damage to the driver and passengers. Spitting them out on the road when it doesn't work isn't avoiding damage to drivers.

They obviously haven't perfected the split point of the car well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Taxman I was talking about when the front of the car detached from the cockpit thus shredding the driver to pieces. Your posts about how its usually meant to work are irrelevant. It doesn't work all of the time in this car and has catastrophic results when it doesn't.

I am fully aware of how dissapating energy is a way of cutting down damage to the driver and passengers. Spitting them out on the road when it doesn't work isn't avoiding damage to drivers.

They obviously haven't perfected the split point of the car well enough.

Go aphex - Ferrari design centre are calling after you :rolleyes:

So tell me, how many Enzo drivers (who's cars have split as per design of the safety cell) have died?

While your at it.. how many other cars can you crash at in excess of 170MPH and survive with injuries (like the driver here) or walk away (like his female passenger has)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just for the record, that crash happened in a 50kph zone.
    The driver must be a card carrying gobshyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 simonmcg

Do-more wrote:
    No, there will still only be 399, the rebuilt car will still carry the chassis number from the wreck!

Just so you all know there was actually 400 enzos made, it was to be give to Pope John Paul II but he before it could be delivered so it was given to the new pope benedict xv who then sold it
    I think it was bought by the same guy who made the P4/5 if i remember correctly

on surviving an enzo crash the gangster that owned gizmondo crashed his at 180+ mph about 10 feet off the ground into a pole and him and a passenger walked away ...... I think Ferrari done an OK job,
    PS Ferrari said they would fix his car for $500,000 so not even a right off

Hagar wrote:
    Just for the record, that crash happened in a 50kph zone.
    The driver must be a card carrying gobshyte.

Indeed. And whoever sold him the Enzo - probably not Ferrari themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

simonmcg wrote:
    Just so you all know there was actually 400 enzos made, it was to be give to Pope John Paul II but he before it could be delivered so it was given to the new pope benedict xv who then sold it
    I think it was bought by the same guy who made the P4/5 if i remember correctly

Luca De Montezemolo presented Pope John Paul II with the last Enzo. After having thanked the Scuderia, the Pope asked them to sell the car for the benefit of Caritas Tsunami Charity.

The car was sold to Don Wallace. Wallace previously owned another Enzo which was supposedly crashed by his son. The car was repaired and eventually sold. Wallace also owns a Ferrari FXX, Maserati MC12 and McLaren F1.

The owner of the Ferrari P4/5 is Jim Glickenhaus. He is not the owner of the last Enzo.

Enzo Ferrari - S/N ZFFCZ56B000141920

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i remember reading about an enzo crash in top gear mag that the driver was doing over 150mph when he crashed and survived and fled the scene before emergency services arrived

• Advertisement

E@gle. wrote:
    i remember reading about an enzo crash in top gear mag that the driver was doing over 150mph when he crashed and survived and fled the scene before emergency services arrived

That was Dietrich

Advertisement