Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you accept as premiership winners?

• 29-11-2006 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭

If on the last day of the season Man United and Chelsea are neck and neck which one of the teams would neutrals like to see winning the premiership. In light of recent Chelsea bashing threads the question is have Chelsea replaced Man Utd as the most disliked team in the English premiership? As I said neutrals only.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Sorry meant to add a poll, can anyone help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I suppose i would rather Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As a Liverpool fan, I'd still want Chelsea to win it. Just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't care if its a toss up between those two.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Man utd.

think it's more interesting and competitive if someone different wins it every year.

chelsea last year

so man u this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Tis a bit of a shame that Liverpool and Arsenal are not giving it more of a go this year. I think Chelsea will win it again as with their strength in depth it's a lot harder to see them slipping up to the likes of Everton on a wednesday night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

fade2black wrote:
    I think Chelsea will win it again as with their strength in depth it's a lot harder to see them slipping up to the likes of Everton on a wednesday night...
    Not feeling confident about tonight? ;)

On the OPs question, I'd have to go with Chelsea, with Drogba to be top scorer and player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

ABC (Anyone But Chelsea)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Whoever has the most points at the end of the season(barring high court decisions)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

KdjaCL wrote:
    Whoever has the most points at the end of the season(barring high court decisions)

kdjac

I like it :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Chelsea. you would never hear the end of it if United won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Chelsea.

Regardless of recent rivalrly with chelsea, Utd are still our biggest rivals and thats not going to change for the forseeable. So for obvius reasons I dotn want Utd to win it.

Plus if Chelsea win I only have to listen to my dad and one other guy I rarely see gloating. On the other hand I know loads of Utd fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Reganio 2 wrote:

Chelsea for the exact same reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote:
    Lucky there were none this season then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Man Utd (or Watford :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Whichever team plays the more entertaining football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Chelsea, I was an ABU child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Once an ABU, always an ABU. Oh and I'd hate Liverpool to win it. They'd be talked about even more on here (if that's possible) :eek:

So City, Chelsea and Arsenal it is.

• Advertisement

So at the moment its Utd 4 Chelsea 7 and 2 spoilt. Probably been 0-13 two years ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As a Leeds fan that's like giving me the choice between the electric chair or the gas chamber. That said, any team is better than the team in red from Manchester winning, even Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

As it looks like a 2 horse race, I'd go for Manusa as they play a more entertaining style of football compared to Chelsea!

zaph wrote:
    As a Leeds fan that's like giving me the choice between the electric chair or the gas chamber. That said, any team is better than the team in red from Manchester winning, even Chelsea.

even though your Chairman had plans to sue them, and they stole 3 of your youngsters!! Jesus alot of ABUs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Trilla wrote:
    even though your Chairman had plans to sue them, and they stole 3 of your youngsters!! Jesus alot of ABUs here.

I think you underestimate the Leeds/Man Utd rivalry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

As it looks like a 2 horse race, I'd go for Manusa as they play a more entertaining style of football compared to Chelsea!

That seems like the best reason i've read. Chelsea's style, despite being very effective, bores me so much. i only really like watching utd and arsenal play of the "big four"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm staunchly ABU and probably always will be

Definately would prefer a chelsea win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

united.

why do chelsea even bother with a youth academy nowadays? Seriously... none of their inbred players will ever get a game. if John Terry was 10 years younger, he'd never be a chelsea player.

Toss in Murinho as well - the most ignorant man on the planet. Worse than wenger. I'd love to see him lose the title on the last day having been 3 points in front and pipped by goal difference. :D

Chelsea are or were a better unit than Utd, more of a team... however they've gotten comfortable and are now slipping into the 'we are the champions' mode where they underestimate opposition they've crushed in the past.

Their football is boring. Too much emphasis on the physical side of the game, not enough fluency in their play to rival the swaggering Arsenal side of a few years ago.

Play like arsenal did a few years ago, collect & retain trophies and nobody can fault you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Reganio 2 wrote:

Just like we never hear the end of liverpool living on their history:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Aquos76 wrote:
    Just like we never hear the end of liverpool living on their history:D :D:D

next season will be theirs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Man u .... Jeeze that hurt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Play like arsenal did a few years ago, collect & retain trophies and nobody can fault you.

not that easy though.

chelsea for me.

smemon wrote:
    next season will be theirs :D
    Very true.

But also echoed by the United fans these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

chelsea

reason: well, d'you ever see the very end of return of the king when gollum finally gets his hands on the ring again and he does this little gay dance and holds the ring high in the air with a goofy look on his face

well...

thats the mental image i have of the likes of phb, muppet and smemnon and the like if man u ever win the premiership again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol Phil, that's the same image i have of yourself, mike365 and Ste Kelly if Liverpool ever win the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Who would you accept as premiership winners?

Given I couldn't change anything, the team with the most points!

Living in Ireland its hard to choose given I've no connection to one or specific hatred towards the other, although Man Utd fans here bug me more than Chelsea ones. Probably because of having to listen to them go on about winning English trophies for so long, the Chelsea fans are only blow-ins sure. They know it just as much as everyone who hopped on the Man Utd and Arsenal bandwagons a few years ago do. ;) If I lived in England, I guess it would depend on rivalries between my team and the teams in question, it would depend on whichever fans you'd hear less ridiculous never-ending gloating from, which would be Chelsea. I think. But that's just because I;d be a sore loser! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Very true.

But also echoed by the United fans these days ;)

True but with some justification for United fans whose team is being improved from season to season unlike the pool whose team improvement programme appears to be in reverse .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

The Muppet wrote:
    True but with some justification for United fans whose team is being improved from season to season unlike the pool whose team improvement programme appears to be in reverse.
    To be honest I'd say the current United crop is a far cry from the team that last won the league.

And I wouldn't exactly say 3rd, 3rd and 2nd (by a single point) is an improvement that "justifies" thoughts of winning the league.

United fans sound as bad as Liverpool fans these days, but there's no doubting that Liverpool's fans have been sounding like that for a hell of a lot longer. But I can draw lots of similarities between their two situations.

Regardless, we're going OT and I won't be contributing anymore to that.

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    Their owner is pumping millions into the game .
    Good logic there I think you meant to say Chelsea. Anyway the current state of play is Man Utd 8 Chelsea 16 and 2 undecided.

sherlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i'd much prefer chelsea to win, and they will win it.

RasTa wrote:
    lol Phil, that's the same image i have of yourself, mike365 and Ste Kelly if Liverpool ever win the premiership

God forbid if that happens. Im a Manchester United supporter true and true. I dont dislike Liverpool, however I fúcking fúcking fúcking hate the way Liverpool fans go on about United. I like Liverpool football club alot, have great admiration for them as a club. I dont dislike any of their players and havent disliked one in a while now. It bugs me ever so slightly that a club like Chelsea come along with ready made billions,buying world class defender,midfielder and striker in the summer on top of the squad that walked the last 2 seasons....and still these guys come out and say "Chelsea, cas Im an ABU". What the hell is that about?

Its nice to have the oul banter argument, and yeah its good to see United and Arsenal not walking the English league like they have been the past 20 years. But I fail to understand how people hate Manchester United so much, they've always had strong Irish links, with the best Irish player playing for Manchester United as far as I can remember McGrath[late 80s], Irwin[early 90s] and Keane[mid/late 90s]. Especially now with Chelsea around and how they are planning their domination attempt... I really dont understand it.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Well worked out Sherlock considering i said "i hope Chelsea win" in the line above what you quoted me on!:rolleyes:
    Well Dr Watson I was referring to your comment regarding RA being good for the game by pouring money into it, which IMO doesn't do anyone any good apart from Chelsea, but hey lets not go down that road again:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I am sure it has helped Man city.

Trilla the ABU's all stem from Sky and hype. Liverpool were much hated in the 70's and 80's I remember every neutral fans (Spurs excepted) were delerious when Arsenal went to Anfield and beat Liverpool 2-0 to win the championship in 1989. United's rise coincided with Sky's increased coverage and ended 25 years of dogs abuse with that win in 1993 it was a very painful era and our Liverpudian friends were always quick to remind us how crap we were and how brilliant they were ( I remember one particular seaon in which United won their first ten games and finished 9 points behind Liverpool I think it was 1988). Also with the hype came the bandwagonners, I distinctly remember being embarrased by some of our new fans watching the 96 cup final in a pub in London not having a clue about the game, remember only 22,000 were at Old Trafford to watch Wimbledon in 1987, but hey anyone that supports a team which is not within their location is a bandwagonner, I started supporting United in 1968 when as a seven year old I was amazed by the European Cup Final win over Benfica, most of the boardsters that support overseas team will have been influenced by the dominant team at the time, other factors would be the style of play which is why I don't think Chelsea will have too many bandwagonners in the future.
    I would say most of the people that voted for Chelsea in this are Liverpool fans they dislike Man Utd and vice versa, why? Well I suppose a combination of local hatred fuelled by media, players (Bruce Grobellar, Gary Neville) and fans. I don't dislike Liverpool as much as I used to (what's to dislike?), dislike Chelsea more(could be a poll for Utd fans).

ziggy67 wrote:
    Pumping money into the game is better than taking it out don't you agree?
    Agree, but I don't think RA's billions in the long term can be good for the game don't you agree? If it wasn't for United the season would be over by Xmas like the last two years. Sean Wright-Phillips deal might have been good for City but how can other clubs pay out £21m or whatever for an unproven winger and pay them £100k a week to sit on the bench?
    Sorry for going of topic I did say I din't want to go down this road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement