Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Of Scotland Ireland SPAM nuisance

Options
  • 29-11-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Anybody else getting all this rubbish from Bank of Scotland Ireland through the post?

First of all, how did the bar stewards get my address!? I certainly didn't tell anyone they could pass it on.

And most importantly, whether it's Snail Mail or not, it's still SPAM. And SPAM is annoying. And I'm not taking it anymore.

So every time something from B.o.S.I. arrives, I take out the return "no stamp necessary" envelope, cram it full with their original letter (after all I do want them to know who I am so they know who to remove from their SPAM database), a note telling them that I will stop returning their cr*p if they stop harrassing me, and whatever else I can find, and send it back to them.

So far I have resisted the temptation to put something smelly in there, but if this doesn't stop soon, I will.

Is anybody else getting hassled by them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

rozeboosje wrote:
    So far I have resisted the temptation to put something smelly in there, but if this doesn't stop soon, I will.

That would be a terribly thoughtless act. You could send them something useful like a piece of brick or wood, about the right size for a doorstop. They might also be appreciative of other companies' spam if you were to swap the contents around the various envelopes. Sometimes it is important to wrap sellotape around and around the contents, just in case there is something important inside. And everyone has a "No Stamp Necessary" or "Freepost" at the same address as their company headquarters don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Good ideas. I shall take them on board. The next time I shall send them SPAM from their colleagues as well as a cat turd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

rozeboosje wrote:
    a cat turd.
    "A generous gift of fertilizer for your garden."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they get your name and address from the electoral register, it says this on the crap they send you, its very annoying but just put it in your green bin after you have removed your name & address from whereever it is shown

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Send it back to them so they've to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

admiralgar wrote:
    they get your name and address from the electoral register
    Some of them do. Some of them buy lists.

Only the Edited Register may be used for direct marketing, and you can have your name removed from this. See the section entitled "Electoral Register and direct marketing" on this page
    admiralgar wrote:
    just put it in your green bin after you have removed your name & address from whereever it is shown
    It would be more environmentally-friendly to complain and have it stopped. See this page for information on how to do so.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My tactic of choice is to take the freepost envelope and stuff it full of every pizza leaflet, chinese menu, political pamphlet that I can find. Make it as big and as full as possible. Make sure that your own letter in in there too so they know who it's coming from. Post back.

It's worked in the past with MBNA, who definitely got my name off the register of electors, as it shared the same (wrong) spelling of my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bank of Scotland bougth the retail/loan section of the ESB that was know as shop electric.
    If you ever had a loan from the ebs/shop electric for any appliance then they have you and your information on their customer data base from the buy out.
    Write to the and tell them you want off thier mailing list and out of their data base as you have no intrest in any of thier products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Heard a good suggestion before of wrapping up old telephone directories, attaching the freepost envelope, and sending it back so they have to pay massive postage.

Don't know if that would actually work, but putting something heavy in the envelope might cost them a bit.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Write to them

That would cost me 48 cent for a stamp! :eek: My cat craps for free.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote:
    wrapping up old telephone directories

Nice one.

Ah well. It's worth a try. This just went to IDMA:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Lately we have been receiving more and more unsollicited post from organisations such as "Bank Of Scotland (Ireland)" and "MBNA".

It was suggested to me that these organisations may have received our address details through the Electoral Register and your Mailing Preference Service.

Please remove any references to anybody living at <our address>, and specifically the following people:

<me and my wife here>

from any databases you have control over and that may be used for Direct Marketing. We consider this to be as bad as Internet SPAM and we do not wish to receive any more of this junk.

Please confirm that these entries have been removed at your earliest convenience.

We have also been receiving nuisance phone calls from organisations like Talk Talk, Eircom and Perlico trying to flog their telephony services to us. We no longer want to receive those. Please ensure that our phone number <snip> is removed from your Telephone Preference Service database immediately.

Please do not add our details to any further databases you may wish to create without our explicit consent. This includes my e-mail address. I'm getting enough SPAM as it is already, thank you very much.

Thank you

<me>:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

To get your phone number removed from cold calling etc., you need to contact your phone company - eircom, BT, Smart, etc. Ask them for a form (Customer Update form or similar) which you fill in and send back.

Your phone company then sends on your preferences to the N.D.D. (National Directory Databse) for updating.

To get your phone number removed from cold calling etc., you need to contact your phone company - eircom, BT, Smart, etc. Ask them for a form (Customer Update form or similar) which you fill in and send back.

Your phone company then sends on your preferences to the N.D.D. (National Directory Databse) for updating.

So in order to have my basic right to be left in peace respected I have to make a phone call, fill out a form and spend money on a friggin' stamp. What else? Stand on my head and scratch my b*<pfweet>*ks with my toes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well, when I went through about two months of cold calls, that was what I was advised to do. I haven't had a cold call in over a month (touch wood).

I was just letting you know the procedure.

Well, when I went through about two months of cold calls, that was what I was advised to do. I haven't had a cold call in over a month (touch wood).

I was just letting you know the procedure.

Sure - and thanks. The sarky comment was about the fact that one has to go through a procedure, not a snipe at you. ;)

Advertisement