Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg Brain Drain begins

Options
  • 29-11-2006 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hot on the heels of rumours about the DCMNR loosing whatever remaining talent it had, ComReg is about to loose Isolde.

Going to be an interesting few months for Mike Byrne.

Anybody know what the legal process for commissioner appointment is? Or indeed if there even is one?

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Fancy a pop at the title yourself John? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Funnily enough, about this time two years ago I was headhunted for a postion in ComReg by a recruitment company :D

80k plus benefits if I remember right to "interface" between ComReg and the telcos. Broke my backside laughing, told guy to go away and do some research, never heard back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Hacketry

jwt wrote:
    Anybody know what the legal process for commissioner appointment is? Or indeed if there even is one?

John

I believe interested parties submit their nominations and the Minister for Communications chooses and appoints the Commission every four years. It's probably a lot more complex than that though knowing the shady mechanics of ministerial patronage.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

if you have any degree of wit, there is only so long you can bang your head of the brick wall that is Eircom before you end up with a headache and a desire to do something else......

Until the regulatory environment is changed you would have to wonder why anyone would put up with the c**p. Even the big pay check would not compensate you for the damage to your sanity.....

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Hacketry wrote:
    I believe interested parties submit their nominations and the Minister for Communications chooses and appoints the Commission every four years.

I nominate damien.m for the top spot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Spongebob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Nice to see the Irish Times being beaten to the punch by a blogger. I'd be in agreement with Adam on his comments on JWT's blog. Best thing to do is act as a liquidator. Scrap it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Hmmm, that didn't take long....

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7444

01.12.2006 - Mike Byrne, commissioner at the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg), was this morning confirmed as chairman of the regulatory authority by Communications Minister Noel Dempsey TD.
    Minister Dempsey said that like his predecessor Byrne “will face many challenges in this fast-moving and dynamic sector” :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 enno

jwt wrote:

Last time they had a vacancy for a commissioner, they put an ad in the newspapers -- no mystery.

And only respondents to the ad are eligble?
    Internal promotions get preference?
    A defined interview process exists?
    who interviews?
    who makes the final call?
    Jobs for the boys/girls or fair and impartial ?

I've seen many a job posted in papers where the job is already allocated.

Still be nice to know the legal requirements. There are legal requirements aren't there?

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Dempsey takes the glory when appointing a new commissioner yet says they have nothing to do with him when the poodle messes up. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jwt wrote:

I've seen many a job posted in papers where the job is already allocated.

Still be nice to know the legal requirements. There are legal requirements aren't there?

John

Many companies/organisations choose internal applicants but are still required to advertise it. No surprise that they might prefer someone who knows their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

damien.m wrote:
    Dempsey takes the glory when appointing a new commissioner yet says they have nothing to do with him when the poodle messes up. Funny that.

That's politics for ye :rolleyes:

is_that_so wrote:
    Many companies/organisations choose internal applicants but are still required to advertise it. No surprise that they might prefer someone who knows their business.

No problems with that in principle. It's the transparency of the process and the critical bit, "someone who knows their business", that I'm querying.

What happens when they advertise the position, suitable, qualified and experienced applicants apply but Tim NiceButDim gets the postion because of who he knows.

I appreciate it's a fact of life, and ComReg are no different to any other company or department for this. But they are a public body so surely should be held to a higher standard and have a transparent policy in place?

John

Advertisement