Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

why is it that when someone crashes inta the back of you that they are at fault but t

Options
  • 29-11-2006 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

i recently was hit from behind by someone. i was left with many options here...
    i could chose ta go through his insurance
    i could get it fixed and he could pay me
    he has offered to fix it...
    now no matter what way it is done the car has decreased in value and it will never be the same again when it is fixed i will try and sell it but i may only get half the value for it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

thats a great story - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

interesting thanks for sharing
    btw any point to the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Trampas

The reason is that you should be far enough back from the car infront to stop in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If the damage caused has halved the value of your car it must be pretty serious (or your car is a $hitter /joke).

In such an instance I would go through insurance as if there is serious depreciation, it should be covered in your claim.

Remember, if the other guy was in the wrong, it won't affect your no-claims and you won't be out of pocket for the repairs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ewlit wrote:
    i was left with many options here...
    They seem like fair options to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

make them go throngh their insurance... get the car fixed by a proffessional and nobody will ever nitice the crash happened.. and you will loose no value to the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ewlit

i wasn't movin at the time and he crashed inta the back of me....
    insurance is not an option as he does not have insurance in ireland so it could take months ta come through....
    the car was estimated at 2500 - 3000 ta fix it was bought for 2000
    93 corolla by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Am I missing something here or does that not make it a commercial right off.

If I was the other driver I'd inform my insurance company that I was willing to pay replacement price for the car or equal/equivalent repair costs.

In your situation if he's legally insured by an insurer outside the country then your claim should take no longer to process than any other claim. Ie get quotes from a garage/s, send them to the insurer, get authority for the work from them, get the garage to invoice the insurer, end of. The key point being legally of course. Your also allowed to include expenses in your insurance claim ie taxis backwards and forwards to work or hire car costs so its in the insurers best interests to sort it out reasonably quickly.

lad it ain't as easy as that cause its polish insurance!!! anyways his friend has offered ta fix it and he is a mechanic i've handed over the keys and am hopin for the best..

ewlit wrote:
    lad it ain't as easy as that cause its polish insurance!!! anyways his friend has offered ta fix it and he is a mechanic i've handed over the keys and am hopin for the best..

You are letting him fix it. Thats the worse thing you can do as how do you know he will do a good job.

You should have let your insurance company sort it out.

If you have full comp they will pay for it to get it fix and they will get the money of his insurance company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

ewlit wrote:
    his friend has offered ta fix it and he is a mechanic i've handed over the keys and am hopin for the best..

you're joking .....right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ewlit wrote:
    :eek::eek::eek:

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I would have insisted on one of the following

A) do it by the book, i.e. it goes through the insurance etc...

B) it gets repaired by someone you suggest
    (i.e. not his mate)

C) he buys it off you at the pre crash replacement value
    (then his mate can fix it and they sell it or whatever)

Option C is good if you'd be glad to see the back of it
    B if you want to keep it and know a trustworthy repairer
    otherwise A minimises your chances of getting messed around / losing value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

:eek:

Anyone want to buy a cut & shut 93 Corolla? I know a dodgy Polish guy with one, keys too, he'll send the logbook on in the post, honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bit silly giving away the keys, but 2500 to 3000 to fix a E2000 car is silly as well. Did you get any type of receipt or anything saying that they are only fixing the car? When you go to collect it what to stop them saying they never seen you before?

You should have asked for the pre crash value of the car and left it at that. Then get the car fixed up yourself on the cheap and drive it till it drops, or sell the car to a scrap yard and buy another E2000 car and drive that till it drops.

its not as bad as it seems they work for a main dealer in town so thats where it is bein fixd like its safe nuff I KNOW WHERE THEY LIVE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

ewlit wrote:
    its not as bad as it seems they work for a main dealer in town so thats where it is bein fixd like its safe nuff I KNOW WHERE THEY LIVE
    You know where they live today, and where they work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hmmm.....
    Another weird thread by a relatively new user on this forum....
    Yesterday it was the guy caught for speeding who didnt know how fast he was going, today its the "I amnt sure where I stand with insurance, so I gave the guy my car"......

The two topics, in my opinion are attempts at trolling.....
    OP, if I am incorrect I apologise.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

anyways his friend has offered ta fix it

"Carlsberg don't do people to crash into .... but if we did we'd probably be the best people in the world to crash into"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Comedy post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

kippy wrote:
    Hmmm.....
    Another weird thread by a relatively new user on this forum....

Kippy
    I'm glad you consider everyone here a step above those who don't usually post here.
    Meanwhile, back here in the real world....

In fairness, it doesn't appear as bad as some people will mock.
    The car ain't worth much, he was rear ended - not split in 2 for a cut and shut and though far from ideal dealing with foreign drivers, unless the guy is willing to flee the country for it - he should be okay for collecting on this.

My advice is ignore all these self important know it alls and don't be bothered asking any advice here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm glad you consider everyone here a step above those who don't usually post here.
    Meanwhile, back here in the real world....

In fairness, it doesn't appear as bad as some people will mock.
    The car ain't worth much, he was rear ended - not split in 2 for a cut and shut and though far from ideal dealing with foreign drivers, unless the guy is willing to flee the country for it - he should be okay for collecting on this.

My advice is ignore all these self important know it alls and don't be bothered asking any advice here again.
    Sorry to have come across all wrong,
    I amnt saying that people who have more posts are a step above others. I am pointing out that a relatively new user to the forum comes along an posts a suspicious topic-you have got to agree some of the things the OP has said are somewhat controversial and not the norm for the situation he has allegedly found himself in. I am making an observation about the post based on the evidence I see before me.
    Post count, while not being much of a reflection on anything is a history of you on boards, if you have a lot of posts which make sense then go along and post something like this, I would be more likely to believe you. However it appears to me that the OP just joined to post this controversial post.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Do you have any pics of the damage that you could upload ? Interested to see the extent of the damage

franksm wrote:
    Do you have any pics of the damage that you could upload ? Interested to see the extent of the damage

i do of course but i'm not puttin pics of my car up on the net sorry lad!!!

its not a contrivertial story .... it actually did happen i think the point being made about the man leavin the country its not going ta happen why would 2 people want ta give up there jobs, leave the place they live and go back home to there country where they were un happy???? i think i'm safe nuff

How will you know that your car is fixed properly??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Trampas wrote:
    How will you know that your car is fixed properly??
    the fella will tell him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This is way too funny ro be true.

Polish guy; 3000?? Sure i'll just get my mate to fix it

op; eh ok.... will i give you my atm card and pin number, just in case you need petrol on the way

aren't ye all funny would you be willing ta wait 3 months ta get back on the road waitin for his insurance ta come through???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

ewlit wrote:
    aren't ye all funny would you be willing ta wait 3 months ta get back on the road waitin for his insurance ta come through???

I'd rather wait three months than give my car to some bloke so he can do the job as cheap as possible. I just hope it's not me driving behind you when your bumper falls off

Advertisement