Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the sight of a smoker offensive, Bad people ?

• 29-11-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I know there is another tread going but.....

Something that happened the other day that shocked me...

Was having a smoke with a mate outside the back door of work one morning, Its a designated area for it.

Wind blowing a hooley, about to Rain..

another employee gets out of her car and approaches the Door ( We are about 1.5m from it.

and said 'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    I said Ya we do..
    She replied ' Well its not very nice for us non smokers'

Now I dont think Passive smoking could be an issue here with the wind... If im offended by something i stay away from it.

Or is it just a case of, If you give someone a stick they are going to beat something with it...

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

I think ye should all go around with fish bowls on ye're heads when smoking. But then where would ye keep fish while smoking? An aquarium is an option, albeit one outside the price range of most, especially those without adequate sitting room space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Obviously yer wan got out of the wrong side of the bed!!
    You werent standing in her way so what was her problem??? witch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

would like to suggest using her head as an ashtray but thats not very nice.

TBH .....NAH CAN'T SAY THAT EITHER.

Maybe suggest she park some where else for a change, may be in Chernobyl.!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The whole idea of a smoking place is so smokers can smoke with out pissing off non smokers.

In my office the smoking area used to be under my window so people would smoke and I would get the left overs.

Said it a few times but nothing was done with it. Now no one smokes in the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Why can we all just get along :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Well I'm a non smoker and I have to say it does bother me if smoke is blowing back in the door when someones smoking outside... I don't see the point of standing in the doorway when the wind is clearly blowing it back it, it kind of defeats the purpose.. Why not just walk a few feet away from the door? It also p1sses me off when I see people approaching the bus or Luas with a mouthful of smoke and then blow it into the clean* air when they get on.. Selfish IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

xzanti wrote:
    It also p1sses me off when I see people approaching the bus or Luas with a mouthful of smoke and then blow it into the clean* air when they get on.. Selfish IMO

Maybe people who like garlic or don't brush their teeth properly in the mornings should just walk everywhere.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    'Oh, does it bother you?'
    'Yeah, it's not really nice for us non-smokers, is it?'
    'Never realised' *walks a few feet away from the door*
    'Thanks a bunch'
    'No problem'
    'Well see ya anyway'
    'Bye'

And lo, all is well. I'm a non-smoker but I can't see why she had issue with it. But still, I can't see why you just couldn't have humoured her. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A bunch of people loitering around by the entrance always looks bad. It doesn't matter what they're doing.

More places should provide a smoking shack.

xzanti wrote:
    Well I'm a non smoker and I have to say it does bother me if smoke is blowing back in the door when someones smoking outside... I don't see the point of standing in the doorway when the wind is clearly blowing it back it, it kind of defeats the purpose..

We werent standing in front of the door, It wasnt blowing back in, Its a cigg, not a Red flare
    xzanti wrote:
    Why not just walk a few feet away from the door?

Now what would your guidelines be, 10meters, 100meters, Difficult is some workplaces, the further away you get from one door the closer you get to another
    xzanti wrote:
    It also p1sses me off when I see people approaching the bus or Luas with a mouthful of smoke and then blow it into the clean* air when they get on.. Selfish IMO

Wow, and what traffic belches out is so much healtier, 6 and 1/half a Dozen of...
    xzanti wrote:
    Selfish IMO

Id say there is no pleasing some people only i dont want to offend anyone that might have had a Tragedy in their family do to smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

xzanti wrote:
    Why not just walk a few feet away from the door?

Ah come on now xzanti, first we're made go outside and now you want us to go away from the building altogether in case a bit of smoke *might* blow in the door?

Not a chance. I suppose we should be made wear special clothing too incase we come back in with the smell of smoke on our clothing?

I do intend on quitting (and am in the process of) but when I eventually do, I pray I don't get the attitude of you non-smokers. Or worse, the attitude of a non-smoker who used to smoke (we all know the type). Generally they're absolute spastics about smoking.

• How can you not even see how it's annoying to non smokers? You walk out of the door and get a face full of smoke. It is selfish, TBH to inflict your smoke on everyone else just because you don't want to stand further away from the doors. It's your problem if you want to smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to get in and out of the building without getting a cloud of smoke in their face. People have every right to complain, IMO, while they are being forced to breathe in your smoke. I have sinus problems and have a headache and runny nose for about an hour if I breathe in cigarette smoke, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?

Why can't I then stand right next to the door with a water pistol and spray it in your face? You're inflicting your smoke on me, so why can't I inflict my water on you? You wouldn't be annoyed then if I did that, since we all apparently have the right to do whatever we want, without any thought to anyone else? And at least a bit of water won't give you a headache or bring on an asthma attack or make your clothes stink. I can't fathom how anyone can't see how selfish it is to bother other people when it is easy enough not to. I have friends who smoke, my dad smokes and they're all considerate and do it outside, well away from the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hahahaha. This thread makes me laugh. Brings back memories.

Was at a wedding once. There was this woman there who didnt know many people except for the Bride and Groom. So she latched onto our gang. No worries there. Anyways, we went out for a smoke, she knew where we were going. We lit up and next thing she is complaining that everyone is smoking outside and it is blowing on her!!! Ahahahaha.

Well, we promptly rang Evlyn O Rourke down the Met office to see what way the wind would blow next.

She wasnt long getting the boot.

My point is, there are somethings out of a smokers control. We cant predict the wind or when someone is walking past us. We are legally allowed to smoke outside, so tough t*tty.

I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?

Ahem, last time I checked 5 ft is a 1m1/2

You would really have to see where this smoking area is, Dont know why Honest Clean living Stalwarts of society would use this door...

I wonder if the moon was chosen, would we then have to walk around to the dark side of it
    Why can't I then stand right next to the door with a water pistol and spray it in your face? You're inflicting your smoke on me, so why can't I inflict my water on you? You wouldn't be annoyed then if I did that, since we all apparently have the right to do whatever we want, without any thought to anyone else? And at least a bit of water won't give you a headache or bring on an asthma attack or make your clothes stink. I can't fathom how anyone can't see how selfish it is to bother other people when it is easy enough not to. I have friends who smoke, my dad smokes and they're all considerate and do it outside, well away from the house.

I get wet enough when it rains during a smoing break...

But if its water pistols you want , Im all for you right to have a designated area, More power to you, ill just use a different door...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

It can be annoying when you're trying to enter or leave a place and there are throngs of people puffing away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I was in New York/Chicago this summer and I noticed a lot of the entrances to buildings had signs stating it was forbidden to smoke within so many feet of the door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Budd wrote:
    It can be annoying when you're trying to enter or leave a place and there are throngs of people puffing away.

I'm a smoker, I can see your point. But there's a difference between being confronted with a physical cloud of smoke, which would clearly be offensive/unhealthy, and a mere smell of smoke which has been dissipated by the wind. I can't get why people get all hot and bothered about the latter...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

How can you not even see how it's annoying to non smokers? You walk out of the door and get a face full of smoke. It is selfish, TBH to inflict your smoke on everyone else just because you don't want to stand further away from the doors. It's your problem if you want to smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to get in and out of the building without getting a cloud of smoke in their face. People have every right to complain, IMO, while they are being forced to breathe in your smoke. I have sinus problems and have a headache and runny nose for about an hour if I breathe in cigarette smoke, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?

Well said

How can you not even see how it's annoying to non smokers? You walk out of the door and get a face full of smoke. It is selfish, TBH to inflict your smoke on everyone else just because you don't want to stand further away from the doors. It's your problem if you want to smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to get in and out of the building without getting a cloud of smoke in their face. People have every right to complain, IMO, while they are being forced to breathe in your smoke. I have sinus problems and have a headache and runny nose for about an hour if I breathe in cigarette smoke, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?

Wow, talk about whinging.

Do you whinge as much when you're walking along a road and you get a face full of car exhaust fumes? Or do you think car drivers should be made drive somewhere theres no chance they can inflict their fumes in others faces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yes. That is enforced where I work - 1 1/2 meters from the door. And smokers do do this (if anyone didnt, they would be shoo'ed away - "shooo evil smoker shooo". The non-smokers still complain though.

We just cant win. Smokers will always be seen as evil people out to pollute other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

[AH response]
    Employers should not put smoking zones near a door tbh. I remember when I worked in London, I'd get off the train in Liverpool Street and as soon as I hit the street, hundreds of smoke-starved addicts would light up and the stench of the foul odour and cancer in the air was terrible* :D

The contents of a garlic smell does not cause cancer, the contents of a cigarette smell do. End of story really. At the end of the day the employer should force you to move elsewhere with your dirty seedy habit ;) but since they are not forcing you I would consider it mannerly and courteous if smokers didn't hang around doors that non-smokers have to pass through.

Perhaps there should be nice shiny, bright entrances for non-smokers and low-lit, dirty entrance orifices at the back of buildings for smokers :D
    [/AH response]

[real response]
    Seriously, just because you're outdoors and the wind is blowing in a certain direction does not mean the smoke is not carried back towards someone else, wind does not just travel in one direction only, it swirls and rolls back on itself etc. as well, so it could well blow in someones face. It really would be corteous to consider others rather than smoke near doorways.
    [/real response]
    *I don't like smoking (as if you can't tell) but I'm only joking, no need for anger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

have sinus problems and have a headache and runny nose for about an hour if I breathe in cigarette smoke, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from the door and not blow smoke in my face?
    ConnecticutKyle.jpg
    Thee aiiir is so dryy up heeere

r3nu4l wrote:
    Seriously, just because you're outdoors and the wind is blowing in a certain direction does not mean the smoke is not carried back towards someone else, wind does not just travel in one direction only, it swirls and rolls back on itself etc. as well, so it could well blow in someones face. It really would be corteous to consider others rather than smoke near doorways.
    [/SIZE]

I really would like to see some hard facts that prove outdoor 'passive' smoking is harmfull to others, and when I say passive I mean a stranger that walks by you...

Honestly I dont know, but would accept proof...

I just think that people believe what they comfortable believing in, or just lazy to find out.

And

intolerance is worse than passive smoking ( I know this can be twisted back on me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

She should have added please don't come and stand at my desk for any reason when you come back in. More than likely, a rotten smell will cling to you that will make me want to puke. I don't come in stinking of sh*t or B.O so don't stand over my desk when you smell like a rancid ashtray. In a nice way, of course. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

delop wrote:
    I know there is another tread going but.....

Something that happened the other day that shocked me...

Was having a smoke with a mate outside the back door of work one morning, Its a designated area for it.

Wind blowing a hooley, about to Rain..

another employee gets out of her car and approaches the Door ( We are about 1.5m from it.

and said 'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    I said Ya we do..
    She replied ' Well its not very nice for us non smokers'

Now I dont think Passive smoking could be an issue here with the wind... If im offended by something i stay away from it.

Or is it just a case of, If you give someone a stick they are going to beat something with it...

What do people think?

as a smoker i think smoking in or just outside doorways should be banned aswell, you should have asked if you could sit in her car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

delop wrote:
    I really would like to see some hard facts that prove outdoor 'passive' smoking is harmfull to others, and when I say passive I mean a stranger that walks by you...

Honestly I dont know, but would accept proof...

I just think that people believe what they comfortable believing in, or just lazy to find out.

And

intolerance is worse than passive smoking ( I know this can be twisted back on me)

Passive smoking is passive smoking, once the noxious chemicals are inhaled, they are in your system. End of story. The effects of passive smoking as with regular smoking is the build up over time so passively smoking outdoors is the same as indoors although if you are outdoors you will hopefully inhale less.

Build up of toxins and carcinogens in the body causes triggers within cells that lead to mutations in DNA replication, resulting in uncontrolled cell differentiation through switching off a process known as apoptosis (programmed cell death). The more of these toxins you inhale, indoors or outdoors, the greater risk of this occuring, especially in those whose genetic make-up makes them more susceptible to these types of cancers.

Intolerance is worse than smoking in the sense of being 'ignorant' but intolerance does not cause cancer! I personally have no problem with smokers smoking anywhere the law says they can...so long as it doesn't affect me!

e.g. I have no problem with someone getting hammered drunk going home quietly, I do have a problem when they run up and down the street shouting and screaming like madmen at 4 in the morning... because it affects me!

I have no problem with someone smoking in the street, I do have a problem when I start to inhale their residue! If I can move away from them I do...but if I'm forced to pass through their smoke because I have to get in the door they are crowded around then that it them being ignorant, not me.

Proof
    personal nicotine badge monitors, the overall median 7-day nicotine concentration was 0.03 microg/m(3) (25th-75th interquartile range 0-3.69 microg/m(3)). Measured nicotine concentrations were highest among persons who reported home exposure (median 0.61 microg/m(3)), followed by work exposure (0.03 microg/m(3)), other (outdoor) exposure (0.025 microg/m(3)), and no exposure (0 microg/m(3); p = 0.03).

Now as you can see, outdoor exposure is small...but present...therefore people are inhaling your smoke onthe street and getting it into their lungs to add to the build up and contribute to the triggering of mutations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Isnt there a required distance you have to be from a building when smoking?
    I know the college has a red line 10 feet from the main door which all smokers have to be accross to smoke. Even though they still smoke beside the main door thats not the point im trying to make :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

stovelid wrote:
    I don't come in stinking of sh*t or B.O so don't stand over my desk when you smell like a rancid ashtray.

And if you did, the other person probably wouldn't say anything to your face.
    People seem to find it very easy to give out to smokers for some reason.

How can you not even see how it's annoying to smokers? You walk out of the door because you've been outcast from the building. It is selfish, TBH to moan further when we are outside, just because you don't want to smell, for one second, the horror of smoke. It's your problem if you don't like smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to enjoy something they legally can.
    People have every right to smoke, IMO, while they are being forced to listen to your whinging. I have no jacket and get a runny nose for about a week if i have to stand outside in the rain, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from me and not get your face in the way of my smoke?
    Stop whining, you got us out of buildings now you want a restraining order put on us? Learn to compromise
    oRlyYaRly wrote:
    'Lads do ye have so stand so close to the door when youre smoking'
    'Oh, does it bother you?'
    'Yeah, it's not really nice for us non-smokers, is it?'
    'Never realised' *walks a few feet away from the door*
    'Thanks a bunch'
    'No problem'
    'Well see ya anyway'
    'Bye'

And lo, all is well.

'Morning, lads'
    'Morning, lady'

And lo, all is well.

On a side note, I heard a funny smoking story. (not sure if it's true)
    Apparently Michael Jordan was at the most recent Ryder Cup smoking a cigar, a security person or something came up to him and said he had to put it out, to which he replied, 'Nah it's alright I'll just pay the fine'.

If you don't like people smoking outside your front door at work/college/etc then campaign to have smoking sheds erected. We're being made stand out in the cold, the rain, the snow etc. as it is, doorways provide some form of shelter from the wind/rain/etc.
    Or perhaps a group of you non-smokers can get together and build a little shed for the smokers. That would be nice of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

15 meters from the nearest door, was what it was in the last place I worked. But at that 15 meter line they put up a little smoking shed thing.

SumGuy wrote:
    And if you did, the other person probably wouldn't say anything to your face.
    People seem to find it very easy to give out to smokers for some reason.

How can you not even see how it's annoying to smokers? You walk out of the door because you've been outcast from the building. It is selfish, TBH to moan further when we are outside, just because you don't want to smell, for one second, the horror of smoke. It's your problem if you don't like smoke, not everyone else's who is just trying to enjoy something they legally can.
    People have every right to smoke, IMO, while they are being forced to listen to your whinging. I have no jacket and get a runny nose for about a week if i have to stand outside in the rain, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from me and not get your face in the way of my smoke?
    Stop whining, you got us out of buildings now you want a restraining order put on us? Learn to compromise

'Morning, lads'
    'Morning, lady'

And lo, all is well.

On a side note, I heard a funny smoking story. (not sure if it's true)
    Apparently Michael Jordan was at the most recent Ryder Cup smoking a cigar, a security person or something came up to him and said he had to put it out, to which he replied, 'Nah it's alright I'll just pay the fine'.
    Well said SumGuy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dragan wrote:
    Whos that directed at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If 80% of the population smoked, we wouldn't kick the rest of you outside!

or else we could introduce the 'Whinging Ban':)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

rb_ie wrote:
    Whos that directed at?

Pretty much everyone? :D It was a relatively arbitrary decision on my behalf that

a) "anti smokers" need to settle down about things. Smokers just like smoking. But i'm sure having a moan about it on boards will change the world. :)
    b) Smokers need to realise that there will always be anti-smokers and stop getting stressed over said fact? :D

As already stated, can't we all just get along?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's funny. A few years ago I didn't give a crap about where someone smoked as long as I didn't have to sit in a giant cloud of it. These days I my opinion drifts more and more towards banning the things but not for health reasons. I just got sick of listening to non-smokers bitching about tiny wisps of smoke invading their 'clean' air and worse again the relatively new phenomenon of smokers bemoaning their assumption that they have become the most oppressed people since the holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

you poor poor thing

• People have every right to smoke, IMO, while they are being forced to listen to your whinging. I have no jacket and get a runny nose for about a week if i have to stand outside in the rain, why should I put up with that when you could move five feet away from me and not get your face in the way of my smoke?

Not having a jacket is YOUR choice. Smoking is YOUR choice. There is nothing I can do about someone blowing smoke in my face. The last place I worked there were smokers congregating outside every door so there was no option but to walk through clouds of smoke. You have a choice about where to smoke, whether to wear a jacket. I find it absolutely comical how people just don't get it. It's utterly selfish, and disagree if you want, but it is. Like someone said, I have no problem at all with people doing whatever they want, as long as it doesn't affect me. What gives you the right to inflict your habits on other people, directly? Wouldn't you be annoyed if I got drunk one night, came outside and puked all over you? My drinking is none of your business, but my puking on you made it your business. Why is smoking different? I know lots of people who are considerate smokers, it's not that difficult to make a tiny bit of effort not to be ignorant and selfish. And then to moan at people 'whinging' about it - put up with it ffs if you're not prepared to be considerate. It just comes off as highly immature to write off the fact that people are genuinely bothered by smoke and call them whingers for complaining about something that's really annoying. We're supposed to put up with clouds of smoke in the face and possible resulting headaches/runny nose/breathing problems but you can't take a few complaints? Grow up, tbh.

Not having a jacket is YOUR choice. Smoking is YOUR choice. There is nothing I can do about someone blowing smoke in my face. The last place I worked there were smokers congregating outside every door so there was no option but to walk through clouds of smoke. You have a choice about where to smoke, whether to wear a jacket. I find it absolutely comical how people just don't get it. It's utterly selfish, and disagree if you want, but it is. Like someone said, I have no problem at all with people doing whatever they want, as long as it doesn't affect me. What gives you the right to inflict your habits on other people, directly? Wouldn't you be annoyed if I got drunk one night, came outside and puked all over you? My drinking is none of your business, but my puking on you made it your business. Why is smoking different? I know lots of people who are considerate smokers, it's not that difficult to make a tiny bit of effort not to be ignorant and selfish. And then to moan at people 'whinging' about it - put up with it ffs if you're not prepared to be considerate. It just comes off as highly immature to write off the fact that people are genuinely bothered by smoke and call them whingers for complaining about something that's really annoying. We're supposed to put up with clouds of smoke in the face and possible resulting headaches/runny nose/breathing problems but you can't take a few complaints? Grow up, tbh.

Its our legal right to smoke, but yet we've been forced outdoors to let you non-smokers have clean air inside and now you're complaining about us outside?
    You're extremely self-centered to believe such a thing.

"Considerate smokers" i.e "get out of the way when they see a non-smoker coming so they don't get a little whiff of their smoke", trying to turn smokers into second class citizens or something all of a sudden. Considerate smokers are those that smoke outside and put their cigarette butt in the ashtray provided. Any other demands are completely selfish on you, the non-smokers part.

If you know you get runny noses from smoke, I'd suggest bringing a handkerchief or a little box of tissues. It is not our problem that you suffer from a runny nose.

I'd also suggest that you take your own advice and grow up. The world does not revolve around you and you can't have everything your own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

so why can't I inflict my water on you?
    this may not be the time or place but WTF
    as long as the lads weren't in the doorway, and they weren't then she's just moaning for the sake of it. can't please everyone all the time, or some people any of the time.
    now the gangs that stand outside the door of Tallaght hospital puffing away are a real pain in the ass (considering there's a covered wooden gazebo out in the grass for them, seats and all), but you just hold your breath for 5 seconds and your through

• Advertisement

• "Considerate smokers" i.e "get out of the way when they see a non-smoker coming so they don't get a little whiff of their smoke", trying to turn smokers into second class citizens or something all of a sudden.

But it's alright for smokers to expect ME to move out of the way like a second class citizen so I don't have to breathe in their smoke?? Not to mention the fact that it is impossible to move out of the way when there's a huge group of smokers congregating outside an entrance?

I think YOU'RE the one who wants everything your way. I'm not saying you don't have a right to smoke, but have you ever heard the saying 'your rights end where the rights of others begin'? It's your right to smoke, but it's my right to be able to walk in and out of a building without getting a face full of smoke from all directions. It's your responsibility to try not to annoy other people with your habit, since you're the one who's choosing to smoke. Just like if you liked playing loud music - yes you have a right to play music, but your next door neighbour has the right to peace and quiet, so you should keep it at a reasonable level instead of inflicting your music on them. Or do you think that's unreasonable as well? :rolleyes:

The OP just reeks of immaturity to me. The woman in question was evidently bothered by the smoke or she wouldn't have said anything. The reaction was like a spoiled 13 year old 'ugh, she had the NERVE to say something to me!' and then comes on here trying to validate his lack of consideration. He gave no indication that the woman was rude, and that he couldn't have just said 'yeah sorry, didn't realise' and moved a few feet away. Would that have been so difficult? Not to mention the title, what an overreaction. Trying to imply people are so sensitive they can't stand the sight of a smoker, when really all they are objecting to is getting smoke blown in their face. I don't see where anyone has said they are bad people either. Just trying to justify inconsiderate behaviour by acting like other people have the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Not going to moan, as most seem to t hink is happening. Im a non smoker, but lived with smokers all my life as my family smokes. I hate the stuff with a passion! I really do! But its the persons choice to smoke, but i have had incidents when was workin in the aiport that every door would be packed full of smokers..and ive literally had them blow it in my face as i walked past and i wanted to crack them one, instead, may sound vulgar, but i stopped looked at them for doing this and would walk to a bin and spit or stop and start coughing in front of them, giving them dirty looks. Not a nice thing to do i admit, but day in day out, every time walking out the door it happens. Ive seen people light up in buildings where they think they cant be seen and in toilets and im promptly thrown them out.

While majority of people who smoke outside do so with consideration for non smokers, there is that small percentage who dont and thats who i think gets the so called , anti smoking nazi's going. The point to remember is there is a limit as to what is acceptable. Smoking at doorways i have no problem with, as im sure many non smokers dont mind, but its the blowing of smoke INTO your face thats the annoying thing. So take into consideration its both sides that moan (well a small percentage). Now..can we all just get along:p (notice i said i hate the stuff, not the smokers..its an addiction like alot of things, so not as easy to give up as can be imagined)

But it's alright for smokers to expect ME to move out of the way like a second class citizen so I don't have to breathe in their smoke?? Not to mention the fact that it is impossible to move out of the way when there's a huge group of smokers congregating outside an entrance?
    Its not like anyone is standing directly infront of the entrance prohibiting easy access, stop over exaggerating everything.

I think YOU'RE the one who wants everything your way.

Says the person who not only wants smokers to smoke outside, but they want them to move well out of distance when she/he approaches an entrance so that she/he can avoid a runny nose.
    We already go outside to enjoy something that we have perfect legal right to do so, we sit out there in the cold, rain, wind etc. so you can enjoy clean air inside, we stand in doorways so we are sheltered from the weather somewhat and thats not good enough for you? Well excuse me princess, let me lay down on this puddle for you so you can avoid dirtying your shoes :rolleyes:
    I'm not saying you don't have a right to smoke, but have you ever heard the saying 'your rights end where the rights of others begin'? It's your right to smoke, but it's my right to be able to walk in and out of a building without getting a face full of smoke from all directions. It's your responsibility to try not to annoy other people with your habit, since you're the one who's choosing to smoke. Just like if you liked playing loud music - yes you have a right to play music, but your next door neighbour has the right to peace and quiet, so you should keep it at a reasonable level instead of inflicting your music on them. Or do you think that's unreasonable as well? :rolleyes:
    The woman in question was evidently bothered by the smoke or she wouldn't have said anything. The reaction was like a spoiled 13 year old 'ugh, she had the NERVE to say something to me!' and then comes on here trying to validate his lack of consideration.

If she has such a problem with it, let her build a smoking room/shed or buy the two of them nice jackets. They were being considerate enough as it was.
    He gave no indication that the woman was rude, and that he couldn't have just said 'yeah sorry, didn't realise' and moved a few feet away. Would that have been so difficult?

Erm, why the hell should he have to apologise? He did absolutely nothing wrong. Or are we back to your "smokers are second class/beneath us" little attitude? The law states they can't enjoy their perfectly legal habit in work, they stood outside to both abide by the laws and to ensure the air remained smoke free in the building and they've to apologise for that?
    Tbh, if someone came up and complained to me about smoking outside I'd tell them where to go pretty damn quickly.
    Not to mention the title, what an overreaction. Trying to imply people are so sensitive they can't stand the sight of a smoker, when really all they are objecting to is getting smoke blown in their face. I don't see where anyone has said they are bad people either. Just trying to justify inconsiderate behaviour by acting like other people have the problem.

Your entire attitude towards smoking/smokers implies that they're (we're, not for too much longer though) beneath you, utterly condescending and not to mention completely self-centered.
    You can't have everything your own way Izzy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Was in an American football stadium that was the site of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. It's open to the sky. They do not allow smoking in this open air stadium. This seems to be a trend in public places where crowds sit. Nonsmokers do not want to enhale the slightest amount of secondary smoke, even if but a trace.

• I'm not the one putting words in peoples' mouths. I have stated that I have many friends who smoke, my dad smokes. I have no problem with smokers, I have a problem with people who inflict their habits on others. That goes for smokers, that goes for violent drunks, people who play their music really loud, any type of antisocial behaviour. I think you are being more condescending by criticizing those who dare to object to having clouds of smoke blown in their face and calling them whingers.
    Erm, why the hell should he have to apologise? He did absolutely nothing wrong

I apologise all the time when I have annoyed someone, whether it was intentional or not. Do you only ever say sorry when you've done something seriously wrong? Someone asked me to talk more quietly on the bus the other day - I wasn't doing anything 'wrong' by talking but it was bothering that person, so I said sorry and talked more quietly. Not to do so would be rude and ignorant, imo.
    Its not like anyone is standing directly infront of the entrance prohibiting easy access, stop over exaggerating everything.

You must live under a rock, because this is exactly what happens on a daily basis and that's what I have a problem with. It's annoying enough when people huddle together so nobody can get past, without the added irritation of blowing smoke in your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

***SMOKING CAUSES CANCER***

I don't care so much about the smell of smoke/smokers as I do about living to a ripe old age and not dying in agony. I've lost 2 relatives to lung cancer, both chain smokers, smoked to their death bed, and its given me an extreme abhorrance to smoking.

If people wish to smoke, by all means do so, i'll be the first to hand you a darwinian award. But I don't expect you to exhale it all over me. It would be a cold day in hell that a smoker would turn around and exhale their lungs full of smoke onto a baby in a crib yet they feel its alright to do so as people try to enter/exit a building/bus.

Just as much as i'd lose the rag with someone "accidentally" blowing asbestos into my face, i'm going to lose the rag with someone blowing cigarette smoke at me. I've seen what the end looks like for a smoker, and nobody has the right to inflict that on anybody else. The decent thing for a smoker to do, is stay well clear of ANYWHERE where non-smokers are going to be. If there is nowhere, then wait to smoke later, if you CAN'T, then cigarettes control you not you them. If so, then there is no point talking to any smokers, as they clearly aren't the ones making the decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

L31mr0d wrote:
    ***SMOKING CAUSES CANCER***

I don't care so much about the smell of smoke/smokers as I do about living to a ripe old age and not dying in agony. I've lost 2 relatives to lung cancer, both chain smokers, smoked to their death bed, and its given me an extreme abhorrance to smoking.

If people wish to smoke, by all means do so, i'll be the first to hand you a darwinian award. But I don't expect you to exhale it all over me. It would be a cold day in hell that a smoker would turn around and exhale their lungs full of smoke onto a baby in a crib yet they feel its alright to do so as people try to enter/exit a building/bus.

Just as much as i'd lose the rag with someone "accidentally" blowing asbestos into my face, i'm going to lose the rag with someone blowing cigarette smoke at me. I've seen what the end looks like for a smoker, and nobody has the right to inflict that on anybody else. The decent thing for a smoker to do, is stay well clear of ANYWHERE where non-smokers are going to be. If there is nowhere, then wait to smoke later, if you CAN'T, then cigarettes control you not you them. If so, then there is no point talking to any smokers, as they clearly aren't the ones making the decisions.

In fairness, walking past someone as smoke is coming from their mouth is not going to give you cancer unless you make the effort to catch every bit of the smoke in your lungs.

But I agree with Hadassah Agreeable Test for the most part here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

DaveMcG wrote:
    In fairness, walking past someone as smoke is coming from their mouth is not going to give you cancer unless you make the effort to catch every bit of the smoke in your lungs.

But I agree with Hadassah Agreeable Test for the most part here.

Would you swallow a teaspoon of asbestos, even though the chances are it won't give you cancer? Why should I have to take that risk when going about my day. They BANNED the use of asbestos in buildings because it MIGHT cause you cancer. They need to BAN people from smoking anywhere near non-smokers for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

even more annoying than this i always find is that these "ridgid anti smokers" who are continually "lookin out for your health" and offended that someone would be as stupid as to smoke at all never mind in a mile radius of them, are the very first person to come scamperin up to you in the horrors with "can i bum a fag?!"

"no piss off this is my exclusive lung cancer thankyou very much!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

DonJose wrote:
    I was in New York/Chicago this summer and I noticed a lot of the entrances to buildings had signs stating it was forbidden to smoke within so many feet of the door...

The way it should be in my opinion. No problem with smokers, but if you're going out for a smoke it wouldn't kill you to move a few little yards away from the door where everyone has to pass through.

It's obviously nothing to do with legalities, it's just common courtesy and keeps everyone happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement