Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalworkers??

Options
  • 29-11-2006 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for someone who does a bit of metalwork, as there is no specific 'metalwork' forum I though this would be the most logical place to ask ;) .

Anyway, I'm looking about to have a small job done, I'd like to have a replica 1798 pike head made, the old fashioned way, not just the shape chopped out of sheet metal :rolleyes:. Anyone here interested, give me a price etc etc and I'll think about it.

Cheers!

(EDIT: If the mods know of a better forum to place this then please do)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It maybe worth trying to see if you can find an old-fashioned blacksmith, or maybe someone who makes wrought iron railings and the like. Or maybe you could try contacting a friendly local school or college where they teach metalwork .. could make an interesting project for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

A good blacksmith should be able to it as Alun suggested, if you can find one.

Another way could be to created the pike head in mdf or plaster and get it metal sprayed metal spraying. Assuming you only need it for display purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Cheers Alun and Foamcutter, I'll have to have a scout about for a blacksmith or make a return to my old secondary school :D. I'd prefer it to be of metal and made as they would originally have been made in 1798, its just for show, I'm not planning on starting another rebellion :p

I have pictures of original pikeheads so can provide the 'maker' with plans, rough measurements etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know you would like one made as historically accurate as possible, but how much extra are you willing to pay?
    It wouldn't be too hard or too much work in making one from sheet metal,
    but i'd imagine that original ones were cast iron or steel (maybe not, i'm sure you'd know better). I'd imagine that casting a one off piece like this would be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Mellor wrote:
    I know you would like one made as historically accurate as possible, but how much extra are you willing to pay?
    It wouldn't be too hard or too much work in making one from sheet metal,
    but i'd imagine that original ones were cast iron or steel (maybe not, i'm sure you'd know better). I'd imagine that casting a one off piece like this would be expensive.

I'm no metalworker Mellor, but I'd imagine they would have been formed from one strip of metal, ie, heated, split in two (one side curved down to form the side hook, the other remaining straight to form the main spear head) and then hammered into there respective spear and hook shape. I shouldnt think it'd be too big a job :p, a half hour (or less) work for someone that has the equipment and the know how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Hi there,
    Theres a guy in Bridgetown Co. Wexford who will more than likely be able to do that for you, Finbarr Buttimer, you'll probably get him in the phone directory his wife has a hairdressers in the town. He made a few things for us.

Advertisement