Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked potato

• 29-11-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Its a pathetic question I know, but how long should it take to bake a spud? What temp should I set the oven to and should I wrap it in tinfoil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Depends on the oven and the size of the potato, but what I do is cut a cross into an average size spud, sprinkle it with a bit of salt, cover with tinfoil and then put it directly onto the shelf in the oven at 200c(fan assisted) and it's done in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Thanks Bazmo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I cook them pretty much the same as Bazmo but without the salt. Bazmo, is there any reason you add the salt or just for flavouring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

do you have a microwave??if so prick it few times with a fork bake on high for 5 ninutes and bung it in a hot oven 160c for ten to 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

never bake a potato in tin foil,only do that if your barbecuing(and pre cook)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

r3nu4l wrote:
    I cook them pretty much the same as Bazmo but without the salt. Bazmo, is there any reason you add the salt or just for flavouring?
    I think it's supposed to draw some moisture from your spuds....ahem!
    county wrote:
    never bake a potato in tin foil
    Oh pray tell o wise one. Why not?

BaZmO* wrote:

Oh pray tell o wise one. Why not?

a baked potato should be crisp,this will never happen if its wrapped in tin foil,the skin will be soggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Wrap in tin foil. Cooks the potato better by retaining the heat and steam. If you want it crisp skinned take the foil off for 10 minutes at the end.

nipplenuts wrote:
    Wrap in tin foil. Cooks the potato better by retaining the heat and steam. If you want it crisp skinned take the foil off for 10 minutes at the end.
    i`ll agree to disagree on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I put oil on the skin sometimes, you can put butter on nearer the end so it wont burn. Makes the skin crispy and nicer to eat. Only worth bothering if you eat the skin of course. I love eating the skins, probably full of crap these days though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ladybiker

Anyone know which is the best spud for baking or will any auld spud do?

Ladybiker :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

car39 wrote: »
    do you have a microwave??if so prick it few times with a fork bake on high for 5 ninutes and bung it in a hot oven 160c for ten to 15 minutes
    will this leave you with a crispy skin? And would you add the cheese/bacon just as you are about to put it into the oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Baked Potatoes, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here's what I do.

Rub with Olive Oil, and some salt.

Whack into the oven at about 180/200 for about 40mins to an hour.

De-lish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I do them this way:

Prick them with a fork, sprinkle with a little bit of Salt and Pepper (just to add flavour to the skins) and sometimes a little bit of oil.
    Nothing new there but here's a hand hint....if you have a metal skewer for your bbqing etc. push that through the centre of the potato and stick it in the oven. this will ensure that the middle of the potato cooks as well as the outer bits..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I do it the right way =D make a 1mm deep cut around the middle the long side of the spud, sit it in a baking tray with a thin layer of salt on the bottom, oven at 190 for 45 minutes to an hour.

Perfecto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Seaneh wrote: »
    I do it the right way =D make a 1mm deep cut around the middle the long side of the spud, sit it in a baking tray with a thin layer of salt on the bottom, oven at 190 for 45 minutes to an hour.

Perfecto.

I use rock salt, draws the moisture out of the potato end product is crispy and I would up the temp to 200oc for 40-45mins. I also bake potatoes this way when making Gnocchi.

Advertisement