Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Accommodation

Options
  • 29-11-2006 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

I have been having problems with the flat i'm renting in Tipperary for the last two months. I moved in 5 months ago. My flatmate and i had no heating, our shower stopped working properly and there was a leakage coming from our bathroom tap and shower. The leakage came out from under the floor boards in our hallway and the stink off it was unreal. Some of these problems have been fixed.
    We were living in horrible conditions. We were cold every night and we had to use other peoples showers. My flatmate and I resulted in getting a cold and flu and still are suffering from it.
    The Landlord wants us to pay the rent for the last mont. It is alot of money. We dont want to pay that much for the horrible conditions we were living in.

I want to know is it right to refuse to pay him the rent for the last month? Even though he has tried to fix the problems but it has taken a long time and to this date we still have problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should call Threshold and ask for their advice.

But the long and short of it is that you do have to pay. You are in a legally weak position if you do not pay.

Can you get another flat?

Antoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Thanks for the advice and yes i contacted Threshold, still waiting for a reply. I hate having to pay the full amount for a freezing cold flat for a whole mont. Do i really have to do that? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes, unless you've agreed something different with the landlord. He will just give you notice to quit if you don't pay and if you can't come to any arrangement. If he wanted he could also pursue you through the PRTB for th back rent.

You will have tenure next month and that will mean it will be a lot harder for him to throw you out (providing you pay the rent).

Maybe Threshold will advise you something different, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do need to pay rent. However, I suggest that you agree with the landlord for a reduction in the rent for the time there was no heating, etc. I suggest an amount equal to what it would have cost to use electric heating + an amount for washing, etc. (say €3 per shower and the cost of using a launderette).

If he won´t agree to a reduction, write to him saying you are paying under protest. Then make a compalint to the PRTB. www.prtb.ie

Advertisement