Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more puppy help

Options
  • 29-11-2006 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

My family have just got a new CKC pup (yes I know...Awww!). They live on a fairly busy road and I just wondering can anyone offer any advice on how to train the pup not to go near the road. We have a gate but I can't rely on that being closed 100% of the time. We have another CKC and he never goes near to road, he's 7 now and I can't remember how I actually got him to do that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Other than "habit" there is no training that insures a dog stays off the road. Given a big enough incentive, any dog will eventually succumb to temptation and forget about its habits and just venture out.

With two dogs now, that should be a big enough incentive for your family to make that gate dog-proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

No dog, even one that "does'nt go near the road" should be left unsupervised outdoors in an area where there is a chance of escape into a public area.
    If you get a dog, specially a second dog, you should be responsible enough to know that your dog should be under your supervision at all times specially outdoors.

Its like saying, "if im in a shopping center, how can I teach my 5 year old child to stand absolutely still outside the door while I shop for an hour". Unrealistic and irresponsible.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Choices are get another gate further back so you have a double gate system, or get a dog run. No dog can be trained not to go near a road, instinct takes over and if they see something they will go for it.
    You do realise that pure bred dogs are being stolen left right and center at the moment, I wouldn't take my eye off them..too many dodgy people around some have the cheek to walk straight into your garden, take the dog from under your nose.
    It only takes a split second for a dog to get stolen/run over.

Advertisement