Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo (1.4) timing belt

Options
  • 29-11-2006 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just booked my car in for a timing belt change in Dublin.

It is a 1996 1.4 VW Polo.
    Was quoted circa €400 for the job.

sound like a good price?

any info appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Howitzer wrote:
    Hi,

I have just booked my car in for a timing belt change in Dublin.

It is a 1996 1.4 VW Polo.

sound like a good price?

any info appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds not too bad, I've heard anything from €350 upto €700. Make sure you get the service book stamped and keep the receipt for it as it will be a good selling point for the car.

Are you getting it from a main dealer/SIMI garage/back street garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was quoted 280 for my 1.4 Audi A2 at Clandillon's in Celbridge. Almost the same engine, so should be same price for the Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

cheers for the info

Gettin it done in a VW dealer in Rathgar.

It's a convenient location for drop off / pick up.

Any more than 400 and I'd shop around a bit harder

Cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Howitzer wrote:
    :eek:
    A friend of mine recently had the timing belt done on his 97 1L Polo. €60 for labour, but he supplied the belt (€25). That was in a car dealer/tyre place in Leixlip.

A mate recently paid €250 (parts and labour) in a Honda dealer to have his belt done in his Civic VTI. The engine bay in the VTI is jammed with all sorts of stuff like a/c, p/s etc., unlike the Polo. The garage were nearly apologetic for it costing so much, but they stressed it was because conditions in the engine bay were so tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you're getting that Polo belted, get them to check the water pump too. There's a known but hushed problem in that the pump impeller is plastic and is press-fitted onto the shaft. If/when the impeller cracks, the pump shaft rotates alone and overheating is only a matter of time. Head gasket could go too. I believe the pump is easy to replace when the belt is being done - you could end up paying for the job a second time otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement