Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chassis number identification

Options
  • 29-11-2006 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I would like to date the actual manufacturing date and year of any car. The chassis numbers vary in letters and digits. If a cars number plate is 05, is it possible that the car may have been built in 03? One car I owned, I was able to date it using an example in an old edition of autocar. I was able to figure out that it had been built in 1982 but its first owner purchased it in 1984, according to its log book. Where could the car be for two years before 1st ownership. It was only a fiesta. What would take so long in selling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Your car is a facelift Corolla isn't it? has to have been built in 04 at the earliest. production roughly 4 months before the dealer received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

It is not unusual for a fully loaded (high spec) and so expensive cars, from say a less mainstream / budget manufacturer to remain with the distributors (unsold) and left in a compound for 12 - 24 months.

Would not have thought a Fiesta would lie around for so long, but you never know.

It will be interesting to see if Citroen only bring in the new C6 to order. One of those could sit around for quite a while, unless of course dealer registered as a demo car. The new Alfa 159 sales seem pretty poor compared to when the 156 was new. A few of those could potentially hang around for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cars can be hanging around fields of vehicles for quite a long time, as I recall when the UK hit a downturn in 1991 thousands of cars spent up to 3 years sitting in the weather.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

http://www.autobaza.pl/ab/en/web/productaa0100

Cant remember if it gave the exact date, Jus enter your vin number and away you go

Bazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That site allegedly only does the dates in the "commercial version" :(
    I think I found out from somewhere else my car was built a couple of months before it was registered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement