Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test american style

Options
  • 29-11-2006 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of threads criticising the irish test as being sub standard. Don't know what you'd make of the US driving test then!

I did my test there last Saturday in Boston. Only took 2 weeks to get a date. I arranged my test through this dubious character called Dominique. i think he has "special arrangements" with testers. I did the test in his car with the tester, another tester guy in the back and the second person who does his test on the second part of the route.

I started adjusting the rear view mirror and the tester said "we won't be using mirrors on this test" :eek: I pulled out drove 100 yards and pulled over. I reversed 10 feet, pulled back out, turned right at a stop sign, took another right and pulled over. Test complete!!

The other guy doing the test with me was something to behold. I pulled up the handbrake when pulling over. He got in and spent 15 seconds trying to push down the brake with his hand, he couldn't operate it. He told the tester his hands were cold! He had to have the tester put down the brake for him. He then did his reversing, no problem except that he never changed into drive afterwards. We nearly hit a car behind us taking off. And after all that, I think he passed!

I actually had trouble keeping a straight face when a woman told me she had failed the test twice (drove off with the handbrake on apparently)! Apparently if you do the test during the week, you have to do the other stuff listed on the test such as parallel parking (left and right), 3 point turn etc.

Its made me think the irish system is not so bad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

vorbis wrote:
    I arranged my test through this dubious character called Dominique.
    Why, as a matter of interest?
    I pulled up the handbrake when pulling over. He got in and spent 15 seconds trying to push down the brake with his hand, he couldn't operate it.
    Few Americans use the handbrake apparently.
    Also maybe you don't know your own strength :)
    He then did his reversing, no problem except that he never changed into drive afterwards. We nearly hit a car behind us taking off. And after all that, I think he passed!
    What do you expect when the test is arranged through a 'dubious character' ? Seriously.
    Actually if 'Dominique' was any good at his job, you wouldn't have had to bother turning up for a test at all... :eek:
    Its made me think the irish system is not so bad!
    Whether other countries are better or worse is irrelevant, we know the Irish driver education/testing system is not fit for purpose and the proof is to be seen all around us every day

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I have a US drivers license (State of Illinois) and have to say the test was very thorough. Firstly there was a written test in an exam centre which wasn't too difficult although most people sitting the test (all ages from about 16-80!) failed it on the afternon I sat it. All the manoeuvering was tested in a car park with cones and we then had a 30 minute drive mostly around the 'burbs and A-roads. I passed without a mark against me and the examiner commented he never had that happen before. Admittedly, I had my UK license for 3 years at this point so I found it all straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

My friend did the test in Alabama and had the handbrake on the whole time. Neither he nor the instructor noticed until he had to do a hill start. He still passed.

I did mine in Pennsylvania and it was pretty easy. Basically out of the car park, make a right, and make another right back into the car park again. There was a truck blocking where we were supposed to do the parallel parking, so we skipped it.

The biggest difference is the waiting time. No appointments in Pennsylvania or Alabama. Just show up, take a number, and you are doing the test within 20 minutes. The only rule they have (in PA at least) is that you cannot take it twice in the same day, so if you fail you just come back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Did mine in Minnestota about three weeks ago. Handy enough. Basically you sit a knowledge test (similar to the theory test back home) than a behind the wheel test in a overgrown, signposted, traffic-controlled car park. You have to drive as normal obeying signs and lights parallel park, reverse park, park on a hill and a hill start (LOL).

Driving on the freeways is dead handy, but get into the cities and the game raises a bit. Signs, lanes and junctions galore. TBH in some ways Id rather be driving a country road in ireland, just keep it on the black and yer alright!

The waiting time, you can book in advance (nearest for me was four weeks) or you can que and wait for a slot. Had my test in licence within 2 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ninja900 wrote:
    vorbis wrote:
    I arranged my test through this dubious character called Dominique.
    Why, as a matter of interest?

Probably because that's what his parents named him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

out of curiosity, would i need to do anything to drive in america on a temporary basis or would my full irish license suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AFAIK a US driving test does not differ between a car with a manual or auto gearshift. An American can exchange their licence for an unrestricted Irish one even though they may have done a test in an automatic. Seems a bit unfair when one gets a restricted licence here if the test is done in an auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

AFAIK a US driving test does not differ between a car with a manual or auto gearshift. An American can exchange their licence for an unrestricted Irish one even though they may have done a test in an automatic. Seems a bit unfair when one gets a restricted licence here if the test is done in an auto.

it does. my old boss' mot had to resit her test when she arrived here with a license from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

??? Americans cant exchange theirs for ours full stop...
    Even Canadians while they can change theirs in Britain (commonwealth country etc) can only change for an automatic.. used to be otherwise but it was changed a few years back.

Trust me though.. Unless you have some diplomatic ties... No American can drive here without going through the same stuff we do.

And on the test being easier.. im sure it is.. why? Its simple... pretty much all American children learn to drive in school. And most people drive automatics. So mostly Americans are safer and slower drivers than we are. The test does not need to be as tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One thing: the handbrake. What limited experience I've had with driving, the car doesn't move if the handbrake is on, so wtf? How did you not notice the handbrake was on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

the_syco wrote:
    One thing: the handbrake. What limited experience I've had with driving, the car doesn't move if the handbrake is on, so wtf? How did you not notice the handbrake was on?
    As you said.. limited experience :D

Ever notice a car drive by and there is a high pitched squeeling noise coming out of it? That car has its handbreak on and its driving! You can drive just fine with it on... well it will be more sluggish etc but it will move... try it next time you are in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The engine is better at pulling than the brake is at stopping. It'll pull the car along with the brake on. You'll also feel the back end lift up when initially putting pressure on it. Just a seriously bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did my test in Portland, Oregon and it was unbealieveably straight forward. 15mins of saturday morning driving among little traffic, incl reversing parrallel to the kerb and knowing some traffic signs. Thats it.

Driving in the USA is so stressless relative to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Saruman wrote:
    ??? Americans cant exchange theirs for ours full stop...
    I stand corrected then, Saruman. There was a post here several months ago on that subject and that is where I gained this (mis)-information. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Saruman wrote:
    ... pretty much all American children learn to drive in school...
    According to what I've heard from real yanks, this is not true. Driver's Ed courses are run in many high schools, but it is extra-curricular and I assume it ain't free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The reason why US licences cannot be exchanged here is because many states have such basic tests.

AFAIR some EU countries will allow a swap for licences issued by certain US states where they have comprehensive tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saruman wrote:
    And on the test being easier.. im sure it is.. why? Its simple... pretty much all American children learn to drive in school. And most people drive automatics. So mostly Americans are safer and slower drivers than we are. The test does not need to be as tough.
    I'd be interested to see some solid statistics on this (i.e. no deaths per 1k miles travelled), but the U.S. has a higher rate of road death and injury than Ireland and the UK. That said, they have statistically more vehicles, drive a lot more, and have longer distances to travel, which is why I'd like to see a solid comparison of the figures.

My brother got a full licence in New Mexico, and the test was much like in the Simpsons. Drive around a few traffic cones in a car park, stop and reverse, and hey presto a full licence. I would consider that test the bare minimum you should need to get a provisional licence in this country. He came home and promptly failed the Irish test :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

My friend did his test in Boston, and he literally went around the block once. That was it. It was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

A few misconceptions floating around here. I was born and raised in the US and did my Driver Ed in high school and got my license there when I was 17 (er, many years ago).

Driver Ed courses in high schools (like everything else in US public education) really depend on the locale. In rich towns they have them with all the bells and whistles, including dedicated cars in which to teach. In poorer communities, they might not have it at all. Our school had full-on simulators (this was in the 1970s) and cars.

I have taken written and on-the-road driving tests in Massachusetts and Florida as well as here in Ireland. Both of the driving tests in the US were significantly easier than over here but also much more "real-world" based.

US licenses do differentiate between those who are only authorised to drive automatics and those who have no such restrictions.

IMHO, it is not the US that has odd attitudes to the handbrake: it's Ireland (and maybe also the UK). Over here, they are completely obsessed with it. From the way driving instructors and testers talk, you'd think the handbrake was the most important part of the entire car. Never mind the driving test, which features such immediately applicable real-world skills like reversing around a corner (why?) and a version of the three-point turn that requires two separate applications of the handbrake and about 35 mirror checks. Needless to say, I don't know anyone who does either of these things in the real world. Meanwhile, at no point in the Irish test are you ever required to prove that you can parallel park, which is something that you might find yourself doing, oh, multiple times per day....

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Never mind the driving test, which features such immediately applicable real-world skills like reversing around a corner (why?)

Apparently the reason for this is you 'by law' are not supposed to drive headfirst into a one entrance driveway. If reversing out of a one entrance driveway and someone hits you, you are the one who is in trouble......Don't ask me why or how but my driving pre-tester fella told me it yesterday morning before my test (which i passed, first go an all!...../holds for applause)

I agree with a lot of your points especially the handbrake thing. I feel it is unnecessary to use the brake that many times in the 3-point turn (turnabout) if on a level road. Also, when stopped at lights on a level road.

And yes, I feel parallel parking should be included in the test. how many times have you seen someone go to far and bumper the car in front or behind.

People should also know the dimensions of their cars, length and width, as, no offence ladies, I see more women than men have trouble with this, i.e; driving alongside the left of a car waiting to turn right when theres no room or the complete opposite, when theres plenty of room and they feel they wont fit despite the fact a bus could go through it sideways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

It's nothing to do with a woman's driving skills, men simply have better spacial awareness. It's in their physical make up. Women are worse at judging distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Chunks wrote:
    I agree with a lot of your points especially the handbrake thing. I feel it is unnecessary to use the brake that many times in the 3-point turn (turnabout) if on a level road. Also, when stopped at lights on a level road.

The idea behind using it when stopped at lights is so that if you get rear-ended then there's less chance of your car being pushed into the junction.

I don't think you're required to use the handbrake during a 3-point turn. Driving instructors might recommend doing it, as if you're on a cambered road, your car could roll back and touch the kerb when you take your foot off the brake, earning you a grade 2 fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chunks wrote:
    Apparently the reason for this is you 'by law' are not supposed to drive headfirst into a one entrance driveway. If reversing out of a one entrance driveway and someone hits you, you are the one who is in trouble......Don't ask me why or how but my driving pre-tester fella told me it yesterday morning before my test (which i passed, first go an all!...../holds for applause)
    It is illegal in Ireland to reverse from a minor road onto a major road. This restriction extends to private property, such that it is illegal to reverse from your property onto a public road. Every time you reverse out of your driveway in the morning, you're breaking the law. :)

I have no problem with testing the reversing around the corner manouver in principle. You may only use that specific manouver twice in your lifetime, but reversing and turning accurately at the same time will occur time and time again.
    I see no need to use the brake myself on a three-point turn, but there seems to be a general belief in this country that if at any time you need to change gear while stopped, you should apply the handbrake first in case you stall it and the car jumps.

Applying your handbrake when first in the queue at lights is a contentious one. If you're struck from behind, you may release the footbrake, causing your vehicle to jump into the junction. But if you have your handbrake applied, it may take longer than normal to start off.
    People should also know the dimensions of their cars, length and width, as, no offence ladies, I see more women than men have trouble with this, i.e; driving alongside the left of a car waiting to turn right when theres no room or the complete opposite, when theres plenty of room and they feel they wont fit despite the fact a bus could go through it sideways.
    Indeed. My SO is often shocked by how close I drive to the side of the road, or the gaps I sometimes squeeze my vehicle through. Sometimes I'm white-knuckled when she's almost driving on the white line in order to leave a 3m gap for a cyclist. There's nothing more irritating than going out of your way to make room on your right or left for traffic to pass, only to have someone sit there holding up traffic because they think they need a 2m gap to get through. Driving down some of the suburban streets in London would give a lot of people a shock in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Chunks wrote:

People should also know the dimensions of their cars, length and width

So, knowing how long and wide your car is will help you park ? what do you do, carry a tape around with you and measure the spaces ? you either have spacial awareness or not..... and for the giggle, how long and wide is your vehicle in meters ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

the Massachusetts driving test does actually have parallel parking (left and right), 3 point turns and some other stuff listed on it. I went through the Dominque guy as the tester he uses chooses to ignore most of it! Apparently if you do your test during the week its much harder.

I agree that we might use the handbrake too much but jesus you should still be able to operate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

one of the tips i got from doing an advanced course was when waiting in a line of traffic is to put the car in neutral and put the handbrake on, particularly if you are travelling a long distance. its amazing how less tired your legs feel when not having to put pressure on both pedals. i've put that into practice quite a bit. all the time with the left leg pressed all the way to the floor and the right leg on the brake pedal does add up over a long trip.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

oleras wrote:
    So, knowing how long and wide your car is will help you park ? what do you do, carry a tape around with you and measure the spaces ? you either have spacial awareness or not..... and for the giggle, how long and wide is your vehicle in meters ?:D

Just over 4 metres long and just short of 2 metres wide. Smart arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

digweed wrote:
    one of the tips i got from doing an advanced course was when waiting in a line of traffic is to put the car in neutral and put the handbrake on, particularly if you are travelling a long distance. its amazing how less tired your legs feel when not having to put pressure on both pedals. i've put that into practice quite a bit. all the time with the left leg pressed all the way to the floor and the right leg on the brake pedal does add up over a long trip.

D.

Interesting, I'll give that one a go, it make perfect sense. Must admit I tend to wait with legs on the pedals.

I've been driving an automatic for the last month where it's the other way round using your right leg for everything. No handbrake either just one of those annoying footbrake things you operate with your left leg, I just ignored it. Guess it could only work in an automatic, otherwise you'd need three legs to do a hill start :)

Advertisement