Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carina Started Work.

Options
  • 29-11-2006 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

So got the car along to fas today, to start the bodywork on it, took a few pic's,

The wing was pretty fecked managed to slap it up nice and got a good skim into it, might get it on the second one,

drivers 1/4 panel, had been painted before and moisture was caught under the primer da'd it down with 180.

the passangers 1/4 had damage like a somone rubbed up against a pillar, hoping to get it into primer by tomorrow and into paint by friday! the lads could'nt belive how clean it was for a 16yo car either can i for that matter.

-VB-

Thanks again Fletch!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that car from NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Should turn out a nice car. Keep taking the pics as you go on.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Its from uk, getting it vrt'd tomorrow.

-VB-

Got the car into primer today rub down with 600 wet tomorrow hopefully get it painted for the good folks at the vrt office, incidently does anybody know what other fee's they charge other than the €315 for the registration like a handling or filling fee's thanks

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Volvoboy wrote:
    Thanks again Fletch!!
    Glad you're happy with it! Good luck with the restoration project and keep us posted! :-) Looking good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's what I like to see, bangernomics at its finest.

Make sure and get a few shots of the end result.

In answer to your VRT query, 25% of the OMSP *here* (as it's a sub 2.0 I presume), the cost of the plates, and tax as desired is what you're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Best of luck with it. It is unusal to find a saloon CarinaII in the UK. Most of them sold there were hatchbacks or estates.

The UK CarinaII GL was also better speced than the Irish model. Things like electric windows and mirrors were only reserved for the 2.0 litre model here at the time.

luverly interior on the GL !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Is this part of a fas project??

Nope towards the end of each class the last two weeks we're allowed to bring in any car that we want and do work on them,

so i got it flated down scotched and pre-clean masked, now it's ready for paint on monday and it's legally here (VRT paid) getting the irish plates on her on monday, still cant get over the extras on it 4X-E/W electric tilt-slide moonroof and electric mirors!!

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

great great car....

have you noticed the size of the sun roof? it's huge, it's almost the width of the roof... loved driving mine with the roof open in summer time...

Well she's now complete, had to paint the entire drivers side so when you look down the side you did'nt have diffrent shades, cleaned up now vrt'd and she looks brand new!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!:)

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

My ex just blew the engine on her Carina - timing belt, but the rest of it is clean - including the interior.

You wantee?

Sorry, ma will have a canary of i bring another car home (We've 4 at the moment) what year, damn i dont want to know the temptation is too great.:(

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Volvoboy wrote:
    Well she's now complete, had to paint the entire drivers side so when you look down the side you did'nt have diffrent shades, cleaned up now vrt'd and she looks brand new!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!:)

-VB-

Lovely job, nice to see it on the road looking so well. Brings back memories of the one my father had many years ago.

Are you going to keep it or sell it on?

Had a load of offers for it, a fella from fas seems intrested in it not too pushed to sell it but if the right offer comes along, who knows.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

thats some nice work. Them cars would go forever.

Would you actually make a profit on it if you sell it? after all the work done on it.

Ok Ok, time to come clean i sold the car yeasterday to a lad in fas, lets just say, I'm having a merry christmas:D

-VB-

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Some hackney driver will be delighted with that!

Nice work, but I just can't warm to old Carina's.

You did a lovely job on the Carina.

Years ago, when my only mode of transport was a pushbike, I lusted after a Camry circa 1988 model. Let me know if you ever get your hands on one:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Lovely job VB !

What course are you doing BTW?

Can you tell me the exact process, the steps you used to achieve that result, like.......beat out the dent, filler, sand (what grade) stopper, sand, primer..........blah blahh ??

gyppo- I'll have my ear to the ground;)

MM- Vehicle Body Repairer (Apprentice)

1- Strip it down to get to the damaged area
    2- Spoon it up with a dolly behind the dent and hit it with a bumping file
    3- Sand off the paint with 40 grit to remove all the paint (so the isopon has somthing to grip to)
    4- Fill with isopon and wait to dry (3 skims of isopon usually gets you a good idea)
    5- Use 40 grit at 1st then finish the repair with 80 grit
    6- DA (electric orbital sander) with 180-320 grit paper to get rid of all the scratch marks left from sanding the isopn
    7- mask around the repair
    8- prime 5:1 mixture
    9- wait for 3-4 hrs for it to dry
    10- spray guide-coat over the primer (Black Spray Paint)
    11- wet sand with 600- grit paper be sure to use a rubbing block (Dont Use Your Hands!!!)
    12- sand the primer until you cannot see the black paint
    13- scotch the panel on the repair, dry it really well
    14- pre clean the panel make sure you wipe it all off to get rid of all the grease and dirt.
    15- mask all the area you dont want paint,
    16- tack the panels (special rag) to get rid of bits of dirt.
    17- paint 0.25 of a litre should do any small repair
    18-laquer
    19- it takes around 2-3 hours to dry.

in the start of the new year solvent based paints will be made redundant for favor of water based paint, in order to work with water base you have to have a licence and proper spary booth (Cheap Booth will set you back €35,000) although companys are allowed to sell the stock they already have.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

gyppo wrote:
    Years ago, when my only mode of transport was a pushbike, I lusted after a Camry circa 1988 model. Let me know if you ever get your hands on one:)

There are two 92 models on CBG that both look in great condition. If you scanned local papers you'd probably pick up an 88 or so eventually. Great car for the money I'd say

re: Camrys, there was a rare 2.0 turbo-d model. very lively, more so than the D-Turbo in the Carina E, strangely.

colm_mcm wrote:
    re: Camrys, there was a rare 2.0 turbo-d model. very lively, more so than the D-Turbo in the Carina E, strangely.

Yep, thats the one, they were a smashing car.

I know someone who has a 89 GL turbo-d in fairly rough order. could be a labour of love, transplant bits off a 2.0 VPi...

Advertisement